MC-909 Tip/Trick: using a H256 MB xD card via a xD to SmartM

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
DJFLEX-mk2

HOW TO USE A 256MB xD CARD (YouTube Video):

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

(HISTORY ON THIS): Sorry for so much abstract and fragmented steps here 13 years ago in [Year 2006] it's when I was experimenting to get this working.
***Thanks for the help from the french old web site http://www.mc909.org/ which it's been down for years, originally posted first in french by Nico a.k.a. nico909 on Roland Clan .... [I don't know french, but I did my very best to try to translate this from the past posting info he did,...believe it or not what I could remember] - translation was here also on this old web link http://errorprojects.com/mc-909/ <--"This site been down for years.....and thank you again Nico909......cause without you I would not have gone further and kept trying over and over on trail and error, to see if I can make this to work......**.

((But that's why were all here on Roland Clan Forum to support and help each other on our great New and Old Discontinue Roland Corp. Products. It's us as user's we give them life again, again and again)).

Now in Year 2019 that Roland Corp. Has resurrected the MC-SERiES GROOVEBOX with there first start Roland MC-707/MC-101 GROOVEBOX. There has been a rise again and interest on older MC-SERiES GROOVEBOX But mostly now the Roland MC-303 groovebox, Roland MC-505 groovebox, Roland MC-09 PhraseLab, Roland MC-909 sampling groovebox, Roland MC-808 sampling groovebox. Even though not a MC-SERiES but yes it's a GROOVEBOX -> The Roland MV-8000/MV-8800 Production Studio. Hopefully maybe a

ROLAND MC-909 MKII SAMPLING GROOVEBOX,
ROLAND MC-1000 SAMPLING GROOVEBOX
ROLAND MV-9000 PRODUCTION STUDIO
in the works.....LOL :)

"Mad Props to 16 Steps on (YouTube Video) for making the effort on a New 2019 Video he did and follow this old steps to the Tee". :)

How to use a 256mb xD Card with Roland MC-909:
(YouTube Video)
By 16 Steps
Published Date: AUG 29, 2019

URL LINK ->
https://youtu.be/PZKfakFDhRY

"PLANET ROCK! ~ yO gEt FuNkY"
StephenM

Re: MC-909 Tip/Trick: using a H256 MB xD card via a xD to Sm

Post by StephenM »

Doens't work here,,, XD card is always not recornized after power Up

http://stephenm.be/mc909xd.htm
Site will soon back oniine I guess,
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

OKey, 12 months later,,
I tried the SM to XD adapter again with new XD 256MB type 'Standard' and type H cards
and yes,, the SM to XD adapter seems to work

I didn't need to format both XD cards,
But I saw the MC-909 resetting after formatting the not working type-M

So indeed,, the SM to 256B XD adapter trick seems to work,
That's so Great !! Thanks !!

I use three MC-909's as samplers thru a AMT8 as Patchbay with an atari, SP-16 and ableton
I upgraded the Samples with Maximus, IMPusher and Vengeance MB Compressor Samplitude Batch Mastering Processing

Okey,,
So Don't use Type M or M+ cards,,
they aren't always recognized and never after a fresh startup
Using type 'Standard' or High Speed type H seems to work

Regards
StephenM
bonerton

Post by bonerton »

Thanks for the update StephenM! I bought 2 type H 256mb cards, but have yet to be able to get them to work. I've watched the 16 Steps videos and have read through this thread again and again, but I can't get my 909 to format either of the cards. I always get a "Memory Damaged" message from the 909. I think I fucked up initially and loaded them on my computer via a card reader. I've been searching for some type of low level unix tool to properly reset/reformat these XD cards, but haven't had luck. I've even gone to Goodwill to find old Olympus digital cameras and have formatted the cards with those. The formatting works but when I tried to use the 909 to format, same error message. I've been trying to get this work for months, I'm at my wits end :(
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

The MC-909 can't format a 256Gb XD card, Or my MC909 resets after format,and it was not format correctly

Use tha usb connection and fromat FAT from the computer OSX or win

after a fromat, You need to copy the default dir structure of the card
You can get it from a SM card, or You can use mine: http://stephenm.be/mc909/xd.zip

It really works here, the SM to XD adapter and best the Type-H XD 256 card
Both still available on ebay

Okey, My Three MC-909's have 256 MB XD cards,, Sure you buy the type-H - 256MB XD Card

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/XD-SMC-Ada ... SwaGFZdzHU

https://www.benl.ebay.be/sch/i.html?_fr ... ED+FUJI+XD

And I use this XD USB stick to copy the data faster

I Didn''t' format the XD cards, Just copied the file structure, like the zip link above

https://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Black-Whit ... xyrxZRzmlP
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

Hmmm,
I have a bad XD H Fuji Card,,
copy files with the usb xd adapter, gives errors with total cmd,
I can check the wav files very fast with Extreme Sample Converter

So, Again, I need to buy a XD H card
StephenM

Re: MC-909 Tip/Trick: using a H256 MB xD card via a xD to SmartM

Post by StephenM »

Now I have three bad XD H cards,, I guess, it's better to use XD Standard cards,

Anway, W-30 30Khz samples sounds better than 44.1 samples and sampling with the MC-909
30Khz Mono Samples also take only a little bit of data size, the 16 MB Internal Space is already enough

I guess it's better to boost and enhance 30Khz samples then filtering 44.1 samples,
44.1 Samples maybe need a little bit Lopass filter??

OKey,,
JVDungeon

Post by JVDungeon »

So I bought a brand new XD card and an adapter and was having the "unformatted" error and couldn't connect to USB to format the card. I decided to give up and left the card and adapter on a table and forgot about it.

Just now I accidentally knocked it off the table and the plastic "shell" around the insertion bracket on the adapter popped off and became exposed. Concerned that I broke it I took the XD card out and firmly reinserted it and tried formatting it again. It worked perfectly and now it's formatted. My only theories as to why this worked now is that perhaps the plastic shell is preventing the card from inserting fully. Either the adapter portion into the MC-909 or the XD into the adapter slot.

Hopefully this helps someone.

download/file.php?mode=view&id=4348
Attachments
IMG_2304.jpeg
IMG_2304.jpeg (701.54 KiB) Viewed 37575 times
bonerton

Post by bonerton »

I think I have the same adapter, will try this tonight and report back as I haven't had any luck per my previous postings
bonerton

Post by bonerton »

Wow this totally worked, thanks JVDungeon! Been trying to get this shit to work years!
StephenM

Post by StephenM »

I don't need XD and SM cards anymore for the MC-909
-
Years when paste for getting a hardware sampler
with drag en drop .wav export from EXS
I was always blind thru the MC-808 and XR
-
Finally I found the export botton right below in EXS, pfff, tja
-
Then EXS works perfect to export