Wavetables

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
csm

Wavetables

Post by csm »

Hi,

does anybody know were I can download short high quality wavetables wav's which I can use to make sounds in the VSynth?

Regards,

Martijn
nsheldon

Re: Wavetables

Post by nsheldon »

Hi Martijn.

Welcome to the forum.

Though the V-Synth does seem to support wavetable waveforms from internal sample ROM, the format is unpublished and no one has created multi-sample waveforms that will work with the V-Synth that I'm aware of. Perhaps Roland will add creation and support for user wavetable waveforms in a later OS release, but at this time, the OS does not support it.

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Actualy, I do not see anything impossible here, in the extent that you can import any WAVE/AIFF file, set time to ZERO and then use an envelope and/or LFO to "walk" through the sample, almost like the wavetable synths do.
nsheldon

Post by nsheldon »

Good point Artemio. :-)

Regards,

Nathan Sheldon
http://www.nathansheldon.com/
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Actually, today I tried this, and it works very well. So, for example, if you have some wavetable sweep sample, just select it for one the oscillators, then in the Time tab set the offset to ZERO, and Time LFO Depth to about +3..+5, and then set LFO Rate to 40..60 - you will see that you can sweep through the wavetable sample forth/back and use triangle, sine or trapezoid LFO to do this. Very cool!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

How about putting this in the 'tips section'? :)
grimleyj

Post by grimleyj »

So anyone know if you can download the waldorf wavetables from the net?
soundman

Re: Post Subject

Post by soundman »

"does anybody know were I can download short high quality wavetables wav's which I can use to make sounds in the VSynth?"

Hello,

There are sites with files pertaining to the Waldorf and PPG machines however, none that I know of that offer wavetable samples that are in a wav format. Also these waves are 8-bit,
and when used as second-generation samples can produce a significant amount of aliasing in the higher octaves of the host machine's keyboard.
The V-Synth's internal engine will yield sounds that can be
reminiscent of wavetable synthesis (and hats off to Artemio for adding techniques that tap into this) however, a wavetable synth engine does something considerably different.
When the V-Synth plays a loop wave with multiple segments like the D50 loops, it scans the segments backward or forward, slowly or quickly, as they are.
With a wavetable synth, it takes two or more waves and interpolates between them. For example, if you have a sample referenced to table location 1, and another to location 5, the engine calculates waves 2, 3, and 4 as transition waves between 1 and 5, with appropriate harmonic content.
When done with a powerful enough engine, the transitions between the waves can be smooth and close to seamless.
Although the V-Synth will do some decent sounds that remind one of Korg Wavestaion-type patches (through formant/time shifting, and other techniques), It would be nice to see Roland produce this type of synthesis on a VC card. The processing thats required to do smooth interpolation between separate wav files referenced in a table may be best done on a dedicated card.

Regards,

LWG (aka Lawrence)
SoftRoom_

Wavetables

Post by SoftRoom_ »

Just to follow on: the interpolation isn't a real-time thing, it's done when the wavetable is calculated, based on its current population of waves. The more free slots you leave, the smoother the interpolation. With lots of waves with different harmonic content you get some very cool glitchiness.
The Wavestation's method is very different - for example it can do volume crossfades between waves in its wavesequencing but this doesn't sound the same (still cool though).
For the smoothest, coolest wavetable implementation yet, I suspect you'll have to wait for the new Virus TI.

Personally I thought some of the V-Synth version 1 waves were particularly well-suited to wavetable impersonations. Some of those weird D50 loops could attain fascinating Wavestation/Waldorf sounds under "Robot Voice" control followed by velocity/envelope/LFO sweeps of the time.

Paul
anti_pulse

Post by anti_pulse »

go to analoguesamples.com... I've downloaded a few off of there.

Well I'll be your huckleberry....
SuperJX

Post by SuperJX »

There's also a great site that Paul Maddox built for the PPG mailing list that has a dump of waveterm samples. Go to http://www.ppg.synth.net/download.shtml and pull down the zip file under "Waveterm Library" for 416 wav files!

You might find some others if you do a search for Wave 2.v plugin users.

John
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

Artemiy wrote:Actually, today I tried this, and it works very well. So, for example, if you have some wavetable sweep sample, just select it for one the oscillators, then in the Time tab set the offset to ZERO, and Time LFO Depth to about +3..+5, and then set LFO Rate to 40..60 - you will see that you can sweep through the wavetable sample forth/back and use triangle, sine or trapezoid LFO to do this. Very cool!
I have to try this when I get home.

I'm not sure how you'd tell it at what point to start the time from - maybe it just starts from the start of the wave every time you go to that patch?

I was always annoyed that you couldn't modulate the start point of a wave sample on the v-synth, but this could be a usable workaround.

The V-Synth is really a flexible synth.
robotunes

Post by robotunes »

daX6fantom wrote:I'm not sure how you'd tell it at what point to start the time from.
on the osc1 or osc2 page, play with the sample start parameter. hold down shift and spin the value dial to advance 1,000 samples at a time. as you do, play the keyboard to hear what sound would emerge if you left the sample start parameter at the current position.

sounds more complicated than it is.

wish roland had:
* made the sample start modulatable via the mod matrix
* let us use the keypad to type in a sample start number

still love this thing though!
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

Yes I also wish that sample start time was modulatable. That's what I meant. Seems like an opportunity missed there.

Someone posted in another thread that if you hold down shift and enter numbers, you can directly enter the start sample time. I haven't tried it yet though.

The V-Synth is certainly very flexible. You can get almost anything out of it if you are prepared to work a bit.
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

This is the post about using the numeric keys:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50423