Keep tha Groove Alive!!!

Signing off from DJFLEX-mk2

my home page is:
http://www.myspace.com/djflexmk2

"PLANET ROCK! ~ yO gEt FuNkY"
pianodick

Re: MC-909 Tip/Trick: using a H256 MB xD card via a xD to Sm

Post by pianodick »

So am I even close to correct in thinking that this would work as well with my S88? Those smart media cards are getting way too expensive and it would sure be nice to be able to use the less expensive option.

"I believe I have correctly calculated string theory in comparison to Einstein's, inadvertantly and I am afraid!"
pianodick

Post by pianodick »

Well due to the overwhelming response to my query I suppose I shall just have to try it and see.

"I believe I have correctly calculated string theory in comparison to Einstein's, inadvertantly and I am afraid!"
DJFLEX-mk2

How to format an Xd card?

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

Several users, whose myself, had problems to format their Xd card.

It would seem that the 909 cannot do it... But a solution exists!

You need :

- Xd card,

- Xd / SM adapter

- smartmedia card (32Mb minimum)

- computer.

Once these elements joined together, the procedure is rather simple :

1. Format your SM card from your 909

2. Remove SM, and to replace it by Xd (with the adapter, of course)

3. Connect your 909 on computer by USB (MENU - USB - CARD)

4. Format your card from computer then disconnect (by swintching in pattern mode for ex.)

5. Remove your Xd card, then put your SM in

6. Connect your 909 to Computer

7. Copy ROLAND repertory from card to your computer, then disconnect

8. Put your Xd card in your 909 then connect to computer

9. Copy ROLAND directory in your Xd

my home page is:

D.U.Soul

Post by D.U.Soul »

Has anyone tried the 1GB XD cards....do they work in the adapter?
DJFLEX-mk2

1GB XD cards, don't bother.

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

I used a OLYMPUS H256MB Xd-Picture Card(TM) Model:M-XD256H, TYPE-H meaning higher speed, the spec's are: writes speed at 9MB/s, Reads speed at 15MB/s.....

Don't use TYPE-M 256MB xD cards. They do not work also there writes slower speed at 2.5MB/s, Reads speed at 4MB/s........and they do not format with Windows XP...ok to format these cards you just connect the MC-909 with USB cable, then you see on the screen pop up as Removable I:> drive. right click on this you then left click on FORMAT, you see size 249MB, then set File System at FAT, not on FAT32....then set at QUICK FORMAT ON WIN XP...I DON'T KNOW HOW ON A MAC Computer..... then hit [ok]...then from the PC copy your ROLAND & TEMP file to the xD-Smartmedia Adapter card.....well thats all....

Since the MC-909 can load 272 Mb MAX (16mb+256mb)=272MB....a H256 xD card is fine enough.

Your DIMM memory modual goes only to 256MB max.....we tryed using a 512MB DIMM MEMORY MODUAL but the unit was not stable......plus the unit was designed....to save in the memory 256MB.

At one time the company that makes the Smartmedia cards were going to put out a 256mb Smartmedia card...but they discontinue this idea..and just just stayed making only the 128MB Smartmedia cards. this was in 2001.

I said before just have, as backup two 128 MB Smartmedia cards....then get your xD card reader...and just start using the OLYMPUS H256MB Xd-Picture Card......plus with get a USB Multi-CARD READER....meaning it can read smartmedia cards.....and other cards from your PC.

my home page is:

Kartoshka548

XD won't recognize

Post by Kartoshka548 »

After upgrading OS (it's fairly new mc909 from ebay),

I formatted the XD from PC (mc909 USB mode, OS v1.23), using quick format and fat; — but what 909 told me—and PC—is that it's 15.5 Mb card only (olympus 256H XD, exactly as pictured on page 1 of this thread).

Now. After successfull transferring of ROLAND directory to the XD card (of what 909 recognized as 15.5Mb), powering off and ON again, XD is not recognized anymore.

Formatting from 909 opens a "memory damaged" screen, USB mode for XD not possible anymore as "card not ready" or something like this.

Will try to format XD from card adapter i hope i can get at work. Updates in a day, maximum two.

Anyone with similar probs, or even solutions?
DJFLEX-mk2

Don't FORMAT FROM THE PC, YOUR xd CARD.

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

***I'm using the OS1.23, and tested my own artical again.....it still works!!!***

!!! don't FORMAT FROM THE pc !!!
Your xD Card 256MB[TYPE-H]......with a card reader, you will damage it by errasing the factory marker files on your xD Card. And Don't Format your xD/SMARTMEDIA adapter from you MC-909 you will still errase the FACTORY MARKER FILES.

FORMAT by connecting your MC-909 w/usb cable.
Then from your PC follow the instruction I place on top here on my comments. Formating with your xD/Smartmedia Card Adapter thats on your MC-909.

