mc 909 switch between Record mode and Play mode

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
deep88

mc 909 switch between Record mode and Play mode

Post by deep88 »

Hi Guys

i buy an used mc 909.... not used to work with roland gear but it's quite a good machine
just some things i would like to ask, in the meantime i'm reading manual and checking online so sorry if these questions are dumb!

- how can i switch between Record and Play without stopping the unit??? a lot of times i see i can't edit when the drums machine is playing... this is quite boring, but at least i would like to pass from play to record without stopping the unit and loosing that vibe i have in mind...

i know the revershal function... it's ok but not as much as i would like...

tnx
ale
KRE8A

Re: mc 909 switch between Record mode and Play mode

Post by KRE8A »

Hi deep88,
how can i switch between Record and Play without stopping the unit?

Example : When recording music onto a cassette (Audio Tape) in a cassette player,
it's impossible to switch straight over to play mode without pressing stop first.
It's a little different to digital in this situation,
because you need to rewind the tape first before playing the recorded section.
Therefore you can't do (record to play) on the MC-909 either.
Press stop after you have recorded, then re-play the recorded set for testing,
or for what ever you are trying to achieve.

VIBE :

Feeling the music expression is what generally gives the vibe.
To not lose that vibe is to record the tracks to how you like,
then go by feeling as you improvise / controlling the part buttons.
That's where your vibe will fill in, and on top of that;
tweak the sounds to enhance the vibe feeling even more.

Have fun !
deep88

Post by deep88 »

ahaha oh yes damn and you should use stone to make fire

just ask this cause a lot of other gear have this so easy solution....

but u are funny :)
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

I wasn't being funny. I was using the Audio tape as a view point. Don't get me wrong, because digital is highly advanced in comparison to analogue. So therefore, your question wasn't dumb at all in the first place. It's a good question, because it had me thinking for a few moments in whether the method is possible to do.
deep88

Post by deep88 »

yeah i have an akai philosophy due to the fact i start with them, and with mpc u can switch really with no problem, so when u are listening the groove and trying some pattern and when u are ready, u just press record + play together and the mpc switch to record without stopping... and the opposite too

so i use the rehearsal function a lot.... and it works... but it's not the same, so maybe i thought there was some combination of buttons to allow this...
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

So as the machine (AKAI-MPC) was in record mode, by pressing play whilst recording, would the timing re-loop automatically to the beginning, or just continue to play from the exact position, when the play button was pressed ?
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

Moving forward, I just did random toggles with the buttons and gone into several parameters to see if this action is possible to perform on the MC-909. Couldn't get it to work; then presuming it's not possible.
Anyway, enjoy recording and playing with the machine. You are going to discover wonders from its contents :)
I AM

Post by I AM »

that's dumb... and just pressing record when you play back?

if not it SHOULD be a rehersal mode... when you record, press rehersal and you can practice and not recordind, press again and record....

i don't have mc 909 but on mc09 i just press rec while playing
KRE8A

Post by KRE8A »

@ deep88 - So as you're improvising in play mode, you'd like to switch over to record mode and record without losing the touch of play, while you're in the momentum of excitement. In other words, being able to stack and record sounds, knowing what sounds or feeling for which sounds to select from the patch / sample group, to feed in from your adrenalin feel of practice and play (Vibe).
Well as you pointed and as 'I AM' gave some good understanding detail, I simply agree and tag along on the fact that the rehearsal function is the most ideal feature for the knack of what you are trying to achieve. So from what I pick up in mind is that 'record to play or play to record & the rehearsal feature, both act in the same degree. At the moment I can't think of any tricks which can be attained for differentiating in both features. If you can think of or know any other things that can be performed within both features, besides rehearsing in rehearsal mode; give some fair detail on the topic. I'm interested to know if there are any different tricks, which can be done between the two. Just out of interest, even though you cannot do without pressing stop on the MC-909 while 'record to play or the other way around.

" This topic is starting to put me in confusion ".

" I'm getting out of this topic, before i BRAIN-WARP ".

" OMG, it's to late ``{@L@}``

" HAH :D
deep88

Post by deep88 »

sorry i was away from my computer

yeah this is possible in akai mpc, even the old one mpc3000... u can switch between rec and play without have to restart or anything... is like u are listening the pattern and u have in mind something, well press play and record and u are in record mode

in mc909 i find it with revehersal mode... it works pretty the same... the only fact is that u have to be in record mode always and then press record button to activate or deactivate the recordins function... it works pretty good