Hey, Roland MC 909 users...

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
canefire

Hey, Roland MC 909 users...

Post by canefire »

I may be purchasing a MC909 soon. Just want to know if the sustain issue has been addressed.
I hear that it has no sustain...so when you switch to a different pattern the audio stops abruptly as it changes patterns. Is this true?
I have been doing a lot of research but have not gotten my hands on one of these units yet. I have been going back and forth between whether I will buy an Akia MPC 4000, the Yamaha RS7000, or the Roland MC 909. I know how to use the FAntom S really well now and I am sure that I would be able to get the MC909 immediately due to the similar layout. However I do not want to buy it if there are audio problems with the MC909.
The main reason I want one of these is as a live sequencer. I was told about the innerclock devices and I spoke to the guy there that makes them. The innerclock site states that the MC909 and the MPC4000 have best timing. Well I want the best, and reading all of that timing stuff has made me insecure regarding the midi jitter (that I have noticed) in my setup.
I also like the fact that the MC909 can be had for $400-$450 lately whereas the MPC 4000 is still somewhat high at $800 or so. I see the Yamaha RS7000 for $450 all over the web.
All MC909 owners please tell me if v1.23 has fixed the problems...what problems do you know of with the MC909.
Cheers,
Ian CaneFire

PS "eagerly awaiting a moog minitaur"
Building$eas

Re: Hey, Roland MC 909 users...

Post by Building$eas »

The sustain issue is still there, even after the v1.23 update. I usually use my DAW to work around this issue by recording a little bit to a couple measures extra of the pattern I am switching from and doing a crossfade into the new patern... still a pain in the a$$ though. Despite the issue, I do like my 909 a lot, and having both the MC-808 and MC-909, I must say that I do favor the MC-909 a little more. The comparison is close, and they both have some great unique features. What sets the 909 apart is that it functions better on it's own than the mc-808. Some functions on the MC-808 can only be operated from within the eitor (808 connected to pc), and this is just extra steps in the work flow.
canefire

Re: Hey, Roland MC 909 users...

Post by canefire »

Thanks for the response Building. I have since purchased an Akai MPC4000 and a MC909 is being shipped. So I will figure out a way to use both. So far I am really lovin' the MPC4000. I just got the MC909 for $330. I look forward to learning it thoroughly.
Peace
Ian