Using MC-808 as a Midi Controller

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Dr. Who

Using MC-808 as a Midi Controller

Post by Dr. Who »

I've got some great patterns sequenced into the 808 but the sounds are rather limited with the 808 (drums excluded). I've been using the 808 to drive other synths (OASYS, Andromeda, Voyager) in multi mode and it's been pretty unreal. But I'd like to keep the drum sounds from the 808 and not hear the synth sounds from the 808 (only the drum sounds) while transmitting real time midi data to my other synth(s) via pattern play. As far as midi goes I've got no problems there. I just don't want to hear the synth sounds from the 808 while controlling them, only want to hear the drums. I'll use the audio from my other synths being driven by the 808's midi pattern. I hope it's clear what I'm trying to do.

On most workstations/synths the workaround would be just assign the drums to a specific audio output and use that output with your mixer. Can you do something like that with the 808? I'm unaware of the 808 having assignable outputs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THanks!
azmotronik

Re: Using MC-808 as a Midi Controller

Post by azmotronik »

You may have already found the MC808 section of the forums, but here's what I know...

While I don't own an mc808, My guess is that it is similar to an mc909 in this regard, the 808 has DIR1, I would send the stuff you don't want to hear out of those ports, save the mains for stuff you want to put fx on.

Hope this helps. I know this forum doesn't get much action these days...