Midi control Messagees

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
The Sherriff

Midi control Messagees

Post by The Sherriff »

Any chance one of you very clever chaps can explain what to set up where for assigning control messages to knobs trip pad Etc.....

Particularly interested in being able to use modulation for rotary effect on organ type sounds to create that proper leslie effect which you can't do if the control can't be put in a position and held there (ie trip pad or assignable knobs !! ) I always find the manuals a little vague on these subjects unless you have a degree in maths to work out Hexidecimal code ????????? Simply examples for us beginners please (only been messing with type of things for 10 years...HA HA hA ) don't want my head to explode wading through 1000 page explanation of something that I'm sure someone can explain in couple of well thought out sentences.

cheers

the Sherriff

PS. Hope this makes sense been a long weekend.....
D70

Re: Midi control Messagees

Post by D70 »

Howdy, patch 206 was originaly an organ with rotary effects. So maybe you could tweak that?

The ctrl assignment is set at

patch, common, matrix ctrl.

Have a noodle around here

A little vauge I know, but its a start.

Oh now I get it, the Sherriff of Notingham, right?
The Sherriff

Post by The Sherriff »

Sherriff is actually my surname!!!!!!!! Ironic though as I do originally come from Nottingham!!!!!!! So you can guess how many gags i've heard about that one cheeers for the tip though i'll keep digging to see what makes sense.

Would still like some clear examples of this type of thing as it makes it much easier to apply to something else once you understand which parameter to mess with.

Definately more fun than messing with straight forward patches on any other alleged synth(Work station). Also trying to set up some killer patches that give me the immediate flexibility that i get from my SH09 for using live so personally i think the new upgrade should help immensely as soon as we can get it.

Cheers

the Sherriff
D70

Post by D70 »

Ok well I am going to try and avoid making any gags about men it tights etc

If you take a look at p34 of the Roland book the matrix is covered there to some degree.

Cheers for now <-------<<
alcyonemusic

Midi CC's

Post by alcyonemusic »

Hi folks... so I see that in the Common> Matrix Ctrl page there is a way to assign incoming midi controllers to various synth parameters - but does anyone know if there is a way to create global Midi control assignments?
I don't really want to have to set up complex Midi control assignments for every single patch!

It seems that most of the knobs (with the exception of the 2 assignable ones) do not transmit/receive Midi CC data, only sysex. If I want to draw a filter sweep in Cubase and have it work the synth will I have to set the matrix up for every patch? This is frustrating... I own a Korg MS2000 and there is one page to set up the MIDI transmit / receive of every knob on the machine regardless of patch settings!

A.
:)
D70

Post by D70 »

You can set up the default CC (mode,system, controller), but each patch would have to be set via matrix control to make sure the relevant parameter is set up.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The Sherriff

Post by The Sherriff »

Hi Artemio

Thanks for the help so far my main problem is still that i want to assign Modulation to a controller which can be moved to a set position and left there particularly for Organ patches for creating that proper rotary effect and being able to constantly readjust as well while playing as any good hammond player does. This is what i have been doing with my other gear for many years. I know you're going to suggest i use the rotary effect i the multi effects but this doesn't always give the subtle variation I want and it's not always the right thing for the particular sound. I'm still not exactly certain as to what to set the matrix controls to in order to recreate the same effect.

cheers the Sherriff
D70

Post by D70 »

Hi Mr Sherriff, do you have an organ patch built and you just want to modulate it or are you building a new patch?

I not sure if you really need to set up the matrix control as you want the modulation to be fixed and this could be set by the way the patch is built. (just read you want to tweak it while you play)

If you already have a patch built and you want to vary the amplitude of the sound then adjust LFO, but so much depends on how the patch is built.

When you are in the matrix screen press list,. At the bottom are Osc1,Osc2,Cosm1,Cosm2,Tva,Effect. To view all of the possible varibles in the Osc section you need to use the cursor control).

There are just so many possible ways of creating sounds with the V-Synth, I guess that is why we love it so

Off to enjoy the flu/cold
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

The Sherriff:

You can do this in two ways:

1. Assign rotary speed to one of the two assignable knobs
2. Assign this parameter to TTP in X/Y mode, and then use the HOLD button to keep the parameter at te last value.

A.
philicorda

Post by philicorda »

I got a good rotary effect by using the banjo and acoutic COSM models and using a sine LFO connected to the 'size' parameters.
I used the third structure each osc go through seperate COSM model and samples off my L100 for the basic tones.
You can assign the cosm LFO depths and speeds to the TT pad and put it on hold.
I also used two different draw bar settings for the two oscs, the brighter one going through the 'top' rotor made from the banjo model, and gets a bit louder on 'fast' leslie settings.
Use an amp/speaker sim for the master effect and it sounds pretty good.

I'll get round to uploading some patches sometime, promise!
The Sherriff

Post by The Sherriff »

Cheers Phil

I don't think i'd ever have thought of using the BANJO (ARGGGH!!!!!!) cosm i'll give it a go see if I can work it out. does sound like just what I'm after. I'm using samples from the native instruments B4 module at the moment and they sound well tasty. One little tweak I've found is if you use a cut off filter tweak the resonance and you brighten the top end as if your adding one of the small drawbars.

PS. Just used my Vsynth live for first time last night and scared eveyone silly!!!!!!! IT's an absolute monster for heavy funk and Jazz. Found the ease of using the assigned patches really good as well especially for a quick escape when inadvertently tweak all the settings too much to get back to original sound for Chorus.....

Now what was this button for and where did i leave that sound?????

cheers the Sherriff