Using a Keyboard controller instead of MC-909 velocity pads?

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
dbeck718

Using a Keyboard controller instead of MC-909 velocity pads?

Post by dbeck718 »

Hey Grooveboxers,

I must be really stupid to post this but I have a Donner DMK-Pro 25 hooked up (on CH01) to my MC-909 as an alternative to using the velocity pads but I can't seem to get a squeak out of it. Checked the manuals and I think I have done things right.

What experience does anyone have of connecting a keyboard controller to the MC-909? It should be really straight forward but I am missing something. I'll be buggered if I know though...

Any general guidance or step-by-step would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dan
bonerton

Re: Using a Keyboard controller instead of MC-909 velocity pads?

Post by bonerton »

Yes, you can of course use a midi keyboard. Midi out of keyboard to midi in on MC obviously. Check your midi transmit (Tx) and receive (Rx) settings in the system menu on the MC; you'll probably want to have all the Rx options on. Note that the "Remote Keyboard Switch" setting is basically midi omni mode, and if it's on, it will reroute any incoming midi to the part that is selected via the part select buttons. The MC's parts 1-16 are hardwired (unfortunately) and correspond to midi channels 1-16. Make sure whatever patches you have assigned to your parts are volumed up and tone switches are on?
dbeck718

Re: Using a Keyboard controller instead of MC-909 velocity pads?

Post by dbeck718 »

Hey Bonerton, great tips. Many thanks!