Roland MC505 lcd, the price to fix..

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
slippy

Roland MC505 lcd, the price to fix..

Post by slippy »

Hi all, My MC 505 is at the shop right now.. I bought it for 125. The save button is f'd and one of the knobs is loose and the screen is hard to read but readable.. Anyway, The shop gave me an estimate to fix everything.. The cost to fix is 359.00 .. Whatt???? The screen alone is around 210 to fix.. I'm only getting the save and knobs to fix..

Rightkeys.com is not sending any screens for the mc for now..

Question, are Roland products cheap and unreliable? I just bought a JV2080 and I pray to God there's no problems with that..
Sprockett

Re: Roland MC505 lcd, the price to fix..

Post by Sprockett »

Wow, 359.00 is pretty steep but it seems like getting an LCD replaced on almost anything is expensive. I rarely see these for sale in my area, but there is one on the Vancouver Craigslist right now for $200 Canadian. Unless you need a working one right away I guess it would be cheaper to search for a used one and keep your old one for parts or something.

As for the cheap and unreliable thing, I have a JV-1080 and an MKS-50 I picked up second hand about 5 years ago now and they're still in perfect shape. I also have a GR-50 guitar synth and a U-20 keyboard, both purchased new around 1991-1992 and even they are still in perfect working order. Obviously everyone's mileage varies, but your JV-2080 should be fine if it's taken care of.

Best of luck with the MC-505, I hope it works out.
slippy

Post by slippy »

Thanks mate, I just asked them to fix the write button and get the loose knob fix..
AtticaEnumbrea

Post by AtticaEnumbrea »

Hey,

I checked w/ my repair shop to just fix the screen and it was $250 for the part and the labor, so I don't think it's too far off.

I recommend looking on craigslist to try to find a cheap handy repairman. It's a pretty simple procedure for someone w/ skillz and he's only charging me $25 (W/ the $50 screen I ordered it's $75 total).

From the reading I've done, getting another used one will still run you into the problem w/ the screen. The ALL seem to go after a while.

Hope that helps.