Imp. files with PC on card (SP404)

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Obi1r

Imp. files with PC on card (SP404)

Post by Obi1r »

Quite happy with the new incarnation of my fav. sampler after owning the first Bosses, particularly because of the Wav/Aiff format now used.
But importing them isn't really that easy...
I have samples layed out in certain banks.
I thought the best way add new samples is to put the CompactFlash card in the reader/writer of my PC, drag the wav files onto it and put the card into the SP 404. This all goes well, but;
Getting the sample onto the right pad is very time consuming.
It start importing all the files from the card into the banks, and there no way I find to just import ONE sample.
It starts importing all the samples from the card, and in alphabetical order.

Anyone having a tip, how to import just one sample onto a pad where I like it to be would be a great help.

Another thing is; quite sometimes I just hear the first 0.5 second of a sample, in all (card) banks- after a restart mostly the sound normal again.
I use a Kingston card. Anyone else experience this?
Tomorrow I get a Sandisk 1 Gig (Ultra II) card, and will post my findings here.

But about importing samples,
Now I have to rename all my samples (on my PC) and thinking clearly ahead where they are gonna be laid out later because I like them to have on certain pads- which is quite understandable yes?-
Pffff....
Probably it quicker to just record the analog way into your sampler, if i wanna add a new sample anywhere...
without the risk my samples are rearranged onto the pads, overwritten when I try to import that ONE sample from the card.

Thoughts anyone?
Hugo

Re: Imp. files with PC on card (SP404)

Post by Hugo »

Hmm, that sounds a little strange. Have you checked the manual? I haven't got the unit myself yet, but probably have within the next month.

As you suggest, a way to 'solve' this problem would be to name the samples accordingly, so that all your loops are named a01, a02, a03, all your oneshot efx b01,b02, b03 etc.
A bit time consuming perhaps, but on the other hand it could give you a clear overview of the different projects...?

regards, Hugo
Obi1r

1 gig card now.

Post by Obi1r »

The manual is not really clear or going deep into this..

The thing is, I tried to fill up my machine by loading from the card and I wanted to skip a few pads here and there because I wanted to leave some pads blanc, to fill it up later. To have a little order in sounds and where they need to be layed out.
Well- this is just not possible while loading samples from your card in any way.
You can edit and save perfectly in your PC (in soundforge for example) on your card- but mind: All samples will load in Stereo and you should think in advance to name your samples in alphabetical order cause this is the way the SP404 loads them and lay your samples on the pads- without skipping one.
I mean, if you load 25 samples in empty banks they are gonna be in bank C, D, and the last sample will be in E pad 1.

I have the idea that the 1 gig (Sandisk Ultra II) card works faster and smoother than the Kingston one, cause I said earlier, sometimes all samples played from the Kingston card just played 0.5 seconds. When switching off and on again, it worked normally again... (I think because the Sandisk card is faster and the Kingston is a basic model- at least I hope its like this)

Well anyway, the 1 gig card gives me a massive sound storage!

But, if you want to load a sample in a certain pad- you must do this the old fashioned way: Analog recording.
Maybe I ask too much if Roland could develop further loading possebilities, but for the price I am not complaining for what you get. A MPC costs twice as much...
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I have not had much time to play with it but
1 suggestion would be to store some tiny samples alpha newmericaly in the card in the order you want blanks
then use del to delete them after loading..
since there small it should not take more than couple of sec to clear them

X-Bugs.org
(Become part of the solution)

Results not Excuses

QuinnX universal tranlator below:-
(lets not be misunderstood)

!!!!!! Emphasis not anger
!!?? Confusion or Stupidity
ABC are you getting the point
&*$% Anger (but rarely seen)

Fantom-X6 with Audio Track Expansion (OS 2.0)
Windows 2000
Intel P4 2g
512mb
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

On second thoughts, that probably wont work that way, but if you do as suggested in the previous post, but instead of deleting the samples, use excange pad to excange it with an empty pad from one of the other banks.

so let say you want the following layout

1 sample
2 sample
3 sample
4 empty
5 sample
6 sample
7 empty
8 sample
9 sample
10 sample
11 empty
12 sample

you load
sample 001
sample 002
sample 003
sample 004< small sample
sample 005
sample 006
sample 007 < small sample
sample 008
sample 009
sample 010
sample 011<small sample
sample 012

every time you load you can use Exchange pad to moves
samples 4 7 11 to another bank and you will now have
empty pads

and if you do create new samples you want to keep
then next time you load you can use pad excnage to move them to free up some pads again.

or you can just ignore the small sample suggestion altogether and just keep using pad exchange every time you load on any of the sample pads you want to free up.

X-Bugs.org
(Become part of the solution)

Results not Excuses

QuinnX universal tranlator below:-
(lets not be misunderstood)

!!!!!! Emphasis not anger
!!?? Confusion or Stupidity
ABC are you getting the point
&*$% Anger (but rarely seen)

Fantom-X6 with Audio Track Expansion (OS 2.0)
Windows 2000
Intel P4 2g
512mb
Obi1r

cool, now a new challenge...

Post by Obi1r »

Great- very cool and creative!
New challenge now must be:
How to import 1 sample from the card into a pad of your choice.
(without harming or overwrite the existing samples in your banks ofcourse)
Angstwulf

Post by Angstwulf »

I like Quinnx's idea and I'm going to try that. But that should work for samples created in the SP404 and not on the PC.

While fiddling around I came up with what may be a work around:

I created two folders on my PC each with 120 files numbered A001-012, B001-012 etc. Each file contains one second of silence.

One folder is labeled as a backup to the CF card in the SP404. If I want to add a new sample onto a particular pad and all the locations on the SP404 are filled then I can overwrite the new sample onto the desired location and do a full dump onto the card and conversion onto the sampler. Since all the samples that I want to remain are in the appropriate place on the backup folder they will remain where they are on the SP404.

The other folder is labeled as a blank template. That way, if I want to start a new CF card from scratch I can overwrite the samples onto the template, save the samples in a newly labeled folder and dump them onto a separate CF card.

I hope this make sense.

I also hope that it works in the long run.

Methinks I shall develop an obsession with finding a conversion program that will run on the PC. I will ask about it on every post I make regardless of the topic until I get flamed off of this forum.

No smileys here but youse peoples realize I'm joking.

Right? Right?

Laters,
Tommy