New MC-909 Owner...

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
MattPlay

New MC-909 Owner...

Post by MattPlay »

Hi.

I just purchased a MC-909. It was very dirty, had been written on and several of the pads weren't working. I opened it up, replaced the pads, cleaned it thoroughly from the inside out and now this thing is like new!

I upgraded the internal RAM with a 256MB card. I also purchased 3 x 128MB SmartMedia cards to work with.

I am beginning to dive into this thing and learn all the ins and outs but have a few questions and hoped some experienced users may offer some tips & tricks.

I am setting this up as a multi-instrument in Logic 9. I will mainly be using this as a sound module. I am hoping to load it up with raw waveforms I have but read that it is not possible to loop the waveform to make it infinite?? Is this the case?

Are we bound to purchasing SRX cards for more solid waveforms? If so, any recommendations of which card for a tech/prog/electro house producer? I am thinking Supreme Dance..

I am currently on firmware 1.20. Should I upgrade to 1.23? The thought of not being able to simultaneously mute several parts is disheartening. Yet machine-gun-mode sounds fun and useful on drums, etc. Do the added presets and machine-gun-mode outweigh the simultaneous mute bug in your opinion?

I was considering loading this with remix stems/loops but am still trying to figure how to load the loop. Do they have to be loaded as a waveform or is there a simpler way to just make a 'part' an audio loop?

Lastly, any other tips for an MC-909 noob?

Thanks!
chilledbeatz

Re: New MC-909 Owner...

Post by chilledbeatz »

I am setting this up as a multi-instrument in Logic 9. I will mainly be using this as a sound module. I am hoping to load it up with raw waveforms I have but read that it is not possible to loop the waveform to make it infinite?? Is this the case?
No, looping can be easily achieved in sampler mode.
Are we bound to purchasing SRX cards for more solid waveforms? If so, any recommendations of which card for a tech/prog/electro house producer? I am thinking Supreme Dance..
I have supreme dance, it is "ok". Gives you some different waveforms at least, nothing too special though.
I am currently on firmware 1.20. Should I upgrade to 1.23? The thought of not being able to simultaneously mute several parts is disheartening. Yet machine-gun-mode sounds fun and useful on drums, etc. Do the added presets and machine-gun-mode outweigh the simultaneous mute bug in your opinion?
You should upgrade. The mute bug only applies to 2 channels. The "need" to mute those 2 channels simultaneously can easily be avoided, and therefore make this no problem.
I was considering loading this with remix stems/loops but am still trying to figure how to load the loop. Do they have to be loaded as a waveform or is there a simpler way to just make a 'part' an audio loop?
You can do looping in the 909 sampler mode, or you can set loop points on your audio files on PC as long as you save/export/import them as .aif files. The 909 will ignore the loop data in .wav files unfortunately.
Lastly, any other tips for an MC-909 noob?
Read the manual and browse some old posts here and on yahoo groups for some great tips. There are some very useful user developed tools from yesteryear. Google "w2r.exe" and "909 editor 3.1" they will save you some time doing the things you haven't thought of yet :-)
MattPlay

Re: New MC-909 Owner...

Post by MattPlay »

Thanks a lot for chiming in!

Sounds good on the update, I will go for that!

I will play around more with the file looping, and loading as a waveform.

I printed the manual out the other day and will dive in more... Thanks!