CF problem!! please help me :'(

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
sean_harper58

CF problem!! please help me :'(

Post by sean_harper58 »

hi i only just bought an sp 555 and have just got a SanDisk 2Gb ultra 2 CF card for it as lots of people on this forum said it works fine.

I cant get it to work i format the card on the sp 555 then plug into my pc card reader and load up the wave converter and i can select the drive and assign samples to the pads but as soon as i take it out of the pc and insert it into the sp 555 and turn the power on the damn thing wont power up... so i take it out and turn it on and it powers up.

is my card f00ked ? i cant see that im doing anything wrong as its pretty straight forward.

can anyone help ?
fa73

Re: CF problem!! please help me :'(

Post by fa73 »

Hi Sean, i have the same problem of you.
I have bought the Sandisk ultra II 2.0 gb but i have tryed putting in the root the samples from my pc on the cf. (no wave converter) the result is same.. no on Sp 555

I don't understand why someone told us that this kind of cf is good for the Roland Sp555

If we look the manual..there is not this kind of cf in the compability table!

I have read to ROland, they told me that it knows the problem and they sell the right CF at 98,00 euro :-((((

Incredible!!

Someone can help us please ??????
fieldmuzick

Post by fieldmuzick »

hey,
I fucked up my sp-555, with a very very wrong CF Card and the Customer Service need to reset the OS. They send an additional Note about CF Cards.

I will write it down right here:
-------------------------
CORRECTIONS IN THE OWNER MANUAL: Recommended types of CompactFlash

We corrected in " Recommended types of Compact Flash" (P.44) in the Owners Manual as following:

Recommended types of CF:
SanDisk - SDCFH-2048-903 (2 GB)
SanDisk - SDCFX3-1024-903 (1 GB)

HAGIWARA SYSCOM HPC-CF512ZP (512 MB)
HAGIWARA SYSCOM HPC-CF2GZP (2 GB)
HAGIWARA SYSCOM HPC-CF1GF (1 GB)
HAGIWARA SYSCOM HPC-CF2GZF (512 MB)

----------------------------

I'm using a SanDisc 1GB CF (no ultra II or something) right now, which is working fine. It costs me around 20 EUR somewhere at ebay.

I hope that helps.

The restriction to these very special CF Cards and the handling/sampling transfer to the SP-555 is a mess. I have no clue, why the SP-555 can't work as Card Read via usb (beside working as audio device) with any card. Most of devices can do that :-(

best m.
fa73

Post by fa73 »

YOur sanddisk 1gb cf is TYPE 1 right ??
fieldmuzick

Post by fieldmuzick »

I think yes, it's Type I - I've ordered the simplest one in this range, so I suppose it is. (Type II are a bit thicker as far as I know?!)
best m.
fa73

Post by fa73 »

Ok..i will looking for it. Thank you very much. I will write here the result of all this situation.
Ronan

compact flash format on SP-555

Post by Ronan »

Hi everybody,

Well, it's weird that you can upload sounds to the SP-555 only by using CF cards...
So, my problem is as follow:
I formatted my CF card on my Canon camera. Now I'd like to use it for the SP-555 and keep it for this purpose. However, as it's already formatted, my SP-555 doesn't boot when I insert the CF card. So I can't format the CF card (who designed the boot software??? why can't it prompt for formatting an unknown card?).

So I'd like to format it on my PC. But I don't have any other CF card formatted by the SP-555.

Do you know if the SP-555 format for the CF card is FAT16 or FAT32 or something else? Is there any special directory structure (or a special system file?) on the CF card once it's been formatted by the SP-555? I'd like to make the CF card look like a formatted one by setting it on my computer. Then I would hopefully be able to boot my SP-555 and format with the real formatting tool on the SP-555.

Sorry for the length of my message.

Ronan
ZiggyZag

Post by ZiggyZag »

I have a similar problem, however my card had already been formated and working for over a year. Recently, my sampler's card had filled up and then stoped working. Whenever I tried to access one of the card banks it would tell me to reformat it again (and delete everything). After checking with roland tech support i ended up deleting everything on my card and reformating again. But it still tells me to reformat it again and again, either that or it doesn't aknowledge that there's a card in there at all.
I've been looking for help for ages but this page is the closest i've come.
airwax22

Post by airwax22 »

I have a SanDisk Ultra CompactFlash 15MB/s 2GB ... have been using it with my sp 555 for over a year now.. I had thousands of samples on it... loaded it into a CF card reader for the first time on my pc (Win 7 Ult)...Got a message saying I needed to format my card b/f it could be read... I said nope...removed my card from CF reader... Inserted back into the sp 555... would not read card ...only bank A and B.... removed card... reinserted into sp 555... powered on... and nothing... no power on... removed card and sp 555 powered up... WHAT IS GOING ON ???? WHERE ARE MY SAMPLES ???? PLEASE HELP !!!