Which MC should I go for.

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Squirter

Which MC should I go for.

Post by Squirter »

Hi, I would like to get hold of one of the Roland MC grooveboxes. Ive got a home studio PC based but like the hands on idea of these gadgets. I was looking at either MC303, MC505, MC808 or MC909. I know they all vary in price but I can go up to a 909 eBay price around £600. Should I go for a 303 to get started or is this a waste of time ?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Which MC should I go for.

Post by Artemiy »

I think you should go for the 505. 303 is a bit too basic, and 909 sounds a little too cold, while the 808 is out of your budget.
Squirter

Post by Squirter »

You can get an 808 for around £500 on eBay where the 909 will go for around £600. So do you rekon 808 would be better. I know it is PC interactive (editing samples), where as the others dont.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Well, as I said, I don't like the 909 because it sounds kind of cold and raw. The 808 has a Fantom-X engine and sounds just like a Roland should, warm, clear and punchy, but yes, the full deep sound engine edits can only be made from the computer editor, although the sliders give pretty enough stuff to play with. I'd get either the 808 (more fresh and powerful) or the 505 (more retro and oldschool) then, judging how much and what kind of sounds you're after.
speedtribe

Post by speedtribe »

Dont forget to check MC307 and D2. these are both based on the MC505.

basic difference from 505:
307 is lighter, more portable, has turntable slider, LCD display, newer sounds.
D2 is lighter, more portable, newer sounds, interface like KaossPad, interesting workflow.

I also do not recommend MC303, its too limited.

I personally like the 307, but since they are all used and cheap price you can get both ;)
julcanada

Post by julcanada »

hey i have a 505 here i posted an add on the forum please let me know if interested!

cheers
argomax

909 vs. 808

Post by argomax »

i am sorry Artemiy, but i totally disagree.
I have owned and extensively used all Roland groovegear since the MC303 and SP202 until today.
While being true that the 808 has the (bare-boned) sound engine of a Fantom, it has NONE of the stuff grooveboxes from Roland became famous for: live interaction, tweakin' in realtime, remixing on the fly. It all went back to mouse and monitor with the 808, that's why it gets awful reviews on Harmony Central, and all over the net. needin' a new groovebox, I tested it as recently as 3 days ago and I dismissed it completely after that, even tho' i'd get it at a huge discount, and got me a 909 instead, which sounds similar (XV-series engine here), but this one you can really play with, and have fun doing it, and be creative with it. On the 808, they have removed all thefun stuff! The realtime controls are all gone, except the sliders which are USELESS in most modes, and NO FUN to use in all other modes. Plus, the tiny screen... back to basics.
In my opinion, if the 909 is too costly, the 505 should do really well. The sounds are a bit stiff and dusty, they need editing and effecting to stand out, but the machine itself is a joy to use and, if well programmed, can kick a mean ass.
DJFLEX-mk2

Roland MC-909 !!!!!

Post by DJFLEX-mk2 »

Chart for me is:
1) Roland MC-303
2) Roland MC-505
3) Roland JX-305
4) Roland D-2
5) Roland MC-307

"Few words..all Machines are good..its how well you learn to used them in your CRAFT" !

The Roland MC-909 is the best, to me also.....base on my experience and opinions. I still have my Roland MC-303 cause by far its the most easy to use in the Roland MC's product line..and you still can get them used on ebay.com for less..and the best as a great starter in music programing...
As a matter a fact: "Yes the Roland MC-505 has more sounds then the Roland MC-303...but what ever I could do in programing each machine, they are very alike in some ways....the only differences was the Roland MC-303, is saving your programing"...so I resorted to use a Roland MC-50 mkII...then for Sampling I had the Roland DJ-70 mkII.

This was back in 1997, and which I still have the Roland MC-303, Roland DJ-70 mkII, Roland MC-50 mkII as a setup. Before I even got the [Roland MC-505 in 03-13-2007]...plus I bought the Roland MC-909 before I even got the Roland MC-505 later!!!! I prefer Machine that stay away from MAC & PC computer's. Its why I love DRUM MACHINES more.

