Boss DR880

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
spv1

Boss DR880

Post by spv1 »

Hi Guys, new to this forum...I`m normally in the vtribe and fantom x.

Ok I have a XT Vsyth and a Fantom xa, I would like a drum machine indipedant of both these babys,

Can anyone recommend the Boss DR880,

I like the Tecno beats and electronic beats as well as traditional sounding kits, does anyone know if this baby has them ALL......THE DEMO SITE is not that informative.

hope someone can help

thanks steve.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Boss DR880

Post by Artemiy »

I would suggest you go for a sampler with a pattern sequencer, like the SP-303 or better the new SP-404. You will have an ability to create patterns in drum machine style, apply effects to them, and also load *any* drum sounds you desire, like tons of classic sounds from our samples section as well as the Rhythm Galaxy vol. 1 or any other drum/percussion library.
The Un-dr.

Re: Boss DR880

Post by The Un-dr. »

If you're looking for Techno/electronic beats, the 880 only has roughly 25 preset beats (with bass lines). The 909 or 808 is a better bet for those genres.

But the 880 does cover a lot of ground--most of the styles you could want, IMHO. If you compare the Fantom X, the 880, and the grooveboxes (I have the 909, the 880, and the X8--Why? Don't ask...;-) ), you find that they each have their respective strengths and weaknesses, of course.

The 880 makes it really easy to quickly set up a drum beat/track and, in what is my favorite feature, to add FILLS to a song pattern! And like I said, there many presets to choose from or build from. You can mute the bass lines, of course. If you're a guitar player, you may like the fact you can plug in your guitar to the 880 and add effects.

I don't have a Xa and don't know what it does, really. I think you'll have to find a Guitar Center or whatever to go and try each respective machine.

Either that or post more details about what you're trying to accomplish or the kind of recordings you want to produce.

Good luck!