sp-404 sample upload question

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
UFO

sp-404 sample upload question

Post by UFO »

Is there a way to upload a single sample from a CF card to the 404?
For instance, I create a lot of samples on my computer. I put these samples on the CF card from the computer, then imported them into banks C and D. (Banks A & B are filled) I want to upload a new additional sample from my computer, to the CF card, and then import it the 404 to bank E so the 404 will be able to access it via the card. Do I have to erase the whole card to add the single sample from the computer? It seems like anytime I use the import function, I end up importing everything on the card, even if it's been imported already. And erasing the previous samples makes them obviously inaccessable to the 404...

I also use a Korg Electribe ES, and it has the option of uploading a single sample from a card *or* everything on the card. I guess what I'm asking is if the sp-404 has a similar option. I don't see it documented anywhere...
Idllemind1999

Similar question...

Post by Idllemind1999 »

I recently purchased an SP-404 (my first device of this type) I have a 1GB CF card and quickly loaded all my samples (200 or so) in it (in the root after formatting it on the 404) I went thru the load process and it seems to fill up each (requested) bank with the first 12 samples on the card. I would like to know how/If you can load other samples from (if listed in order) further down the list in the card (ie. 13-24 etc.) or should I have purchased several 64MB cards instead of one 1GB card? or do I have to only load what I need to for that particular project and use the card for starage? This is my first stand alone device with external memory. (I have a USB based 12 pad device that I guess has made me spoiled)

Thanks..
dopeboydj

Re: sp-404 sample upload question

Post by dopeboydj »

well as far I know the only way to organize files on the external memory card is to ONLY keep them in the root folder labeled as C_01.wav(Bank C, Pad 1)etc. Card Reader is neccesary...
Mongoose

about memory...

Post by Mongoose »

Let me see if I am reading this thread correclty: So, if I do not have a reader, then it is pointless to get a card over 64mb? Do you think it is worth it to purchase a reader for my PC and go ahead with a 1gb card? I'm totally new to the compactflash flavor of memory.

Thanks.
Mongoose

i just love replying to my own post...

Post by Mongoose »

It is probably worth it to go ahead with the 1gb card because it is required for the system updates. Yes, this does mean you (I) will have to also purchase a compactflash reader/writer for the PC because it is also required to install the update.... yay! :D
UFO

Re: sp-404 sample upload question

Post by UFO »

I still haven't found a way to upload only one sample from the card to the card banks, so everytime I need to add an additional sample, I have to import the entire card again, erasing over the previously imported same samples, waiting in realtime for everything to load, and losing all of the 404 on-board tweaks. I can't believe that such an obvious option such as loading only a single sample has been omitted. Why do cheaper samplers offer this option, but the 404 doesn't? It's a great little machine otherwise.

To Mongoose: Card readers are pretty cheap. I got a 12-in-One for under $40 bucks...it makes life easier.