My V-synth XT needs a new encoder

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
coyote14

My V-synth XT needs a new encoder

Post by coyote14 »

My V-synth XT has a failure with its "Value" encoder. Its action gets weird for an unknow reason (no chock, no moisture, nothing wrong??)

Does anybody has an address where I could order this encoder. I will replace it by myself.

Cheers
coyote14

Re: My V-synth XT needs a new encoder

Post by coyote14 »

Mmmh...nobody?
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

Have you done a factory reset?? It could help you........
If this doesn't work I don't know anything else to help you. You could also try Roland support, explaining your problem.

I hope this helps!! Remember to backup your work before the factory reset!!
BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog »

Hi.

Did you find a solution for this as mine has gone wonky as well?

Thanks

Andy
pbk

Post by pbk »

I too had to replace mine last year and got it from Brian Hendrix at HendrixSound in Kissimmee (brian at hendrixsound.com). I highly recommend their services.

For the Alps encoder and knob, parts are:

03565789 Value Knob
03231912 Rotary Encoder w/Push-Switch

If you know how to solder, it should be a fairly easy task, although you have to disassembly the front panel removing first the sides and detaching several flat ribbon cables to have access to the panel. The encoder is soldered quite well and there is a huge ground plane (the Japanese really know how to make'em right!) so you will need a good solder iron or station with a fast temp ramp to avoid causing any damage to the board, especially while removing the old one.

If any of the words above cause you anxiety, I recommend you send the V-Synth to them for repair instead.

Cheers.
coyote14

Post by coyote14 »

So much time has passed since I had this problem...thanks for answering!

I fixed my issue by changing the whole encoder card. It was not so expansive (something like 30€, if I remember right). It is quite easy to change, no soldering was necessary.
NdstrialStrength

Post by NdstrialStrength »

Do you remember where you got the encoder card or the part number? Thank you.
lost fret

Post by lost fret »

seconding the request for manufacturer and part number of an appropriate
push-button encoder (and possibly encoder card? whatever that is)!

about to pull the trigger on a v-synth xt with a problematic encoder.
would really love to have the machine in perfect working order as quickly
as possible. Help would be VERY appreciated!
Percivale

Post by Percivale »

Same here. Potentially a value knob that isn't working so well. What's the best or recommended fix?
lost fret

Post by lost fret »

pulled the trigger, very happy with the v-synth and the d-50. didn't dive into the vocal designer much yet.

still looking for the encoder. for the time being using inc & dec buttons, combined with shift
or pressing and holding one after another, both satisfyingly fast options. the num pad also.
starting to forget there's even any need for a knob.

frustrated with the lack of user experience, though. might have to e-mail roland. wonder if that works?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

lost fret wrote:pulled the trigger, very happy with the v-synth and the d-50. didn't dive into the vocal designer much yet.

still looking for the encoder. for the time being using inc & dec buttons, combined with shift
or pressing and holding one after another, both satisfyingly fast options. the num pad also.
starting to forget there's even any need for a knob.

frustrated with the lack of user experience, though. might have to e-mail roland. wonder if that works?
I believe that there's a lot of V-Synth user experience over here, however not always a bad one!

I had my XT for 7 years with no problems at all, and I still regret the hour when I had to let her go...
Orinoko

Post by Orinoko »

Hi, guys. As this topic is incomplete I wanted to share my experience how I fixed that "V-synth XT encoder" problem.
My XT's encoder starts to behave strangely four month ago, for example, if you turn it clockwise, number going down (anticlockwise), etc. It is not end of the world, but uncomfortable. So, after I changed the screen panel in my Korg M3, I became proud of myself and brave enough to fix V-synth XT.

I am in UK, so I called Roland UK, and nice guy Steve Barret asked me couple of questions and found the spare part I needed.
"Thank you for your enquiry we have the V-Synth XT Encoder board  in stock . £42.07 including delivery and vat. The part numbers is 72909545".
It arrived quickly and I spent about 1.5 hours to install it (with 2-3 coffee breaks). I am not techy person, but now encoder is working flawlessly.
Silagemaker

Post by Silagemaker »

To update the update above:)
If you can solder at all buying the potentiometer and knob is way cheaper than the whole board.
Part number 03231912.
£10.56 plus delivery.
The complete board is as above post says £49.50 including postage.(Ireland)
Steve Barret is a really nice guy but it will take 4 to 5 weeks to arrive from Japan .
Still. Good on Roland for still supporting it.
Pity website doesn't mention it.
Cheers
Orinoko

Post by Orinoko »

My encoder is failing again, new one. It lasted 3 years. Thanks that guy, who advised to use "DEC" and "INC" buttons instead.