MC 505 info.

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
old 505 newbie

MC 505 info.

Post by old 505 newbie »

Hi, I'm a newbie here and synths. I bought a MC 505 on line, haven't received it yet.
Wondering how old is this synth, and is there info. or parts available if needed? The screen has been replaced.
Not doing any pro work. Just wanted the joy to be able to make my own music and learn. Have wanted one since the Moog came out years ago.
I'm grateful to find this forum, Thanks.
old 505 newbie

Re: MC 505 info.

Post by old 505 newbie »

Hooked it up and it seems to work well. It's amazing what the possibilities are. Using headphones, can't get it to work through the computer. Tried usb input through analog to digital adapter and tried cables direct to mic input.
I'm just a starting beginner, so I printed a manual and watching anything I can find on u tube. Just learning how to play patches and use some of the controls. Haven't tried to record anything yet. Reading the book as I go. It's not easy, just need to keep playing on it. I guess that's the only way I'll learn.
old 505 newbie

Post by old 505 newbie »

I'll keep posting any progress. Hope that's ok.
I just played patterns and patches. The user file is full of them. Don't know if it comes this way or has been added. Seems to lock on a pattern after a while of playing and need to stop and move with page. Wheel and DEC and INC stop working on the higher numbers? Sometimes the tempo changes by itself. The record button won't stay on just flashes with music?
Maybe all this is normal or it's just glitchy? I'll keep reading and working at it. Maybe I can pick up some info here. Thanks.
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

I bought an MC-303 a couple of months ago.... love it. It's so simple & quick to work on.

I don't know what the upgrades were to the MC-505.

I'm glad you're having fun with your new gear.
old 505 newbie

Post by old 505 newbie »

thanks thunderkyss for the feedback.

That's it, just fun. As I read another few pages in the book I use what they wrote about. Then go back to what I learned the past few days and keep using that to practice. There are some glitches that maybe an update will help?

These machines are so cool. They are overloaded with ideas and features overlapping to give great capabilities.

I want to get ahead of my progress but just 1 step at a time. I have 4 days off work and want to learn as much as possible.

I want to take mine apart and maybe try to clean some pots and switches that aren't working well. The rotary wheel needs some care.
old 505 newbie

Post by old 505 newbie »

After 3 days spent with the 505 I'm thrilled to have it and disappointed in my progress. The machine has more capabilities than my old brain can process very fast.
I tried step recording semi successfully, as I haven't managed to store it yet. Not a big loss.
Practice, I guess.