V-Synth and Midi w/realtime control capture

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
esbium

V-Synth and Midi w/realtime control capture

Post by esbium »

Here is what I want to do. I have a mc-303 (old I know!) and I want to play a v-synth patch using the arpeggiator of the mc-303 while using the d-beam and other controls to manipulate the sound. I know that the v-synth arpegg. is Awesome!! but.. I just wanted to try something new. The problem is, I can't use the controls to change the filter, etc. of the patch while playing it via the mc-303.

Any Ideas? Am I making sense?

BTW, Has anyone tried using the V-synth as a midi controller? I hooked it up to my laptop via usb and Whoa!! Latency is very bad.. What am I doing wrong here? (using FL Studio trying to control Imposcar vst synth)

Thanks for any help!!!

Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: V-Synth and Midi w/realtime control capture

Post by Artemiy »

By default, the V-Synth doesn't receive MIDI control changes because it's internal synth engine is quite not what a standard MIDI instrument is. You have to use Matrix Control to set certain CC to control the parameters you want.

You have to do the following:

1. Set the D-beam on 303 to transmit Cutoff CC#74.
2. Connect 303's MIDI out to V-Synth MIDI in (of course you know this ;-))
2. On the V-Synth, go to Matrix Control, and set CC#74 as a source, and destination to COSM1/2 Param 1 (select the COSM unit that is set to the filter you want to control) and then set depth to +30..+40.

This should work.

Artemio.
soundman

Re: Post subject

Post by soundman »

Hello,

I use the V-Synth as a controller for an analog monosynth
via midi-to-cv converter and latency isn't an issue.

Regards,

LWG
DodgingRain

Post by DodgingRain »

use mine as a controller via USB and no noticable latency here either
esbium

Post by esbium »

Thanks for your replies! I will try what you suggested Artemio and see if I can get it to work. I think it will work fine. (no d-beam on the 303 btw, which is too bad...).

As far as the latency issue with the midi via usb, is there any special setting I am missing in the v-synth or on my computer? I installed the usb/midi driver with no problems.

PC:
compaq laptop, 2.4ghz proc with 768mb ram. usb1.1

BTW, Is it better to run through a converter or straight from the USB jack for midi?

DodgingRain

Post by DodgingRain »

If your using it to control softsynths maybe the latency is comming from your sound card's drivers.