MC-909 output of choice and your style?

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
breakbeatah

MC-909 output of choice and your style?

Post by breakbeatah »

How many of you choose the digital out vs. the main outs? Is it just me or do you guys notice that the MC-909 outputs a lot of noise, lots of circuitry? Usually I have my output volume at 50%. All my recordings have been this way for the most part. However, I'm interested in trying digital w/ Pro Tools. How are the converters? I'm looking to work with like zero low noise. What are your experiences?
lhm1138

Re: MC-909 output of choice and your style?

Post by lhm1138 »

I haven't tried digital out to a digital in, but I have recorded stuff to the optical in from a Sony MD with optical out, and it worked well...only problem was I couldn't (or couldn't figure out) how to contol the level of the incoming digital audio, so it was a bit too low, and then you have to normalise, which of course normalises any noise inherent in the source audio. Another thing I can't figure out is how to change the normalization default on the 909, is this possible? I have no idea what it's normalizing to, but it seems to be pretty haphazard. What I've started doing lately is not even using the analog inputs on the 909 (the 909's AD converters aren't that great imo...Ensoniq spoiled me), but just recording on my Echo soundcard, mastering the sample in Cooledit Pro (normalizing if I absolutely must, noise reduction, etc), then dumping via USB to the 909, it ends up sounding much better. Actually, I'd like to be where you are, with an MBOX2 and PTLE linked digitally to the MC909, so I'm interested in how well this works as well.