Then you can Tranfer the files from your PC with the USB cable connected to your MC-909 the exact files and root files like you had copy before from your original SMARTMEDIA FILE. To do this process you have to at less have a SMARTMEDIA card, so you can copy the original file from it, to place that in a folder on your PC.

***"The reason for this you will damage your xD CARD...cause you will errase the [factory marker files] if you formate your xD card from your PC with a xD card reader. If this fales - check that your using the xD 256mb [TYPE-H] card.....in other country's it might be lable differently by just saying (xd 256mb) only with out the TYPE-H labled?? make sure the package say **[OLYMPUS H256MB Xd-Picture Card(TM) Model:M-XD256H, TYPE-H]**.....but make sure your not using **[TYPE-M]** this are slower reading xD card...thats why the MC-909 won't allow to read them. If you formated from your PC w/usb cable to your MC-909 w/SMARTMEDIA adapter and it formated only 15.9mb then that card was already bad. It should format to 256mb***

I've done alot of test to check whats the correct xD card to use in the past. Took me awhile. Also as a Tip, When formating from the PC your xD/SMARTMEDIA card...make sure you disconnect your USB connection....you don't have to take the cable off..just exit out of your MC-909 USB connection....when swaping back and fourth your 128mb SMARTMEDIA CARD to your xD/SMARTMEDIA adapter. I notice that, from the PC when i tryed to formate setting was still reading 128mb ?? ....I think you were using a 15.9mb SMARTMEDIA CARD....and you did not refresh you MC-909. when swaping cards just disconnect the USB setting from the MC-909. Hope this info help?

If you have question I'll do my best to answer them.

Good luck.

my home page is:

Kartoshka548

XD is not damaged.

Post by Kartoshka548 »

When inserted (XD to SM adapter with Olympus XD 256H) inside, it shows 256M FAT16 disk, all ok,
contents: DCIM folder.

Also, XD itself (without SM-to-XD) shows the same 256M FAT16.
also contains DCIM folder.

(both of them were in same card reader)

I got today SM128, inserted it too, and it too shows 128Mb FAT16. all works on MAC (probably PC too).

SM names the card 'NO NAME', XD names it 'UNTITLED'.
So i changed the label name. now my xd is NO NAME :-)

DCIM folder deleted.
Came home, still. Can't understand why the mc909 can't read my XD card.

Next time i'll try to put Roland dirctory from SM on the XD.
But i doubt if it will work even then.

I attach the image. .. see the details of the XD.

Vlad.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hey brother :-D
DJFLEX-mk2

Oh I did not know you were using a MAC?

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

My instruction are for PC, Sorry....I never tested with MAC.
But i guess the instruction follows sort of the same???

DCIM folder deleted.?? [ MC-909 CARD ]...then set FAT not FAT32..set QUICK FORMAT...SIZE of xD card will read Automatically 249MB. FROM THE MC-909 SLOT hook up with the USB CABLE...do not use Multi-CARD READER. Will Damage your xD card. and delet your DCIM folder MC-909 CARD

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought another new xD 256H card, one from the store over this weekend to check again if my steps work with the new OS 1.23...and it still works.

Well hope this info helps......I'll see on my end what I can still come up with.

my home page is:

Beantown

SMC/XD Adapter

Post by Beantown »

I would recommend this adapter to anyone who needs smartmedia storage. Such as owners of the MC909, and the Fantom-S, which is still my weapon of choice. Smartmedia cards are obsolete, and very hard to find. Most likely when you find them you will have to pay an arm and a leg. The adapter is a good way to go to get around this problem.
If you need to get one of these adapters, contact Lynn Phillips at conchosoft@gmail.com.

Also, does anyone know if the 1 gig XD cards can be recognized by the roland machines? This would increase the memory storage space exponentially.
DJFLEX-mk2

512mb xD & 1 gb xD cards can not be recognized by the Roland

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

512mb xD & 1 gb xD cards can not be recognized by the Roland MC-909 machines. I already tested and try this....and Wrote the info on the begining of this section of this forum.
I Wrote a Articles Note about this why the Roland MC-909 is not able to see 1gb xD cards. Here is what I Wrote :

**[UPDATE 09/07/2007 Friday 06:03 PM E.S.T.] I try to see if a xD H512MB card will work, I have tryed this already. But with no luck, since the MC-909 can load 272mb MAX (16mb+256mb) = 272mb - this will remain the MAX that this unit memory's can handle....it seem that by design this unit is limited to xD H256MB cards. Because of the O.S. ..., At one time the original maker's were getting ready to make a 256MB SMARTMEDIA Card...because of other FLASH CARDS on the market took over fast with better FLASH CARDS, this made it out dated fast, the SMARTMEDIA CARD Maker's TRASHED this idea. Too bad for us. Plus at least Roland Corp. was thinking ahead in the future, to be able to save your 272mb USER MEMORY to your DESKTOP OR NOTEBOOK COMPUTER,...Using your USB CONNECTION. And makeing your COMPUTER a EXTERNAL STORAGE BASE.**

PLUS I already tryed to OVER MAX out the Internal Memory myself to the MAX - you can add only about [256mb DIMM PC100 or PC133 Memory Modules]... I tryed using a 512 mb DIMM PC-133 Memory Modules...the Roland MC-909 becomes unstable..it reads the memory to about 383mb MAX !!!

