Roland MC-909 bricked!

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
PJB-1138

Roland MC-909 bricked!

Post by PJB-1138 »

Hello,

Is there a fellow MC-909 owner in the US who can format a Smartcard for me? I purchased an MC-909 on eBay awhile back that didn't come with a Smartcard. I tried updating the MC-909 via USB (stupid, I know) and ended up bricking the unit, with no OS in its internal ROM to boot up from otherwise.

I have since purchased a 128MB Smartcard but, since it was never formatted by an MC-909, the Groovebox won't read it. I have reached out to Roland USA but was told they're unable to format the card for me as well.

If there is a charitable soul who would be willing to format this card on their MC-909 for me and return it in a self-addressed postage-paid envelope, please let me know.

Thanks in advance, ;-)
Phil
bonerton

Re: Roland MC-909 bricked!

Post by bonerton »

Hi Phil,

I could do this for you. I have a copy of a freshly formatted card on my computer I could easily upload and send, but you'd still need to load it onto an SM card via a reader or something. I could also snail mail a physical copy, if you send as stated above; I'm located in Oregon. Just dm me on here

I did the USB method a while ago and ended up deleting all the factory presets (patterns, patches, samples, pattern call, and rps), but it didn't brick it fortunately. I didn't care much about loosing the samples or the patterns, but the factory patterns and patches are helpful to analyze and learn from.
PJB-1138

Post by PJB-1138 »

OMG!

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! PM sent.

Phil
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

would love to know if ya unbricked it !!!!
PJB-1138

Post by PJB-1138 »

Yes I was, with Bonerton's generous assistance. It was just a matter of having a properly formatted SM card for the MC-909 to boot from. Is that the problem with yours?
ZipSnipe

Post by ZipSnipe »

No but it's nice to know there is a solution just in case :-)