Playing Samples On The MC 909

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
supermel74

Playing Samples On The MC 909

Post by supermel74 »

Sorry about all the MC 909 questions, but I have another. How do I trigger samples so they play out in their entirety. Even in one shot mode, the whole sample won't play, just a brief second. On other samplers I've used, if you set it to shot, it will play out. On this, even set to shot, it behaves like it is set to gate. This is in TR rec mode. Here's an example: I'm trying to get a 5 second vocal sample to start on the first beat of the first measure, but instead I'm just getting the first millisecond. I have it set to one shot, but it won't play out.

Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Playing Samples On The MC 909

Post by Artemiy »

Not sure how you do this on the 909 exactly, but you need to get to the patch editor, find the TVA Envelope, and set the decay time to the max.
supermel74

Post by supermel74 »

That seems a bit strange. I've never heard of such a thing just to get a full sample to play out. Usually, you just set it to shot and the whole thing plays. I don't why the decay time would be a factor.

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Each instrument has it's own principles. MC-909 is not a sample player, but it's a synth based on a sample player. This means the samples go through all the stuff like structures, filters, TVA, and thus obey the same rules as synth sounds. So decay needs to be set just like on synth sounds.
supermel74

Post by supermel74 »

OK. Thank you for your answers Artemio. I see the logic and I will test it tomorrow.

V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

just curious but... if you are in Track Rec and want the sample to sound for 5 sec why don't you just hold the pad for 5 sec???
There is at least one advantage for this to work like it does. If you have a vocal " TAHDAH " sample you can set the "gate time" to play the exact time you want and also use the same sample to play "TAH TAH TAH DAH". Like Art said, you can use it to work the way you need using the TVA . Although I think it would be possible to implement a "ONE SHOT AFTER HIT" mode, as I remember Roland has always used the " ONE SHOT WHILE PRESSING" version. :-)

o - ...just could not afford the 8
(
\_/
hear what I've done with the 7
supermel74

Post by supermel74 »

I have never had this problem with other Roland samplers. On the SP606 and SP404, a one shot is exactly that.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

1. I am emphasizing this again, 606 and 404 are just samplers, but the 909 and 808 are sampler-based synths. How can it know if you want a drum sound to sound wholly? What if it's a 30-second long phrase sample? It requires more manual tweaking, but then you have a full-blown 4-generator, 10-structure, 8-LFO, 12-envelope synth per patch.

2. Have you seen the "Don't be a menace to the south center..." movie? "YOU DON'T LIKE - YOU DON'T BUY!"

:-D

Sorry I did some beers this eve and feel very sarcastic about many of today's posts.
supermel74

Post by supermel74 »

That still doesn't let Roland off the hook for the OS bugs. Why will they not fix these?

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Somehow there are more people using Roland gear than Korg, even among pros... Remember, for a big company like Roland issuing an update is not just fix-compile-upload. We had many discussions on this here. The best way is to *report* the bug to the nearest Roland office, not express your dissatisfaction on forums.
supermel74

Post by supermel74 »

lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

Get the MV8000.

Just kidding.

Tweaking the ADSR is one way...problem with this, though, is that now you have to save it that way in the patch. Easier way, is In TR Mode, set the note-type to a longer value....whole note and such (o). If you vocal sample has a rhythmic quality, set the bpm in the sample's parameters.
CharliePlatnum

Post by CharliePlatnum »

I just adjust the Release in the ADSR like lhm said...it works fine for chopped samples...and it's the easiest way.....for me anyway.