Original V-synth is Multitimbral right?

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
Diametro

Re: Original V-synth is Multitimbral right?

Post by Diametro »

It's "multitimbral" ... but all parts share the same effects ... There are other big limitations like not being able to save these "multitimbral" setups as "Performances" like on Fantom ...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I would, frankly, not recommend using this feature. V-Synth's polyphony is not enough to handle multiple parts, you will constantly have notes dropping out. And, like Diametro said, all parts on channels 2...16 will have the same effects settings as part 1.

What I do is record each part as an audio track into my DAW. This way, there are no such limitations on polyphony or effects.
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

I wonder where Roland is going to take the V-Synth after GT ... ???

I'd still love to see some kind of merging of the V and Fabtom ...
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Like Art said, the V-Synth is not suited to be used as a multitimbral Sound source, because of the polyphony and having only one Effects section, it is rather limmited, but, in my partuicular case, I use 2 parts together almost all the time, triggered by the same MIDI channel or not, depending on what I need.
As I control my V-Synth from a PCR-500 MIDI controller, as it is capable of controlling 2 simultaneous channels, if we choose 2 parts with similar Effects, we could create very interesting sounds (provided we don't use too much COSM or we don't play too many notes at the same time). It's a trade off.

Take care
mister ludo

Post by mister ludo »

also, another limitation with this kind of performances is : Step mod and arp,..which aren"t designed to be polyphonic.

By the way, you can trigger really easiy 2 parts at the same times with the board by assigning them both to channel 1 (it may be another depending on you settings).

that manner its great to layer a multi sampled/zone piano with pads or strings,... let us say,...traditionnal way ;-)

bu my prefered way of using this,..is to make "noodles",...self playing performances like on my nord modular,... its really cool,..because,..you often use 1 note at a time for that kind of music,... so there is plenty of polyphony to add other parts -> then sampling everything with the v synth itself,..and playing again with variphrase and cosm's stuffes,...

-> that way the v synth is a real killer!
toddADSR

Post by toddADSR »

Being new to the V-Synth, there's something I still don't understand about it using it as multitibral. Despite reading the appropraite sections in the manual several times, I can't tell if this is a limitation of the V-Synth or if I'm doing something wrong, but say I want to tweak/edit the sound assigned to part 2, when I flip to that patch it changes what patch is playing and assigned to part 1. Anybody help? Thanks!
mister ludo

Post by mister ludo »

the bad thing about mutlitimbral v synth, is that there is no "performance mode", like on fantom series.

So if you want to tweak part 2,.... you have to do it within 2 times.

let us say part I is patch 114 "piano" and part II is patch 230 "string"

if you want to play them together, you put part I on midi channel 1 and so for part II.

1) if you scroll from patch to patch, you will only be able to access the part I,..but
if within part I you go to patch 230 "string",... you will ear part I and part II as string patch layered,

2) so if you change something on patceh 230 ,.... it will change both part I and II, and your strings is tweaked as you want,

when it's done,..just scroll again to patch 110, piano,... and now you setup will be
part I piano and part II, strings,...modified

got it?
mister ludo

Post by mister ludo »

the bad thing about mutlitimbral v synth, is that there is no "performance mode", like on fantom series.

So if you want to tweak part 2,.... you have to do it within 2 times.

let us say part I is patch 114 "piano" and part II is patch 230 "string"

if you want to play them together, you put part I on midi channel 1 and so for part II.

1) if you scroll from patch to patch, you will only be able to access the part I,..but
if within part I you go to patch 230 "string",... you will ear part I and part II as string patch layered,

2) so if you change something on patceh 230 ,.... it will change both part I and II, and your strings is tweaked as you want,

when it's done,..just scroll again to patch 110, piano,... and now you setup will be
part I piano and part II, strings,...modified

got it?
Rattus Norvegicus

Post by Rattus Norvegicus »

@ mister ludo:

sorry for my english (i'm italian). I need help in splitting keyboard in two or more parts.
I read the manual several times but i'm not able to split !!
When i select "zone", i split in two parts the keyboard and i choose a sound for the first part. When i go to select the sound for the second part, after choosing a second sound, the "editing" mode go away.
Please, if you can, help me step by step in this procedure.
Many many tanks !!!
Giacomo from Italy.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Rattus, when you're in the zone screen you are working with zones within a single patch. What you can do here is create a new patch, then use the tone copy feature to copy to copy zone 1 from one patch to zone 1 of your patch, then copy zone 1 from another patch to zone 2 of your patch. And then you split them.
Rattus Norvegicus

Post by Rattus Norvegicus »

@Artemiy:
thank you very much. I solved this problem in a moment.
I think the italian tralslation of the manual is not so accurate.....