But the unit does not save the user memory and because its very unstable or goes wacko...the Roland MC-909 was not designed to go pass 256 mb in user memory because of the MC-909 Operating System - O.S.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

**TEST & OTHER INFO Found here, on the http://www.mc909.org/**:

Articles Link located on FAQ: http://www.mc909.org/joomla/content/view/17/28/lang,en/

How much memory has the 909?
Some have tested it with a 512 Mb, the result is surprising.

It seems that these 383 Mb are really available, but the person who has made this test
(thank you nicolaschenard) did not try it in real situation.

my home page is:

danx

Post by danx »

I`m ready to buy the XD adapter but i saw this warning at Ebay:

"The xD-Smartmedia adapter (combined with a xD card) is an inexpensive alternative for hard to find smartmedia cards. Can be used in synthesizers, keyboards, multi track digital recorders, samplers, MP3 players and other devices. It is usually not recommended for use with digital cameras since the adapter is longer than an actual Smartmedia card and the camera would give a "door open" error message. Before purchase, you may want to do a little research to find out if your particular device will work with this adapter*. Please also note that this adapter only recognizes up to 128MB. You may use higher capacity xD cards (including H and M type cards) up to 512MB, but the adapter will only see 128MB, which is the highest capacity Smartmedia was designed to."

So despite the 128MB limit warning will this adapter do the job?

It`s the same that you have in your Mac picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-xD-Smartmedia-S ... dZViewItem
DJFLEX-mk2

buy the XD adapter ???

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

Yes, it's possible to use this adapter....this person that selling this adapter on eBay might not have tested on the Roland MC-909 or is not aware that it does works on ithe Roland MC-909...and he is just going by info that he read on other sites.
But I tested it and made alot of reference on how to use and whats the correct xD card to use. Just don't use M-TYPE xD card !! I used a xD H256MB cards H-TYPE.. with a SMARTMEDIA ADAPTER....plus the SMARTMEDIA adapter card does not have no working component..so it will be the same ADAPTER as the rest.

If you read my earler testing and info.... That I posted awhile back --->

Yes, it's possible to save more than 128MB on a xD card,
I tested with several xD cards on the Market available today in 2006 & 2007, which was confusing cause I tryed to reference with the Olympus E-20P Camera info,...."Ok to make this simple and not to technical": the 128MB SmartMedia cards writes speed at 3MB/s, Reads speed at 5MB/s...so I tested with a
[DIGILIFE xD-SmartMedia Adpater]=

**[UPDATE 09/07/2007 Friday 06:03 PM E.S.T.] I try to see if a xD H512MB card will work, I have tryed this already. But with no luck, since the MC-909 can load 272mb MAX (16mb+256mb) = 272mb - this will remain the MAX that this unit memory's can handle....it seem that by design this unit is limited to [ xD H256MB cards]. Because of the O.S. ..., At one time the original maker's were getting ready to make a 256MB SMARTMEDIA Card...because of other FLASH CARDS on the market took over fast with better FLASH CARDS, this made it out dated fast, the SMARTMEDIA CARD Maker's TRASHED this idea. Too bad for us. Plus at least Roland Corp. was thinking ahead in the future, to be able to save your 272mb USER MEMORY to your DESKTOP OR NOTEBOOK COMPUTER,...Using your USB CONNECTION. And makeing your COMPUTER a EXTERNAL STORAGE BASE.**

***Here are other picture for ref***:

PACKAGE: Olympus 256 MB XD-Picture Card (202030)
256MB xD-Picture Card MODEL: M-XD256H
Mfr Part Number# (202030)
Manufacturer: Olympus America Inc.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/

Several users, whose myself, had problems to format their Xd card.

It would seem that the 909 cannot do it... But a solution exists!

You need :

- Xd card,

- Xd / SM adapter

- smartmedia card (32Mb minimum)

- computer.

Once these elements joined together, the procedure is rather simple :

1. Format your SM card from your 909

2. Remove SM, and to replace it by Xd (with the adapter, of course)

3. Connect your 909 on computer by USB (MENU - USB - CARD)

4. Format your card from computer then disconnect (by swintching in pattern mode for ex.)

5. Remove your Xd card, then put your SM in

6. Connect your 909 to Computer

7. Copy ROLAND repertory from card to your computer, then disconnect

8. Put your Xd card in your 909 then connect to computer

9. Copy ROLAND directory in your Xd

my home page is: