So when and if do you think that a V-Synth 2 will come out?

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
FatBoyJim

So when and if do you think that a V-Synth 2 will come out?

Post by FatBoyJim »

My guess is this Winter NAMM. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again but I really do believe this.

You are the man, Artemio!
trrstrl

Re: So when and if do you think that a V-Synth 2 will come o

Post by trrstrl »

I don't really expect to see a V-Synth 2. If they can continue to add features via software updates or PC card the V-Synth can evolve some more.

I suppose this might be limited to some extent by the amount of processing power built into the synth.

I'm happy with the hardware as is. I would like to see more filters, effects, and better multitimbral operation. That last one isn't as important. I don't expect the V-Synth to behave like a workstation (it isn't), just want more options in creating performances.

If they would come out with a version 2 hopefully they would make the analog section more powerful and add some more software-like features to keep it interesting.

I guess I hope you are right and I am wrong. I wouldn't mind another V-Synth in my collection.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I guess that they will release one new V-Card at the very least.

Also, since there are no radical changes or new additions at the V-Synth section of Roland.com, it really looks like Roland is taking a deep breath in and preparing something new.

Basically, there are three variants of how things can turn out:
[1] They release a 2.0 update for the V-Synth.
[2] They release a new V-Synth.
[3] They do nothing.

Since they introduced the VC series compatible with both V-Synth and VariOS, and they seem to definitely plan extending it, I think that if [2] happens, the new synth will also be a V-Synth's brother so it can read the V-Cards too.

Note that [3] can also be the case. Although, things seem to happen quicker and quicker year after year, and maybe Roland will try to keep up with the pace of the world's synth market and do [1] or [2].

Artemio.
vaus

Post by vaus »

I think that maybe next year or the year after they will put out a v-synth 2 and maybe make it a 88 key version but similar in make style etc to the fantom s and x and maybe more pathces and drums etc
vaus
rwp42

Post by rwp42 »

I think that trying to mold the V-Synth into a Fantom-like workstation with 88-keys and sequencing is not something that Roland is likely to do. For one, they already have the Fantom-X. I like my V because it ISN'T like my X8 -- they compliment each other superbly without significant overlap. I like having two keybeds -- one optimized for 88-key piano playing and the other ideal for synths and organ-like actions. I like being able to have two independent synths with their own effects, settings, pedals, and controls. Having them be distinct is actually a major plus in the flexibility category.

Richard
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I agree with rwp42: Roland would never do that, mainly because noone will need such a board. V-Synth is great because it is what it is - a dedicated but flexible sound mangling machine.
Mr.XR

Post by Mr.XR »

i also think that they will rather release a 2.0 softwareversion instead of dumping the original hardware and replace it with a new one.
after all the whole concept of the v-synth is based upon the fact that it can take on different personalities by simply changing the software.
If they release another hardware it will probably not be a replacement but something that is targeted at a different market like a tabletop version for DJs or an entry level version.

just my 2 euro cents.....

the difference between theory and practise is that in theory there is no difference
Synthia

Post by Synthia »

I'm very happy with my V-Synth and I have no desire for a V-Synth 2.There is so much to learn and discover,it will take a long time to get bored with V-Synth.Every day I find something new on it.It is so different than any other synth ever made.It is a sound creator's heaven.I love it.

Music keeps me sane in an insane world
Synthia
venusbasstrap

Post by venusbasstrap »

Well, for me, the only real improvement would be to have more of what already exists:

ie make the V properly (easily) Multitimbral (with higher polyphony), including FX/Reverb/Compression and EQ for each part. That way we wouldn't need any external processing or mixing. :)

Instant recall of a track within one synth!

I'd say, looking at Rolands current range of gear - that they're not far off that now.

Either that, or give me a rack that can play v-synth patches. I am still quite surprised that the vari-os rack can't do this though.

VBT
moogulator

vsynth 2..

Post by moogulator »

do you want me to be honest? the vsynth doesn't sell well, so they do not make another version.

it is one of the most interesting synths these days but look at the D50 card: this isn't for those who really USE the vsynth features, huh?

if so a racked version or a smaller keyboard could be interesting.. I'd take one for live use!

well, it's not selling well.. roland will drop gear that doesn't sell that well..
same for OS updates..

...doubts..

www.moogulator.com
Hugo

v-synth 2

Post by Hugo »

Personally I hope Roland release a V-synth 2 at winter-NAMM. I think I made the wrong decision when I bought the Yamaha Motif ES earlier this year.
The V-Synth is so much cooler. I will wait until winter-NAMM, and if there is no new V-Synth, I will get the 'original'.

My guess (and hopes) are that they will release a new one eventually. This technology is far too mindblowing to be abandoned, and as software-synths keep getting better, the V-Synth is still top notch because of the controllers, and the hands-on creation of sound.

btw: super site! Great job Artemio :)
moogulator

Post by moogulator »

uhm, what lets you think there will be a vsynth 2?
or just hope..?

www.moogulator.com
rwp42

Post by rwp42 »

In many ways, synthesizers are more like computers than 'instruments': it is guaranteed that a better one is always in the process of coming out. Like purchasing a computer, I think that you need to weigh your need versus your budget and buy the best you can afford at the time. I don't like it any more than the next person when I purchase a new laptop only to have a better, cheaper one come out a week later (the 'pioneers' are the ones with the arrows in their backs). But that's the downside to the technical explosion we are currently in. It astounds me that only thirty years ago, things like personal computers and synthesizers were 'ivory tower' artifacts.

My first computer was an Atari 800xl -- an 8-bit machine with 64KB RAM and a 90KB floppy disk drive. My first synth was a Roland D-10. I am now typing on a laptop with a 1GHz G4, 1GB RAM, and 80GB hard drive. And I now enjoy the enormous capabilities of a Fantom-X8 and V-Synth. That's the upside to the technical explosion.

And bringing this ramble to a topical close, I balanced waiting, available funds, and need, and decided to jump in and purchase a V-Synth a few months ago. As I was in the middle of purchasing it at a local Guitar Center for a decent $1850, the sales person noted that the price JUST DROPPED to $1499. He credited me the difference and I walked out stunned. I am still amazed at the power, ease-of-use, flexibility, and features that are crammed into this synth. And as sure as I am that a V-Synth II is an inevitability, I am equally sure that it will not make my existing V any less useful.

Richard
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Yeah, good points there, Richard. Personally, I have only played the V-Synth a couple of times, but I was totally blown away by the synth. It was just so fun, and the interface was incredible - without doubt the easiest synth to manouver that I've ever used.

Where I feel the synth could be improved is in the effects department (the effectblocks are the same for the oscillators, if I'm not mistaken...?). Anyways, more effect-blocks are always welcome.
Plus it would be cool with upped polyphony, and better multitimbrality.
DodgingRain

Post by DodgingRain »

The v-synth really is version 2 already anyway, with the VP9000 being version 1.
I'd be suprised if we see another version before 2006, I hope we do see more cards however.