So to tell you - my Roland MC-909 is the best cause its technology based on the past Roland MC's Machine.

Roland MC-303, Roland MC-505, Roland JX-305, Roland D-2, Roland MC-307..........

Its so Strong...it replaces Roland MC-303, Roland DJ-70 mkII, Roland MC-50 mkII....Into one packages the Roland MC-909.

I prefer the Roland MC-909 over the Roland MC-808... I know each machine has there potiential...but the Roland MC-909 is Roland best Flagship in the groovebox line.

I even plan to get another Roland MC-909 if you want to compare note....on having a Roland MC-808.

Don't get me wrong..The Roland MC-808 is great in its own way...but I tested it......and I plan like way much later in the future to get one...just not now....

I may get the Roland MV-8800 or some Future Roland MV-9000!!!!

Before I even get a Roland MC-808. Not to bash the Roland MC-808..its still great machine.. yes! - the Roland MC-808 has more sounds then the Roland MC-909... but please think about it..there both Sampling grooveboxes...and yes one has more octive then the other... but in my case why do I want to CRASH so many sounds at the same time... I was happy even with my Roland MC-303 that has only 24 octive sounds.
And had no Sampler or saving built in it.... LOL

You can sample your own sounds on each machine on Roland MC-808 & Roland MC-909....

Plus the Roland MC-909 hangs on RANK up there with there top function..thats using the live feature..just like the Roland MC-303, Roland MC-505, Roland JX-305, Roland D-2, Roland MC-307.......... not the Roland MC-808 !

Yes Roland Really messed up on there Roland MC-808... its just like they tryed to push the Roland D-2 and Roland MC-307. but we all know in the past... the Flagship is the Roland MC-505 !!!! [its the Live mode that made it the best].
And its still the best. And remains a classic machine.

I ended up getting the Roland MC-909 before the Roland MC-505...now I have both.

Yes I'm a hard core Roland product user...cause I do love there line.. it takes time to learn how to use them. So its hard for me to try to really rethink and go out and rush on getting a Roland MC-808.

Right now the best baby that Roland has going is the Roland MV-8800.

Point here guys, learn from the other users on forum sites like this.... and learn from there experience...

And just don't take every one words for it also...go out and test them or research more on each unit.

"You get what you pay for".
[PROVEN MESSAGES FACT]!

Don't BASH the machine that Roland comes out..they make great products....just get what you need for making music... cause thats why were all here...

We want to make MUSIC ..does not matter what type of music.

Signing off from DJFLEX-mk2

my home page is:
http://www.myspace.com/djflexmk2

"PLANET ROCK! ~ yO gEt FuNkY"
5ch0k0

Post by 5ch0k0 »

I use the MC-909 with the MC-505 and I´m telling you that I will never sell it if I don´t have to cause they fit perfectly.

The 505 is a great little "Live" box where as the 909 more for studio work. Put them together and you have a great LIVE STUDIO.

The reason I bought the 909 instaed of the 808 is easy the write about...the 808 has no knobs =) and the motorized sliders are too loud (I know you can turn them off but..)
Know1

Master your devices!

Post by Know1 »

I know that someone else said it already but it's all about how well you know your equipment. You should learn it inside and out. With that being said, I'd be straight up embarrassed if someone came to my house and showed me how to do something on the MV8800. I mean it's one thing if you're still learning. But LEARN YOUR S#*t.
Know1

Check out a MV

Post by Know1 »

You should look into getting a MV 8800 or even a 8000.
You can put up to 512 MB of RAM in it, It comes with a 40 GB hard drive which can also be upgraded.

It sounds great and making edits has never been easier.
It can read WAV and AIFF files as well as AKAI S1000, S3000, MPC 2000, and MPC 2000XL .SND and .PGM files.

I put all the Logic Pro sounds from the esx24 and the ultrabeat in mine.
I've never been happier.

WHEN ROLAND DROPPED THE 8800 THE PLANET SHOOK AND AKAI TREMBLED!!!

Post by 303909 »

''DROPPED'' as in abandoned?