VC cards loader

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
BirdFLU

Re: VC cards loader

Post by BirdFLU »

Yeah it is pretty rare for promised future expansions to actually materialize. I never buy a product based on what it might be in the future.
dysamoria

i have learned a similar lesson

Post by dysamoria »

i have learned a similar lesson... not to buy based on future "declarations" about a product. Alesis Fusion (no new updates since the last bug fix despite claims of being expandable with new synthesizer models with future OS updates), MultiSound Pinnacle Studio sound card (old days, patch editor was released more than a year, maybe two years, after the product was sold), Sound Blaster X-Fi (does NOT work as advertized on Vista), etc...

i suppose, though, we can be thankful that Roland DID update the V-Synth XT to version 2. They didn't HAVE to do it (seeing as these companies can pull out of ALL "forward looking statements" whenever they feel like it), but they did do the update. It's just too bad they wont add any of the smaller updates from the new GT instrument. Also, i see that Access is updating the Virus TI line OS again, adding new features again, so i am very pleased with that since i own one (bought it based on seeing all the updates and support of the product they've shown since releasing it) and i really should start using it ;) (and i should really start using my V-Synth XT more!!)
i-loops

Post by i-loops »

Same lesson learned here.

Wasn't something I expected from Roland and their support in the UK was found to be distinctly lacking and unhelpful - Cards are discontinued, can't source from elsewhere, case closed... lol.

What is more frustrating is seeing that the VC-1 card is at least still available in the states, but unfortunately none of the stores I contacted were able to sell Roland gear direct to the UK :-(
LoS

Post by LoS »

The Korg Oasis is about the only device I know of that actually gets updated and expanded...

One simple bit of software that would make the VariOS a "new" machine again:
- take the FX from V-Producer and rout the line in through these.

:)
zakala

Similar experience

Post by zakala »

I found Roland pretty unhelpful in sourcing VC1 cards and I actually know the head of their education department.

I've now managed to find one S/H (came with a free VariOS LOL) but the vendor had lost the CDs. Not a problem I thought until I discovered that the Vsynth version of the binary wasn't on the card...

Hoping Roland at least will be willing to sell me a copy of the CD.
gregae

Post by gregae »

>

FWIW, the operating systems in Moog's Voyager and Little Phatty synths get updated fairly regularly, adding new features and expanding user functionality. Moog does a very good job taking care of it's user base in this regard.

(I know that these mono analog synths may not be everyone's 'cup of tea', but for those of us who use and love that genuine analog sound, nothing else comes close.)
granto

Post by granto »

Artemiy wrote: But anyway, even if you make a 100% binary copy of a VC card, it won't boot. There is something special in the card hardware itself.
Hi Artemiy, just curious-- are you sure about this? Are you sure that for whoever tried this the formatting and card specs were correct? Any other hints? I want to backup my VC-1 in case it crashes.