Triggering the SP-505 by MIDI

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
mineralman

Triggering the SP-505 by MIDI

Post by mineralman »

Hi there, I'm fairly new to using drum machines/keyboards in a live set up and I'm having problems with midi implementation.

My band use a Roland SP-505 as our main rhythm and sample unit, along with three keyboards, an Alesis Micron, Micro Korg and Yamaham CS1x. We use a midi sync signal succesffully between all of our machines to make sure we are all at the same tempo.

However we've never managed to be able to trigger one machine with another, so we can start songs or parts in time. What I really want to be able to do is use my keyboard (Alesis), to trigger the SP-505 to begin playing a song (in song mode), or vice-versa, for the SP-505 to trigger my keyboard to begin playing a part at the same time as it begins playing a song.

I know that this will depend on the capabilities of each machine, so I've read the manual of both the SP-505 and the Alesis over and over again but i don't seem to be able to get my head around it. Is this possible? Both manuals contain a 'Midi Implementation' section, but i'm just finding it hard to understand. I have managed to trigger one pad on the SP-505 from the keys on my keyboard but that's it, and no matter what changes i make that's about all i can make happen.

Can anybody help me? or offer any suggestions where i might be able to get help?
I AM

Re: Triggering the SP-505 by MIDI

Post by I AM »

hello!

you have to set one machine (master) to output sync and the other(s) to be slave.... the sync type should be the same i.e. midi clock or midi MTC on all machines

hope this'll help you
mineralman

Post by mineralman »

Am I right in thinking you can only trigger patterns or individual pads by midi, and not entire songs?
I AM

Post by I AM »

this way you sync sequence playback on both mashines making one(master)send sync clock and start-stop messages and the other(s) (slave) recieve this messages and play back in sync... this is not the same as midi notes and midi channels

triggering samples is usually done via note messages

i advice you to read and understand what MIDI is if you plan to work with it

there are different types of messages and they serve different tasks
Tombyrd

Post by Tombyrd »

Hi Mineralman

For triggering samples with midi sync, you have to set this in the Wave Edit of each sample to Pad Play "Trig" and Play Type "Phrase",

Here it also depends on your performance; if you have a straight song structure, you can use the SP 505 Sequencer Song Mode. First you make your patterns, then arrange it in steps in the song mode. Then you just have to synch the other machines, which is obiously already working. You can still mute or hit the pads for a fill-in , also with other banks.

But if you are jamming in freestyle, then it might be maybe better to use just the pattern mode with the 4 parts, just record the most important samples, hit the pads when needed and work with muting and arranging the banks. You can change manually the patterns, they change on the last beat. You still should have an idea on the arrangement.

I always use the SP 505 as Slave and in Song Mode, so i dont' have to worry about Sync issue, and just take care of the Effect and Mutes...

Good Luck & Fun,