My experience upgrading MC 909 FW via USB

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
DoDD

My experience upgrading MC 909 FW via USB

Post by DoDD »

So, reading thru the topics here I saw that many people were trying to upgrade their FW to the latest version but did not have a SM card to do it and so had to resort to the dreaded USB upgrade. Now I'd like to share my experience for those who are contemplating to upgrade their boxes via USB.

So like many, I did not have a SM card and was using a very old version of the FW (so old it didn't even have the Sampler Machine Gun function), I followed the instructions provided by DJFLEX-mk2 (thanks man) here

http://forums.rolandclan.com/?action=show_thread&thread...

I used a Macbook Pro running MAC OS X for this process and I followed the steps VERBATIM from the thread above.

I enabled the debug mode for the MC 909 to allow the Macbook to see the Prog folder.
When I dropped the folders on the MC 909 it took about 5 minutes and then it threw an error saying that the disk was full or whatever.

I did not have a memory expansion card, I had only the internal one which is 16MB I think. The uncompressed files for the FW upgrade were LARGER than 16MB.

How the fuck Roland releases an upgrade larger than what the machine can handle?

Well, anyway... the files wouldn't fit the MC 909 so what I did, I deleted those stupid R&B samples from the new FW folder and copied again and this time with success.

I rebooted my MC 909 and just like many here have reported, all preset patterns were gone and as a consequence, so were all the RPS and pattern call presets. I was concerned for a moment but when I checked my own patterns they were all intact...phew! Everything else is working fine though.

I don't know what caused the presets to disappear but I'm not concerned, thanks to that the MC 909 loads much much faster when booting up.

So for those facing the dilemma of whether upgrade the FW via USB or via SM card, the moral of the story is:

If you don't mind losing all the default patterns plus RPS and pattern call presets, go for it. But MAKE DAMN SURE you're following the exact steps provided above otherwise you'll end up with a bricked groovebox.

My upgrade went smooth except for the size of the upgrade which I had to get around by deleting the R&B sample files. I now have FW v1.23 and I'm very happy with the improvements from it. The old FW was total garbage and very buggy.

If, however, you don't feel like risking it, hunt down an SM card and SM reader at Guitar Center or eBay and upgrade that way.

Hope that helps ;)
nocredentails

Re: My experience upgrading MC 909 FW via USB

Post by nocredentails »

hey could you please please tell me how you deleated the RandB samples...and if i did this would i be able to store more of my own samples into the box.
the last thing i want is a brick and i dont see the merrit of this update outwieghing the risk...but if i could erase the r and b samples and all of the vocal samples ....and if doing so i could use the space for my own samples, i may actually be able to do a project in one take instead of having to erase and load...my goodness 230 drum samples saved one at a time suck the life out of me....having to erase them to make room for other samples... makes jack a dull boy.
DoDD

Post by DoDD »

Here's how I deleted:

I downloaded the Firmware upgrade from the Roland website and went to this folder

C:\MC909\MC909_MAC_Ver_1.23\ROLAND\UPD\GPRO\SMPL

Inside this folder is where the samples are kept and they all total in 5MB in size

So I deleted them and then copied the entire folder to the MC 909

If you want to delete the R&B samples FROM the MC 909 then the path would be something like

PROG\ROLAND\UPD\GPRO\SMPL

Now if you have enough space in your MC 909 you could try replacing the preset samples with yours however, I think the risk here is that the MC 909 might not recognize them.

I would recommend you renaming your samples to exactly the way that the preset samples are named which is:

smpl0001.wav
smpl0002.wav
smpl0003.wav

and so forth...

I can't guarantee if this will work because I didn't try replacing the samples, I just needed the space so I deleted them.

Good luck
nocredentails

Post by nocredentails »

hey thanks for the help , it looks like ill just be buying the memory upgrade....
Honestly i think anyone wouldve paid to have the 64mb chip installed already right from the get go....seriously 120 seconds of recording time...
I wont nit pick thought he machine is a beast..
I just learned that you can asign different parameter or wave files to velocity layers! Up to 4....not bad at all .
I havent gotten in to it but if it applies to the patch samples this could be an awsome tool that couple with the fact that a user patch dont take up that much room makes this a pretty good tool.
I also just learned that there is a phantom sound engine in there?
Hard to talk about it an not want to use it right now......
DoDD

Post by DoDD »

Hmm... I thought the XV Synth engine was the same as the XV-5050 and XV-5080

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/mc909.php

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/xv5050.php

Basically you have 4 tones, each tone has Left and Right assignable waves. So in one patch you have up to 8 waves, 2 of them assigned to each tone.

It's still a rompler but hey, it works pretty good and you can make some kickass patches.