Question about the sp-404sx

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Leibregime

Question about the sp-404sx

Post by Leibregime »

Hi there! I am currently thinking about buying a sp-404sx for live usage but I am not entirely shure about if this unit can do what I want it to.
My situation is: My songs are arrangements mixed of sounds of about 5 Synthesizers and various FX units so carrying all of my gear to live gigs can get pretty lame at times.
Now what I want to do is to just bring just a few synthesizers on the stage and store the sounds from the studio gear to a sampler to trigger their parts via a external sequencer.
I don't want to add a laptop to the set because it is always risky to do so.
My question is, can I trigger the different pads of the sp-404sx from an external sequencer and what midi signal is used to do this?
Is it as easy as a note on/off signal or does it work somehow else?
Would be great if someone could help me out with this question.
I AM

Re: Question about the sp-404sx

Post by I AM »

Hi! i had sp-404 and yes, it is possible to trigger samples with midi note on messages( it has midi in, but no midi out)... it should be the same on 404sx... pretty good for live... you can upload samples via flash card and trigger them via midi notes... but you're limited to 6 stereo/12mono samples played simultaneously and 1 effect at a time, however some effects are pretty nice.... the other big limitation is that you can't pitch samples, it has a pitchshift effect, but it sounds different from normal pitching found on other samplers
Leibregime

Post by Leibregime »

Thx a lot! Sonds good to me. ;)
So I can only use 6 of the 12 pads when using stereo samples? That is kind of a letdown. But can I have the 12 pads full of stereo samples but just can't play them all together?
How is this messured? Is it maximum 12 sample polyphone?
Still something I could dig around when planning arrangements
I AM

Post by I AM »

yes, 12 voice polyphony.... you can have the 12 pads full of stereo samples but just can't play them all together