MC-909 Tip/Trick: using a H256 MB xD card via a xD to SmartM

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
danx

Re: MC-909 Tip/Trick: using a H256 MB xD card via a xD to Sm

Post by danx »

Well,i received the cards today (Olympus XD H256 & XD-SMC Adapter) and i´ve followed the instructions but when i select USB-Memory Card from the 909 to format in the PC the 909 gives me "Unformated" warning and didn´t connect to the PC.
If i select Internal only the user memory appears.

Any ideas?

Regards
danx

Post by danx »

I believe that the Olympus card is damaged (avoid buy it from Hong Kong) cause i can´t see it even in the PC.

Are you positive that the Fuji H 256 xD card won´t work?

I believe that i can only get that brand right now.

Thanxxx
DJFLEX-mk2

Positive Fuji xD Card failed on me....

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

I'ved used H256 xD Card from Olympus.. With my addapter and it worked perfect. I formated from the PC using MS WIN XP PRO sp2. I had no problems. If you check on Ebay you will still find alot of Olympus H256 xD card. Your card may be bad before you got it.

***Also these adapter have no working parts inside them.... I'm sure its not the adapter.***

My Roland MC-909 internal OS is Updated to v1.23 ... What update you have????

Signing off from DJFLEX-mk2

my home page is:
http://www.myspace.com/djflexmk2

"PLANET ROCK! ~ yO gEt FuNkY"
danx

Post by danx »

I´ve tried with the Fuji H 256 xD card and the 909 do the same thing (unformated-not USB connection).
Could be that the xD-SMC adapter only works as seller said with 128 cards?

I´ll try to find some 128 xD card and test.

My OS is 1.23

Thanks
DJFLEX-mk2

xD-SMC adapter ???

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

***Also these adapter have no working parts inside them.... I'm sure its not the adapter.***

My Roland MC-909 internal OS is Updated to v1.23

OK, then its not the MC-909 it maybe the cable (USB)
or check from your PC in another USB port... Sometimes when you have to many USB CONNECTTION There bad port or not enough +5 volt going into it...

OK wut you can do next you need also a SMART MEDIA CARD even if its at less 64mb or 128mb... Check if from the PC, that the SMART MEDIA CARD reads from there? When connecting the MC-909 with USB cable. Then swap with your xD-SMART MEDIA ADAPTER CARD.... SEE IF THE WINDOWS POPS UP! Then try again to FORMAT FROM THE PC...

How to format an Xd card?

Several users, whose myself, had problems to format their Xd card.

It would seem that the 909 cannot do it... But a solution exists!

You need :

- Xd card,

- Xd / SM adapter

- smartmedia card (32Mb minimum)

- computer.

Once these elements joined together, the procedure is rather simple :

1. Format your SM card from your 909

2. Remove SM, and to replace it by Xd (with the adapter, of course)

3. Connect your 909 on computer by USB (MENU - USB - CARD)

4. Format **[LOW LEVEL FORMAT, DON'T USE FAT32 us FAT for system type FORMAT]** - your card from computer then disconnect (by swintching in pattern mode for ex.)

5. Remove your Xd card, then put your SM in

6. Connect your 909 to Computer

7. Copy ROLAND repertory from card to your computer, then disconnect

8. Put your Xd card in your 909 then connect to computer

9. Copy ROLAND directory in your Xd

my home page is:
[url]http://www.myspace.com/djflexmk2[url]

danx

Post by danx »

I have 2 smart media cards.
Using SM everything works like a charm.
I`ve connected to 909-to-PC using one SM card and then i`ve switched to the xD-adapter-xD card and nothing happens.
I`ve tried to format from PC-909 but PC says: can´t format.

I´m gonna buy an universal card reader to see what´s going on with the xD cards which i suspect have some wrong format.

Btw any app to re-format xD to original factory status from the PC?

Thanks for your kind advice

Danx
DJFLEX-mk2

OLYMPUS H256MB Xd-Picture Card

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

You don't want to re-write your xD card on a card reader to your PC...you will delete by mistake the Facory Marker File called DCIM folder .?? [ MC-909 CARD ]...then set FAT not FAT32..set QUICK FORMAT...SIZE of xD card will read Automatically 249MB. FROM THE MC-909 SLOT hook up with the USB CABLE...do not use Multi-CARD READER. Will Damage your xD card. and delet your DCIM folder drive. right click on this you then left click on FORMAT, you see size 249MB, then set File System at FAT, not on FAT32....then set at QUICK FORMAT ON WIN XP...I DON'T KNOW HOW ON A MAC Computer..... then hit [ok]...then from the PC copy your ROLAND & TEMP file to the xD-Smartmedia Adapter card.....well thats all....

