Fixing a MC-909 Value Wheel

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
soulelephant

Fixing a MC-909 Value Wheel

Post by soulelephant »

The value wheel on my mc-909 works but it seems you might have to turn it 3 or 4 "clicks" to move 1 "value".....and if you go to fast it gets worse. If you go slow it seems to work ok.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
breakbeatah

Re: Fixing a MC-909 Value Wheel

Post by breakbeatah »

probly needs cleaning. open it up. i recommend alternating with inc. or dec. value sometimes, to balance the usage. it happens with all gear thats constantly being tweaked.
beatrunner

Post by beatrunner »

the same s*** on my xp-80. seems to be a general roland-gear problem!....but sorry, no other idea then to clean your machine......

good luck!
breakbeatah

Post by breakbeatah »

anything that involves friction over periods of time requires maintanance, any machinary, to industrial. faders, knobs, steering wheels. best thing is to be careful =)
lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

Yeah, the alpha dial on my old DR-5 did this after awhile (yeah, paid $500 for it new back in the day...the stuff you can get with that in today's money!) As I was well past the warranty mark, I opened it up myself and figured it out. I doubt the alpha dial has changed much, there are two resistance pins, and what usually happens is one or the other gets bent down too much from constant useage and has to be bend back up. So carefully, with a precision instrument if need be, and slowly bend it back up and it should work again, good as new. I haven't yet dissected a 909 though, I'm sure it's more complex than ye old Boss Dr5. If you still have a warranty, or doubt you're abilities, it should be an easy fix for an approved tech, who probably won't charge you easy money. ;)