Thanks !!!!
TheMvuser

Post by TheMvuser »

Hi.

at the risk of repeating anything anyone has already mention.

the simplest way to do Multi on the V-synth is as follows.

under Menu (top right) choose info. <---resides the 16 channels.
Mode / system / Part Midi. <---- The channels midi - reception activation.
I suggest, initializing patch 1 and patch 512. use any of these for a Master Muti FX.

I would just put in a basic well set up compressor, personally and switch OFF the Reverb & Chorus.
Dial down their FX level outputs to Zero. This is because ALL the other patches in the Multi will have routings
to the FX. This will cause more failures (sonically) than successes. SO a well set up comp will help Glue the Multi's
Together.

Set up this patch With Nothing going on in it and save it to 1 or 512 or both. Call it Master FX.

Also, it is a good idea to use the Preview button to set up quick access to the same sounds in the Multi.
ok now... every-time you want to edit one of the sounds in the Multi you will have to call it up on the Screen.
Remember: the Screen ONLY shows what is in (Part One in the Multi) NO OTHER part can be represented ON the screen.

so... as an example...
On the Screen is the Master FX and this is in Part One of the Multi and it receives on Midi Channel one for Part one.
Remember this Patch is just setting up the FX system and has a compressor to Glue all the Multi parts together.
so... say you want to edit part 2.
Hit Preview to call up the patch Part 2 which is on Midi Channel 2 in the Multi.
The problem you will have here is that the FX assigned to this particular patch will now kick in.
you could switch them all OFF. That would be quickest.. or you could then copy the compressor MFX out of patch 1 or 512.

ok, you edit the patch.. Then... save it by - Menu / PATCH Write...
now switch back to patch 1 or 512 for the Project FX Compressor Glue patch and go into Menu / Info.
The last thing you need to do is increment and decrement the patch on part 2 / channel 2 so the system picks up the changes in the Multi.

That's as simple as it can be.

The only other simpler thing you can do is, to re-program every single patch with the same Glue compressor.
It is tiresome but it actually saves a lot of time in the long run if you are a heavy Multi patch user.
Also, you could set up the first 16 patch locations to ONLY ever contain the sounds you put in there.
You can also think to do this for the first 16 patches in ALL 5 hundreds banks. so these 1st 16 locations are ALWAYS empty.
there you can put adaptations of your main 16 multi patches..

you could also just use the First Hundreds bank to take 5 sets of sixteen. e.g. 1 to 16 ... 21 to 36 ... 41 to 46.
Then you could have a part in a DAW which sent out patch changes to do the Multi update instead of you doing it.
That would be useful for when you have just altered a patch as in above. If you think about it, it will do the tedious parts for you.

you really should get a PCMIA converter and a 512MEG or so, SD card. it makes it so much simpler.

also remember, the Arpeggio and Step Mods only work on part one too.

Hope this helps.

TheMvuser
juemon

Post by juemon »

Hi, I have been struggling to do some kind of multitimbral sequencing on V-Synth using DP6 and I am starting to see its limitation. Your posting seems most thorough, but I get stuck on the first step of your explanation. Which "menu" button? When I press on the physical "menu" button, it only gives me two options: System Write and System Init.
Then...do you mean on the touch screen? If so, in which mode are you starting in?
I know this is so basic, but your pointer would be so helpful. Thanks in advance!
juemon

Post by juemon »

Sorry never mind my recent question. I realize the multitimbral feature is completely gone from GT :( I guess I will sequence the audio one track at a time.
Joe-Trojan

Post by Joe-Trojan »

How would a V-Synth go with two patches running, one using the FX through the main outputs, the other patch running out the second stereo pair with no fx applied? is this possible at all?