Memory cards for the SP-606

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
comradec

Memory cards for the SP-606

Post by comradec »

I'm about to receive in the post a Roland SP-606, which I bought via eBay.

Looking at the many brands of CompactFlash memory cards currently available, there appears to a wide variation in prices, as well as a lot of different specifications on offer.

Has anyone tried using the cheaper brands (e.g. Kingston, Viking, etc.) in their SP-606? And, if so, do these work okay with the unit?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Memory cards for the SP-606

Post by Artemiy »

(Thread moved to SP-x0x Club, our dedicated forum for SP-303/404/505/606)

Viking and Hynix should work fine, but Kingston and Sandisk are always a sure choice. Roland listed some incompatible brands and Transcend is one of them.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Regarding memory cards and formatting; does the card need to be formatted specifically for the 404/606, or can I use it interchangably with my V-Synth? That would be very handy when importing wav-files from my V-Synth.

regards, Hugo
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

They are all formatted at FAT16 as I know, and usually each Roland synth uses it's own directory tree. This allows you to use one card for several synths and also easily exchange data between them. For example, I have successfully used a CF card in V-Synth and Fantom-X6 - V-Synth uses .prj folders and X6 had it's "roland" folder. It should be easily possible to use a V-Synth CF card with 404/606, but I suggest you read the manual to see what directory tree they have.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Hmm, it would appear that a memory card must be formatted on the sp-404 in order for the unit to recognise it:
"Do not modify or delete any files or folders created when the
memory card was formatted. The SP-404 will be unable to
recognize the card correctly if you do so." (page 38)

But at the same time you can use a computer or other device to copy audio files (wav & aiff) to it, suggesting I could indeed put the memory card in my V-Synth as long as it's formatted on the sp-404.

And another thing - it says that 'The loop point settings of a AIFF file will be ignored' - it sounds like this means that loop points in a wav file will be read, something which would be very, very cool. But will the V-Synth export wav files with integrated loop points? I remember it doesn't read loop points itself, so it probably doesn't let you set loop points either...or?

regards, Hugo