mc505 sp808 midi advice wanted

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
mortar and pestle

mc505 sp808 midi advice wanted

Post by mortar and pestle »

I did post this in another part of the forum but this looks more suited to what i need and also looks more active , let me start by saying hi, im new around here, i have had a little look and theres some great info kicking around on this site but not really the info im looking for,

Please bear in mind im doing this as a personal project for fun im not expecting to be rich or famouse,
I am using the roland mc505 synth great fun that is, im still getting my head around it,i did find some really good tuitions on the interweb but i am having problems connecting it to my sp808, so i have a few questions, i did use the search function on the forums but this didnt come up with anything remotly helpfull
Just to clarify i have and am using midi leads i also have aux/phono leads

Q.what is the best way to connect the mc505 to the sp808, i have heard u can connect them both ways, in an ideal world i would like to be able to sample something and play it through the Mc505 keyboard or am i asking too much. I would then like to be able to record onto the mc505 and send it to the sp 808 to sample again, im not sure if this is possible

Q. Is there anyway i can link my mc505 to the sp808 so that i can play samples via the keyboard on my mc505,is it even possible? so far i have only managed to be able to connect the mc505 to the sp808 to sample sounds from mc505 to 808

Q.when recording to the pc im using a free program call audacity in my opinion theres got to be something better that gives me a mixer option for lvls,again i would much prefer a free program but im willing to download one through torrent if theres a decent one availeble

Q.is there anything i should be doing to get the most out of my mic? I can plug it into the sp808 can i add echo and such effects to my voice,

Sorry its all in one post guys/girls but i didnt think it was a sensible idea to start many threads, also all my tec is before 2000 so it made sense to put it here

Anyhelp would be recieved with much appreciation
Thanks in advance rik
mortar and pestle

Re: mc505 sp808 midi advice wanted

Post by mortar and pestle »

ok i assume this forum has died.?
herfst

Re: mc505 sp808 midi advice wanted

Post by herfst »

Hi Rik,

I'm still using the mc505 and the sp808, they are great machines.
I don't have them here right now so i have tot do it by memory.
The sp808 i use as master (midi out) the 505 as slave ( midi in).
On the 808 you go to the song button, then song parameters select internal and midi clk
On the 505 press shift and 11 and select slave. 
Now when you press play on the 808 the 505 should play at the tempo of the 808.

To play samples on the 808 via the 505.
Also connect 505 midi out and 808 midi in
808: select system/disc button
Select pad rx ch
Select midichannel you want lets say 1
505: press midchannel 1 button
Press shift 12
With page button go to midi: local tx setting and select external for midichannel 1
Now when you play the keyboard of the 505 you should hear the samples of the 808.
Raise the octave button if you cant hear anything, it uses only 16 notes. You can use the sequecer too to trigger the samples.

Hope it helps
Have fun,
Herfst