MC-505 HELP PLEASE.

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
darienx

MC-505 HELP PLEASE.

Post by darienx »

Hello, can someone please assist me in setting up my 505.

My goal for this session is to use it as a drum box.

1) I would like it to boot up so its ready to have its drum patches triggered. (no patterns)

2) I would like to set the drum sounds to separate outs.

I'm having trouble understanding the global settings for midi channels and outputs.

Is there a windows pattern editor or a good way to integrate this unit with Cubase 5 ?
Sprockett

Re: MC-505 HELP PLEASE.

Post by Sprockett »

Hi darienx,

Have you checked out MIDI Quest by Sound Quest, Inc. for editing your MC-505? I don't know if it will do what you want but it says it supports your groovebox so you might want to check it out. I use it on my MKS-50, JV-1080 and a Korg M3R with great results, plus it has a VST plugin component to make Cubase address hardware synths like software synths. Here's a link if you want to look into it:

http://www.squest.com/

I've never owned an MC-505 so I don't know about the other stuff you're asking about, sorry. But this board has some great members so if someone here knows I'm sure they'll help you out.
darienx

Post by darienx »

Hey and thanks for the response, we've checked out the MidiQuest XL and it is a great app.

We are looking for particular assistance on the points in the above listed post. And further assistance where the MQXL leaves off for the 505. Its still a great app though and we give it a thumb up.

with that being said we are still searching for assistance!

thanks!
warp

Post by warp »

Hello,
search in the Web:
MC505adv.pdf : "Supplemental notes - MC-505 advanced programming".
It's a Roland document that helps to configure the outputs.
About the 1st request:
you can save your patterns in your User or Card memory without midi sequencing data except at least one track (for example the N° 7) wich can be muted.
I'm not sure that you can output the single drum hits of the R part to separate audio outs, but you can use other parts (1,2,3, etc.) with drum patches and save the pattern...
bye!
darienx

Post by darienx »

warp ( and all)

I think what they wanted to do was:
as soon as the MC505 turns on it's setup is ready to be a drum sound trigger
with no pattern data at all.

each kit needs to have drum sounds to certain indie outs for outboard compression and verbs.

sounds simple. I couldn't find in the documentation how to do this.

what would be nice is to wipe all presets out of the MC505 I think they will populate new ones as they are needed.

thanks for any additional input.
HecTech

Post by HecTech »

hi, to use the direct outputs (maybe, now yuo know to do it):

for the outputs:
must consider that when using the direct outputs, you can not apply the internal effects on the instrument that comes out of your direct outputs: if only you'll use 505 for sequence of percussion trigger, assign each part an instrument like a bass drum or snare, select part 1 and assign a bass drum, then press the button tempo / mixer, mixer part in the section selected efx / out (up megamix) and let down the shift button, moving the fader of the part you want to send to direct output on the screen you will see the legend DIR 1 or DIR 2, that means the signal is already out of there, back to the patch section and enter the edit mode of the patch and edit the pan right side, for example therefore part 1 out through the right side of the direct output 1.
For the "R" can send different instruments for the direct outputs, editing the drum patch and panning each instrument of slide you want to use, remember to assign an output signal will direct all out there, so if you assign the R.

Yuoa can send the R part through direc 1 left and right and in the direc 2 parts 1 in left & part 2 in the right ans for the mai outputs the other parts.
HecTech

Post by HecTech »

if yuo want mor info check this link

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=173

and read the "MC-505 Advanced Programming " manual