Roland MC-505 with Ableton

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Fantrex

Roland MC-505 with Ableton

Post by Fantrex »

I'm pretty new to the Roland MC-505 (Christmas present)
There's a few questions I would like to ask.

I can record the Groovebox onto Ableton as an instrument from phones output to mixer just fine but I would like to know if it's possible to record these sounds as midi so I could edit them within the programme?

If this fails I know it's possible to use the MC-505 as a midi controller for Ableton how would I about this.

I'm still new to the production scene but would really would love to know the answers

Thankyou in advance!
warp

Re: Roland MC-505 with Ableton

Post by warp »

Hello!
I had the same idea and I think that if you want to edit the midi sequence inside Ableton Live you should:
1)Set Ableton Live as Midi Master Sequencer and Roland MC-505 as Midi Slave (You must follow the manual instructions to do it the right way). With these options selected the MC-505 will be a sound module midi-sequenced by Ableton LIve.
2)Surely you know that the 8 channels of the 505 can be controlled by 8 MIDI channels of an external sequencer, so with Ableton you must set 8 midi tracks (they must send midi data to 505) and configure correctly the midi routings in the preferences. Remember that the "R" part of the 505 (the drums part) is controlled by midi channel 10 while the other channels are controlled by midi ch. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
Read carefully the manuals of Ableton Live and Roland MC-505 and you will find the answer.
Ah, you you have a multichannel sound card you can also route the separate channels of the 505 to different input of the soundcard, in this way you can use Ableton as Midi sequencer and as MULTITRACK audio recorder, with the advantages of processing the separate channels with internal DSP processor (ableton effects or thirdy party effect plugins).
Keep on studying the world between hardware and software and you will be happy to integrate the two worlds!
warp

Post by warp »

Hello again,
there's a document by Roland wich is perfect for you:
"SUPPLEMENTAL NOTES - External sequencing with the MC-505"
search it on the web, the file is "MC505ext.pdf"
bye!
Fantrex

Post by Fantrex »

This helps alot!
I was getting to the point were I had to record the C note of the Roland into a sampler and then control the sampler with my midi keyboard enter midi sequences and if I wantd to change the sound it meant rerecording the sample.
Was a pain but this should help me alot
thankyou very much !!
HecTech

Post by HecTech »

hi yuo only can use ableton as slave, I tried to control my 505 with ableton and is imposible, only with reason lebe act as master,

yuo can use the 505 as mida controler, in the preferences dialog dos not apear a seting for general midi anda less for the 505, not like mcp or launch pad or akai, etc. for tha reason yuo can use it as midi controller.