Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
DogZilla

Post by DogZilla »

I just thought I'd post the first thread on the General Discussion Forum.

I want a V-Synth.

Dog
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Thread starter

Post by Artemiy »

Well, this is a nice start.

;-)
DogZilla

Post by DogZilla »

Seriously though...

Before I ever walked into the music shop and bought my 1st fantom workstation I remember posting on forum.fantom-s.info (as it was called waaaay back in time) that I was after buying a workstation until such a time as I built a computer system capable of powerful music production after a year or so.

A year is now up, and I am considering saying bye bye to my fantom x and switching to using pc to create tunes.

So,

How does V-Synth integrate to a computer with regards to being a good control surface?

(Am I going to miss those pads? am I being an Idiot?)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The only thing I'd need if I had only the V-Synth is some sort of a multitrack recorder and maybe a simple sequencer to record long parts that don't fit into 32 steps of the arp.

This means that my FS (which works great as a sequencer + sampler) compliments the V-Synth perfectly. I create some great stuff on the V, then resample it and import in the FS to add to the main mix. It should be just as easy with your PC-based setup. BTW, what software DAW/sequencer are you planning to use?

Maybe you'll miss the FX actually. I think you should give a try to write some stuff using a sequencer on your PC, and compare that to using the FX. Me thinks if you spend your whole day with a PC at work, I doubt you'll be inspired to sit in front of the screen at home to write music.

I know that it is harder to afford having both FX and VS, though, but...

Artemio.
DogZilla

Post by DogZilla »

I don't know yet, but I'd probably look to use a 'light' version of either cubase or logic. As for a DAW I am still undecided too.

Oh my God I've just heard your bustabeats ogg vorbis samples!!! :-)

"are you strangling a chicken & shoving it up a cow's arse or are you playing with a v-synth?"

Awesome sounds mate!

I wanna go!

Have a good weekend A-Man & catch you next week
(time to go home)

Dog
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Damn, how in the world did you guess about the chicken??? ;-)
tarquin pedals

Post by tarquin pedals »

i want to know more about the chicken ,
seriuosly glad to see the new site up , you knew i would join

trigger my beams baby
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Welcome here!

Of course I knew you'll join, but I didn't think you'll be this fast ;-)
trrstrl

Great site

Post by trrstrl »

Congratulations on another great site Artemio.

I picked up my V-Synth even before I got a Fantom-S (now replaced by Fantom-X7). It is an incredible synth and as you say Artemio, it does complement the Fantom series very nicely.

In answer to Dogzilla's question, I don't think that the V-Synth is really set up to control software in the way Yamaha's Motif can control specific programs. I'm not sure if that is what you meant. Although I haven't had a reason to experiment in this area, I believe the V-Synth controls will transmit cc messages.

I can understand the need for some to use a software sequencer for more flexibility of effects routing and the ability to incorporate different software synths.
I personally still prefer using the Fantom to create songs.
It just seems to get me where I want a lot faster and in almost all cases sounds better too.

I know I could never limit myself to just 2 synths, but if I had to it would probably have to be my FantomX and V-Synth. They would give me plenty to work with for a long time. This doesn't mean I'm going to stop adding to my collection though.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Welcome onboard, trrstrl, and thank you for your compliments for the site.
Synthia

Post by Synthia »

Fantastic,we have a website for the V-Synth thanks to Artemio.My prayers have been answered.The mighty V-Synth deserves it's own site.
Well done,Artemio

Music keeps me sane in an insane world
Synthia
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Glad to hear this Synthia! All my work is for you, people! ;-)
Mr.XR

Post by Mr.XR »

the v-synth makes a great controller.
fe you can use the timetrippad and the d-beams to send cc messages to your sequencer for further editing.
the keyboard feels ok and the fact that you can hook the V-Synth up to your computer by USB makes life even easier.
I can really recommend it as an input device and sound generator extraordinaire for any DAW setup.

Mr.XR

the difference between theory and practise is that in theory there is no difference