Everyone was having trouble, with the xd card....so this took me like two weeks to figure whats the problem.........I tryed the TYPE-M 256mb xD cards....but they came up with error...then I noticed when I bought the TYPE-H cards from www.Lexar.com there packages - are like labled on the back TYPE-M cards even when there lable as in the FRONT as TYPE-H...also its repackaged with the Olympus xD TYPE-H card, there gave me same error like the TYPE-M cards....... so I figure I tryed to buy it some were else were there not repackaged by some other company using there same Olympus cards...........

****THIS IS WHAT I BOUGHT AT THE at the store before then online, maybe it can be found at other places online......

check here: http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ol25xdpicaty.html

or search here here: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0g ... =&ei=UTF-8

avoid packages like this Image they had the TYPE-H in them but the back said in fine print TYPE-M may not be compatiable....??????

PACKAGE: Olympus 256 MB XD-Picture Card (202030)
256MB xD-Picture Card MODEL: M-XD256H
Mfr Part Number# (202030)
Manufacturer: Olympus America Inc.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/

I had the same problem like this before, its just finding the correct card.

my home page is:

danx

Post by danx »

Since the cards that i have don´t work at all i assume that they`re been already formated-erased.
I´ll try to find a way to re-format to they original factory status.
If that don´t work i´ll buy another Oympus card.

Thanks for your kind advice.
danx

Post by danx »

I`ve bought a multi card reader.
Well with the card reader i can access to the xD cards and i can see the DCMI folder in both (Olympus & Fuji),so the xD SMC adapted must be defective.
I´ll order another one.
danx

Post by danx »

I have notice this:
If i plug the xd SMC Adapter (with the xD card into it ) to the card reader my PC can see the xD card and the DCMI folder...!!

That means that everything works,so why the MC-909 can´t connect USB?

Maybe downgrade the OS?

I´ll do some more test
DJFLEX-mk2

No. You dont have to down grade the OS

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

I have the OS 1.23 on my Roland MC-909, try another USB cable...... The xD-Smartmedia Adapter card may be bad.... But with all this its trail and error... just have to check you don't have a Bad USB Connection on your MC-909 or on your PC mother board.

my home page is:

danx

Post by danx »

I´ve changed the USB cable and tried different ports,computers.
Since the 909 connects perfect internal or with Smart Media card but no with xD adapter & xD card i´m agree that the problem could be the xD adapter despite it works on the Multi card PC Reader.
I´ll order another xD adapter and will check again.

Regards
plutoro

Post by plutoro »

Is the loading time smaller when you use the adapter, comparing to a normal card?

I saw the reading time on the adapter and is faster on papers

Thanks
modularjack

Post by modularjack »

Hello I am having similar problems with my MC909 which I recently purchased off ebay. I have bought a couple of 256mb Type H XD cards which work fine when used in my computer, can copy files back and forth etc, yet when I put it into the adapter and then into the MC909 I cannot use it. It shows the card has 0 megs of 0 megs and when I try to format it I get the message 'memory damaged' which is NOT the case.. the memory works fine when inserted into the computer. Now when I try to go into USB mode for the card (from the MC909 as I was following your steps closely) however it does not work either and gives me the same message Danx got when trying to open USB mode.

So I am 99% certain this must be a problem with the adapter since like I said, the XD card works fine as a standalone XD card. I have tried to use the pictures in this thread to order the correct adapter (ie one that is identical to the ones in your pictures) however that method seems to have failed me because the adapter I ordered looks just like many of the pictures. Anyone have any luck getting this working recently? And who can recommend an ebay seller who is selling the right kind of adapter for these units? I'm just not interested in spending $40 a crack on smartmedia cards that won't even hold the whole memory of the MC, when I can get 256mb XD cards in pairs for $20. But I need to find a working adapter obviously.
lekszing

Post by lekszing »

Hi there!

I am having the same problem with my adaptor - when I try to enter the USB mode for the card with the XD card in the adapter - it says: unformatted.

I tried to format the xd card via my Fuji camera (!) and then copy the ROLAND directory onto the card, and the put it back into the adaptor and into MC909 - doesn't work either.

I am sure the card is fine because it works with the camera. It could be the adaptor or.. ?

Any ideas?

lekszing