I won a MC 909

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
ZipSnipe

I won a MC 909

Post by ZipSnipe »

Well I just won a MC 909, I don't even want to tell yall how sweet of a price I got it for. But I have a problem, I have never really liked Roland sound. I do like the sequencer( I used to have a MC505), and I think its a great sequencer and I am sure the 909 has improved over the 505's I hope.

I was looking at getting a Korg Electrotribe2 but I bid a ridiculous offer on the MC909 and won. So I will definitely use it and try to make the best out of the sounds that I can. I am hoping maybe a expansion board would maybe bring in some better sounds.

Hey Roland here's an idea, get with other manufacturers and make sound expansions of their synths. Man Korg sounds with a Roland sequencer like the MC909 that would be sweet!!!!
Alavux

Re: I won a MC 909

Post by Alavux »

there's sampler inside mc909 that you can use it very well if you dont like factory sounds (but rolands engines are always to create your own)
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

yeah I know, but before it even gets here I am planning on reselling it. I know I won't be satisfied with its sounds. I have never heard a Roland synth that I really like sound wise. However I am not bashing Roland just I have never liked the sound quality. Always tooo toy sounding and stale. I am sure it would make someone else happy.

I will just make sure that after I receive it I will go though it and make sure all the buttons work and such. I still have a bunch of tactile buttons if I need to solder in new ones.

I wanna keep my set up small, my plan calls for 2 sp808s which I have, Korg Kaosilator Pro which I have and a sequencer box. I mean I will run though the 909 sounds but I have my eye on maybe the Spectralis 1 or 2
DaniH

Post by DaniH »

I bought mine completly refurbished, new pads, pots, sliders, etc. for only $500. It worked and still works perfect. Came with everything. Max ram and 128b card. Even came with replacement velocity sensitive pads!!! Keep your MC-909. Do not resell it. You'll regret it. I wouldn't sell mine for anything.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Well bummer, no sound at first and buttons were all mashed in. SO I took it apart, straightened out the buttons , cleaned the pads and still no sound, finally got sound via Dbeam. So as of now the velocity pads do not work as is the play stop pads of the sequencer. I am trying to purchase new pads but none are for sale in America any where. I am also looking to replace all the tactile switches as soon as I locate them. I think I can get her going again, just need those pads , I have a conductive ink kit that I will try out as thats my only hope as of now.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

The ink worked perfect and all is working just fine. I had a chance to play around with it and just like my 505, I hate the sounds, god awful. In fact when I hear guys praise the sounds I am thinking they have never heard Korg, Waldorph or any other synth. But I do like the sequencer. The mixer section is awesome

I am however going to put it up on Ebay after I fix one switch that does not work waiting for it to come in.

I have decided to go with the electribe 2, I like the portability of it plus it sounds sweet.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

one more update, I couldn't bring myself to sell it. It has soooo much to offer as a sequencer. So now the Electribe 2 is the master sequencer , it starts the mc909 which I can still use kind of as a master sequencer also. Both of best worlds. The only one that is not playing nice is the sp808 which does not sync to midi clock(I know right?) But its still usuable
XpanderDude

Post by XpanderDude »

ZipSnipe wrote:one more update, I couldn't bring myself to sell it. It has soooo much to offer as a sequencer. So now the Electribe 2 is the master sequencer , it starts the mc909 which I can still use kind of as a master sequencer also. Both of best worlds. The only one that is not playing nice is the sp808 which does not sync to midi clock(I know right?) But its still usuable
I'm surprised you don't like the sound engine of the MC. It's pretty tweakable once you get an editor involved. For instance, Legowelt has done some pretty wild stuff using his JV1080.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

yeah I am starting to find some good sounds in it. They are hidden deep in the machine.

I am also discovering that Roland gear does not like to be slaved. No midi clock will go past the 909. I had to buy a midi break out box and all is good.
bonerton

Post by bonerton »

Set the sequencer to 'Remote' and Sync Output to On in the system settings and you're good
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Thanx bonerton, I have tried that and with no luck, I have everything working now, but my main problem is I want the Electribe2 to just send midi clock which it does but it also sends a pattern start command which kicks the mc909 seq on, the work around is to have the 909 on a blank pattern. So I have been thinking about firing the Electribe2 however as with the 909 I just fall back in love with it when I mess around with it.

But seriously thinking about getting a Fantom keyboard to be my main sequencer.
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

Well, I still have it. I actually love the sound I criticized earlier. It without a doubt has the best filter and mean dirty sounding filter. The effects are eh, when I run it through my Lexicon mpx500 sounds even more awesome. I have not even touched the sampler part yet. And I strongly recommend everyone pick up a Lexicon fx box, I am seeing them go for sooo cheap, I paid $50 for mine from a church, so in excellent condition.

Yeah I feel like if I sell this off, I will be losing, even if I made profit.
djjohnk

Can anyone here help me please?

Post by djjohnk »

Hello, how are you? I was just wondering if anyone can direct to a forum or someone who can help me with my Roland MC 909? I just purchased it used and all of the presets are empty. I did a factory restore thinking that this would help but I still I have nothing. Can anyone help me please? Thank you in advance. John
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

John u should start a thread on this, is there any names of presets when you start it up and maybe just no sound?