V-Synth Multi-Sampling

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards

V-Synth Multi-Sampling

Post by 23 »

This probably has been covered before, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.
Despite lacking true multi samping capability, it can be emulated on the V-Synth.

In the event that tone Zones are not being utilized; USE THEM. For every new sample that you desire to use, create a new zone for the tone that utilizes. Make the new tone a copy of the base tone, and swap out the PCM waveforms they contain as necessary.

It's a very crude way of mimicing a multi-sample set, and doesn't hit into allowing for velocity cross fades and such, but it does present what may often be a workable solution.

*unfortunately for GT owners, the fact that there is no Tone Copy feature can potentially make this type of action a very long and tedious process*
philicorda

Re: V-Synth Multi-Sampling

Post by philicorda »

There is another way too, if you want 88 or more sample zones.

To multisample a piano, sample a chromatic scale, starting at middle C. Leave a little gap between each note.

Then encode it as 'solo'. There should be a hit point at the start of each note. You might have to edit a few hit points if there are too many, or in the wrong places.

Then make a new sound, put the piano scale sample in osc1 and set playback to 'event'. Set pitch scaling of the osc to 0%. Variphrase can be either on or off. Formant shifting on single piano notes encoded 'solo' does some great things. :)

This maps the sampled notes chromatically from middle C, and you have a multisampled piano! There are some limitations to this method, like you need each note to be 10 seconds or so, as there is no looping in 'event' playback, so you end up using all the sample memory. So, multiple zones like you say often works better.

To do it properly, I guess it would be good to sample the bass end as another zone, and make two velocity layers from the two oscs in each zone. I will get round to it some day. :)

Post by 23 »

You know, the time creating the damn thing will be annoying, but I do believe I find the whole idea of a solo encoded V-Synth piano to yield some damn crazy capabilities.
Gonna have to play with this.

Granted, there's other means for a multi-sampled piano that I believe would call on far less than sampling every single key on a piano.

Cheers to ya for the idea/concept though.
EXer

Post by EXer »

You can map up to 60 samples across the keyboard with a Rhythm Set.

1 Rhythm Set = 5 patches mapped upon the C2, C3, C4, C5 and C6 octaves, respectly.

If you define 12 zones for each patch (a sample for each note whithin the octave the patch is mapped to in the rhythm set), you have 5*12 samples.
initvoice

Post by initvoice »

If I'm correct this only way of programming still only holds true for the V-Synth XT series, not so for the V-Synth GT 2.0 version. If read correct this also is the main difference between OS 1.x and 2.0, the Rhythm Sets are goner.

Regarding this, how DO I edit presets like the factory it 088: Analogic Kit. I can't track down the samples, mapping or anything, it just seems to sit there, how can e.g. the snare be changed?

Trying to figure out the best way to do some multisampling / best way to 'sample map' within its power.
Quinnx.

Post by Quinnx. »

I had the GT for a short period when it was release.. and Maaannn it was a pain to program so i got rid of it and kept my XT and V2.0 way more flexible. but yeah zones are the way to go. and the great thing about zones is each one is it own independent synth and as far as editing the drum kit.. it exactly the same as editing any zone in any patch.. except the the presets zones are internal sounds not physical samples that can be exported. You can swap em for any other internal sample sounds or your own custom ones as with any other patch.