MC-909 not saving samples onto RAM

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
wombatguy

MC-909 not saving samples onto RAM

Post by wombatguy »

Hello,
on the MC-909 I have been saving sample's to the internal 16MB memory which works fine thru the sampling/resampling method using the inputs on the back on the groovebox. Ive extended the memory to a 256MB PC100 SDRAM and the 909 says there is "16MB (SDRAM) + 256MB (DIMM) = 272MB (Total)". When I try to save one of the recorded samples and finish choppin it and whatnot, the sample will play as expected but when I turn the 909 off the sample seemingly disappears. The name of the sample is still there in the user section of the PATCH/SAMPLE area but there is no audio. Ive tried replacing the RAM with another 256MB RAM yet the problem still occurs.

Has anyone else had this problem or know how I could possibly fix this issue?

Thank you,
Benny Heflinger
sauce

Re: MC-909 not saving samples onto RAM

Post by sauce »

I am also having this problem, although I believe the OP was not saving each sample before saving a patch, which is why his samples were disappearing on power-down. Nonetheless, my issue is related..

I have fully upgraded RAM, and it is recognized and appears in my System Memory check, yet I can't seem to figure out how to save samples into the RAM area consistently. For instance, a memory check shows that my SmartMedia card is nearly full of saved samples, and my user memory is also full, but my RAM says it is only 58% full. Which means some of my samples have been saved in RAM, but I don't know how. Now all samples I try to save give me a "memory full" error. Does anyone know how to save into RAM consistently? Thank you!
Seccione

Post by Seccione »

RAM is the working memory (just like in PC) - It's not persistent memory.
The amount of RAM defines how much sample data can be in use simultaneously.

You must save your samples to Smart Media Card, it's like the hard drive.
sauce

Post by sauce »

Seccione wrote:RAM is the working memory (just like in PC) - It's not persistent memory.
The amount of RAM defines how much sample data can be in use simultaneously.

You must save your samples to Smart Media Card, it's like the hard drive.

Thank you. I since figured this out.. Which means that Roland really jumped the shark when they made a 256mb RAM upgrade possible, but based on SmartMedia, the maximum card size of which is only 128mb. I guess the only solution is to get a 256mb XD card and adapter.. Which will stick out about an inch above the chassis and provide a security breach during live shows. I guess the MC909 can't be the all-in-one solution I was hoping for.

Thanks again for your help. =)

http://soundcloud.com/SnowMetal