MC-909 Song/pattern mode workaround

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: MC-909 Song/pattern mode workaround

Post by Artemiy »

Rick_Deckard, I am in a minority because no one seems to understand how the 909 works - which is not my shame, but theirs.

The 909 has 16 parts with 64-note total polyphony and I think 3 or 4 effects. So while it should be able to sustain the notes with freely available polyphony notes, the effects needs to be reloaded from the next pattern and the sound of the previous effects gets cut. And even the polyphony allocation may not be perfect if there are many sustained notes with polyphony-hungry sounds.

You would need to double the effects amount to do seamless switching - this is what they did on the Fantom-G, but they also cut the amount of parts in live mode to 8.

Get yourself a second 909, they're cheap these days ;-)
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

I certainly would never doubt your technical descriptions. I'd like to add also ARTEMIY that when switching or blending into another mix; that person can program effects into other song segments by only using a small amount of recorded tracks to which therefore, there would be alot of fast forward and rewind and using the ability to impro into the next position, when switching manually or letting the loop complete for the next auto- transition, where that person will have to control the parts to have a smooth mesh when the programing of FX takes place for each dance segment.
This might seem confusing but it's really how the person can control the machine. Everyone should know that it's a groovebox which is made for slow and fast impro - on the fly ! ` when really wanting to do the deep Knitty Gritty dance music or what ever genre that musician likes.
Acidman303

Post by Acidman303 »

Another handy trick for creating much more complex songs without any limitations or problems using the 909 is by creating a pattern and then resampling each part as a wav sample loop.
You can then import them into FL studio, Ableton or Cubase etc for EQ and other various post-processing techniques.
I've done this trick a couple of times now and it's worked a charm.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

+1 for Acidman303 *
rallycapmusic

Post by rallycapmusic »

I just got off the phone with Roland and they "claim" they don't know of that issue or even heard of it. I just bought an MC-909 off EBay last week that should be here today or tomorrow. I'm pissed because if I had know this issue existed, I wouldn't have bought one.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

There are several ways of working out in how to get around with Song / pattern.

It's a Groovebox which you have to use your imagination in how to perform the tricks in playing or recording.

It's a powerful synth module which you can create as well.

You will have an excellent asset in your hands.

You will be a winner with the MC-909, as long as you put your dedication into it.
22tape

Post by 22tape »

hey guys. digging up an old thread. interested in buying a mc909 but the song/pattern bug is a deal breaker. i just wanted to double-check that a bug fix wasn't released. if not, do you guys still have problems if all of the patterns in a song have the same fx. i mean, i might understand the sound cutting if the next pattern has different fx, but i'd think it might not be an issue if all patterns in a song have the same fx routing? wishful thinking probably...