have problem: MC-909 sample octave range

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
endis

have problem: MC-909 sample octave range

Post by endis »

Hello,

So, I've sampled some basic waveforms from my hardware synths to use them as an oscillators in MC-909. Everything seemed to be normal, until I've tried to pitch the sample up and down to identify the loss of quality. When using octave shift buttons I can go all the way down (-4 octaves) and the sample timbre goes down as well, but when I'm shifting up notes go up until the +2 octave and then +3 and +4 ranges plays the last highest note from the +2 octave.

Is it normal limitation based on the length of the sample or is there any workaround?
KRE8A

Re: have problem: MC-909 sample octave range

Post by KRE8A »

Hi endis !

I think this is normal. I just tried testing a 4 bar vocal loop and once I went beyond the 2 octave, the pitch and tensity of the timbre stayed the same. I did hear a very slight up-lift from the 2nd to the 3rd octave range, but it was so slight; I could just detect the sound difference. So in other words, I think the MC-909 can only map the pitch from each trigger to its maximum, before toggling up to the 3rd octave range and beyond, as an assumption with certain samples.
With ordinary Pre-set and User sounds (PATCHES), these can be triggered from the lowest to the highest octave, giving off normal results. Only when a made sample from the sample generator is created, example..vocal loop or segment, the MC-909 can register and only activate as above mentioned.
As you know anyway, there is unlimited work around and possibilities with going about samples.
Explore and enjoy :)
endis

Post by endis »

Thanks for your comprehensive answer!

By the way, any chances you have MC-909 PC Editor Update V3.1? Seems impossible to find these days.
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Unfortunately I don't have.
I also did a search on the web and had no luck in finding the link.
However, keep up with the search.
Good luck ;)
Nord72

Post by Nord72 »

endis : Just send me a private msg via Youtube with your mail address and I could present the setup for You (Editor expander).

Anyway, did You tried these stuffs ?

http://www.groovemanager.com/

Cheers,

Nord