Looping problems, any advice?

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
deekie

Looping problems, any advice?

Post by deekie »

Hello all,

I have just bought an sp-555 and am having lots of problems getting the loops to sync properly.

To test I have been using a kaossilator thats running at 120 and made sure the bpm/end points are all set correctly on the SP-555 before recording, I have been using auto start to make sure its all tight going in.

Once the loops are in I have been trimming the end points as far as they will go before the bpm changes so they are as tight as possible.

Even after all this the loops seem to drift very quickly, especially if they are of different lengths, they sound tight for the first round but then drift wildly even on the second pass.

Trying to match things loops on the loop capture against the pads also seems touch and go.

When I have tried playing samples back against the metronome inside the machine there also seems to be wildly varying results... there seems to be a million shades of 120bpm and I cant find the best way of making it all match up.

Has anyone else had these problems? Any advice or possible solutions would be HUGELY appreciated....Im currently tearing my hair out!!

Cheers
xandreouteiro

Re: Looping problems, any advice?

Post by xandreouteiro »

hi!
i'm in a similar situation
think now that hard training is the only solution.
i think that with the auto-start on, most of times it records "late" the first beat, so the loop is a s--it!. i work on fix this... if i learn something, will tell.
greetings!
lirake

Post by lirake »

i am in similar situation (2)

roland where is update of sp-555?
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

The devices have to be connected with each other to SYNC.
Some machines don't have to, as tempos are exact with each other. It's always best to connect together, to get the accurate motion at the end.

Also if you have recorded a loop, which is at a different tempo to the external song, from the other device, it has to be time-stretched first, to keep in sync with the tempo on the other toy; that is if you want the original recorded piece to sound exactly the same, when syncing from its original status.

PRIMARY PRINCIPAL ~ When the devices are connected together, the external midi device has to be set up for Midi Clock. The sp555 will be able to sync itself to it. Otherwise if not, the loop will caterpillar out of sync !

Enjoy
xandreouteiro

Post by xandreouteiro »

great post. very very thanks....
the matter is: the autostart does not work either for recording the samples recorded in the own sp555 !!!!!!
but your post was very hlpfull to midi sinc
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Hi xandreouteiro,

thanks for your sincere reply.
I like to help out as much as i can, when i am on the forum. There are bits and pieces that i know and bits and pieces i need to research, to help and solve peoples musical insights.
I'm not smart enough to be a moderator but well towards solving most of peoples musical problems.

thoughtfully
KRE8A