MC-909 Song/pattern mode workaround

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Acidman303

MC-909 Song/pattern mode workaround

Post by Acidman303 »

Hi everyone, i recently just bought myself the MC-909 and i've been having a blast with it. My main problem though is the annoying no sustain when in transition from one pattern to another in song mode.
Now i know this is a major problem with the 909 but is there anyway around this, i've looked around pretty much everywhere but can't find any information about any workarounds.

I'm chuffed to have a 909 but i would like to be able to use it for something more constructive than just a sketchpad for ideas.

Thanks in advance.
azmotronik

Re: MC-909 Song/pattern mode workaround

Post by azmotronik »

Seems to me that the easiest thing to do is to construct the song in song mode as you would normally, then record the song on another sequencer, then re-record back into the MC909 as a pattern. I use my trusty old MC500 for this duty. Works like a charm. It would be very nice to have the MC909 just perform the song mode as it should, but that's just wishing for too much.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

This shouldn't even happen with EFX. This is not normal for the MC-909 to be acting like that. Back every bit of your work into the computer and card. Perform a factory reset.
It seems like you bought the machine 2nd hand. If so, it probably needs a good flush, anyway !
Acidman303

Post by Acidman303 »

I don't have much work to backup at present, 3 or 4 tracks. I'll do that, then a factory reset and see what happens.

I was thinking maybe creating extra long patterns instead...

After using mainly software for the last 5 years, i want to get that feeling of using pure hardware again. I saw the MC909 as pretty much perfect for what i want seeing as i used to own the MC-303 and 505. So picking up the interface on the MC-909 was a breeze.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Hi Acidman303

You have got a marvelous instrument and to combine with software, it would bring more life to the sides of music. In Song mode, I was thinking also that if the problem still occurs (The machine can play funny games in certain ways) you can also in the last loop record blank and then it should smoothly flow into the next dance segment, without the sounds retaining into. You will also discover a lot of weird happenings, but that's where things will start to become more interesting, as you play with it.
Acidman303

Post by Acidman303 »

Thanks for the tip KRE8A, much appreciated.

I do think the 909 is an amazing box of tricks, i was just a little worried that I would not be able to create full songs using it.

A goal i've made for myself this year is to create an entire album using only the MC-909.
I love the challenge and restrictions of doing something like this. In the past i've worked with various trackers, where working around limitations is a must.
I AM

Post by I AM »

my suggestion is to use resampling... resample your phrases and then lay them down like phrase sampling in patterns... this is just a suggestion as i don't have 909.... very frustrating thing with this gaps between patterns, shame to roland
Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

KRE8A - Mate you don't know what your talking about. This is a common bug across all mc909's, its common knowledge, its nothing to do with the machine he bought, all 909's have this problem. Its an OS bug. But there are workarounds.
Acidman303

Post by Acidman303 »

Care to share some of these workarounds please Rick.

Thanks

I've recently made a 2 mimute track by creating an extra long pattern, using edit pattern to add or remove parts. This seems to work ok. For more complex songs where changing parts is a must. I'm kind of stuck.
Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

I think there are a few workarounds but not perfect. Changing the pattern with the cursor keys is meant to be one - only for fx though I think. Creating one big pattern instead of chaining them is another. Try to change patterns when not much is going on in the song (lulls). Try to match fx settings exactly between patterns. Keeping the BPM high to minimize the transition is one more.

They are all not perfect and maybe there are others I'm not sure. Been a few years since I've had my unit.

Hope you manage to find a workaround that suits your needs as its an awesome box of tricks in the right hands.
Acidman303

Post by Acidman303 »

Thanks Rick.

It seems the long pattern mode is the best trick for me, in fact it even has a couple of benefits if i'm honest.
I'm glad to have found an odd but interesting solution.
It's a shame Roland never released an update to fix this mind. I've always preferred their products. In fact that's why I chose the 909 over the RS7000.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

@*Rick_Deckard

I'm sorry if I've given wrong info, BUDDY * ~ but I'm trying to see where I've put the errors. You stated that this is common across all MC-909s. Well, mine doesn't have this issue. So you are wrong about that! Acidman303 is quoting about song mode transition, into another song. I've actually tested my machine with multi-FX and routed with maximum manipulation and sends. I'm getting more of a vertical cut off than Auto-transition-crossing. Therefore, my machine is playing normal. OK ` you could say that this is a bug with Acids unit. I am skeptic at the moment and do realize these are infected common factors, but while he is in song mode; he can record the end cycle blank, so the beginning of the next segment will be clean. I admit that sometimes I might use more common sense than having to know theoretically.

Anyway>, it's all cool. We all have our own ways.

*Acidman303, happy that you've concluded with the problem.
Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

erm how do you explain this massive thread then:

http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_thread&thread...

stating a sustain bug in pattern mode AS WELL AS song mode. Either you've got the only 909 in existence not to have this problem or the masses of people in the thread above trying to petition Roland to fix this are making it up.

hmmn
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Well, Artemiy put forward that this is not a BUG. It's the way the machine was designed and manufactured. As I previously mentioned that I do get a normal cut off in song mode, for the next segment to play normally. This is normal by the sounds of things in song mode. However, in pattern mode, I guess the only way to get smooth transition manually into the next song would be ` by muting the parts which can give the blend into the next piece and then start opening up the parts in it. It also depends how the songs are stacked together also. Also, each song is saved with different parameter settings, meaning you would just have to do your best to have the songs fall together, by muting the correct parts.
Rick_Deckard

Post by Rick_Deckard »

Artemiy seems to be in a minority of one in that thread.