SP-404 as super loop station

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Giomsen

SP-404 as super loop station

Post by Giomsen »

Hi

I am using a loop station RC-2 from Boss, but I fill a little bitte limited, since I cannot not delete a loop which has been recorded. I am looking for a device which I can use to record several loops on the go, apply effects on them and be able to stop or re-start a loop without stopping the other loops running. After a search, a device like the Roland SP-404 would do that, am I right? And second question, can I trigger the recording with a remote pedal? I use a keyboard (Roland RD-700GX), which makes it not possible to trigger the recording with one of my hands (I unfortunately only have 2 ;-) ). And third question, the SP-404 records the loops / samples on a SD cards. I can then transfer them into a software without too much effort.

Thanks for your help. I am starting with all those devices ;-) I am a classical piano player, and I am discovering some other way having fun with music

Giom
I AM

Re: SP-404 as super loop station

Post by I AM »

i had sp-404 for some time, it works different from looper... you can't overdub on it and while sampling you can't have other loops playing.... however you can trigger recorded loops via midi note messages and can import/export wav files, but can't trigger recording (sampling)

hope this'll help you )
Giomsen

Post by Giomsen »

Hi
Yes it is helping, thanks!
The overdubbing can be by passed if it is possible to record several tracks and playing them as loops. I am really unhappy with my loop station: not possible to stop an overdubbed loop, no direct export of the loops... One of the product I looked at closer is a looper from electro harmonix and the rc-50 from boss. But they both do not export the loop... I might buy a recording device from boss, the br-800. Seems to have the features I want. It is of course not a looper, but still, it will do the work.
Best
Giomsen
I AM

Post by I AM »

404 is diferent from portastudio in that on 404 you can trigger samples independently... 6 stereo or 12 mono and portastudio is more like tape recorder, you have to layer loops and can't trigger them live