Oscillator Pitch Parameter

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
suchenderxxx

Oscillator Pitch Parameter

Post by suchenderxxx »

Hi,

can someone explain me what is the difference between the pitch parameter and the pitch in semitones? We have 3 different pitch parameters. The semitone is clear it pitches in semitones. The other parameter is for cents. But what is the other one. I would expect this to be in octaves but it is not? So any ideas?
suchenderxxx

Re: Oscillator Pitch Parameter

Post by suchenderxxx »

so i still hope someone can help me answer this? no one had this problem before me?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I don't own a V-synth, sadly, but looking at the manual, it seems to imply that it is the basic tuning of the oscillator, but without access to a v-synth I couldn't be certain. What happens when you twist it?
suchenderxxx

Post by suchenderxxx »

i thought you have an v-synth....

if i turn the knob it changes the pitch. It is confusing it acts like the coarse tune but -12 on the pitch knob is not the same as -12 on the coarse tune. So still i dont understand why there is this parameter and which is this knob for. As semitones and fine tuning is already covered. And as pitch is not the octave of the oscillator im still curious what the roland engineers made this knob for. What it dont understand is that no one else has asked this question?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

No idea, sorry :/
rcraven

Post by rcraven »

It can be used to extend the 'detune' provided by the Coarse and Fine.

It's other, and probably its main, use is when Osc pitch is modulated in the Matrix.
It is used in combination with the Matrix Sens.
The Pitch setting is used as an offset.

eg set up your modulation from the Beam to the Pitch on Osc 1 and adjust the Sens(itivity) to give 2 semitones.
Use the Pitch control to re-tune the Osc 1 to match where you were against the Osc 2.
You might have to fiddle around a bit between the two controls to get it sorted.

So generally speaking Sens is the range and Pitch is the starting position when using the Modulation Matrix.

Keep the Coarse and Fine to set the starting pitch and the difference in pitch between the Oscillators.
If you are not modulating pitch or using an extreme pitch setting leave Pitch at 0.

All the best
Royce
suchenderxxx

Post by suchenderxxx »

so i will play with this and the matrix. see what i can get up with. thanks!