How to change the LCD and touch pannel of a V synth XT

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
kineticsoundprism

Re: How to change the LCD and touch pannel of a V synth XT

Post by kineticsoundprism »

Hi and does anyone have a link to a working touch screen replacement for the xt ?, ive basically tried 3 different types now off ebay all identical to the recommended replacements on the threads on the forum here and its been fitted correctly each time and still no luck with getting a working replacement that responds to touch, i had the classic problem of the vsynth xt needing to warm up before it would respond at all to touch and then slowly failure and thats in normal room temperatures and moisture so its obviously a major design flaw .

I read a few people failed to repair this via the cheap ebay touch screen replacement and i am wondering if there is some specific reason for this or if another part in the vsynths fails causing this as i am pretty sure all 3 touch screens were installed fine i tried and the correct way up ribbon wise .

Did anyone else hit this brick wall ? dont really want to spend £350 on a new lcd when thats working fine

last request is if anyone can recommend a uk repair guy that works on Roland gear as i get the feeling this could be more than just touchscreen problems some people are having ?
vsynthgtguy

Post by vsynthgtguy »

kineticsoundprism wrote:Hi and does anyone have a link to a working touch screen replacement for the xt ?, ive basically tried 3 different types now off ebay all identical to the recommended replacements on the threads on the forum here and its been fitted correctly each time and still no luck with getting a working replacement that responds to touch, i had the classic problem of the vsynth xt needing to warm up before it would respond at all to touch and then slowly failure and thats in normal room temperatures and moisture so its obviously a major design flaw .

I read a few people failed to repair this via the cheap ebay touch screen replacement and i am wondering if there is some specific reason for this or if another part in the vsynths fails causing this as i am pretty sure all 3 touch screens were installed fine i tried and the correct way up ribbon wise .

Did anyone else hit this brick wall ? dont really want to spend £350 on a new lcd when thats working fine

last request is if anyone can recommend a uk repair guy that works on Roland gear as i get the feeling this could be more than just touchscreen problems some people are having ?
Unfortunately I've run into the exact same problem you have. I tried three different screens from eBay, all with the same specs, without any success. If you figure out which screen to order/which one works, please let me know so I can purchase it, too. You can go back through this thread and see my previous posts, as well; maybe the suggestions provided by other users on those posts can help you with your issue where they did not help me. Thanks!
kineticsoundprism

vsynthgtguy wrote:
kineticsoundprism wrote:Hi and does anyone have a link to a working touch screen replacement for the xt ?, ive basically tried 3 different types now off ebay all identical to the recommended replacements on the threads on the forum here and its been fitted correctly each time and still no luck with getting a working replacement that responds to touch, i had the classic problem of the vsynth xt needing to warm up before it would respond at all to touch and then slowly failure and thats in normal room temperatures and moisture so its obviously a major design flaw .

Unfortunately I've run into the exact same problem you have. I tried three different screens from eBay, all with the same specs, without any success. If you figure out which screen to order/which one works, please let me know so I can purchase it, too. You can go back through this thread and see my previous posts, as well; maybe the suggestions provided by other users on those posts can help you with your issue where they did not help me. Thanks!
cheers for the reply , from what i can gather the actual touchscreen tech is very straight forward and i am feeling this must be some other failed part of the synth , possibly connector or something , i dont think the screens the issue , wondering why Roland insist on replacing the entire lcd also for £350 instead of £7 when the lcd is fine in mine , seems odd , or maybe just good Parasitic business thinking
kineticsoundprism

ok so solved the problem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Touch-Scr ... SwcUBYIEb0

having tried already all the ones recommended here all failed to work accept the one i just listed above.

The main difference is i bought one that actually mentions its for a synth ( Korg ) the specs seemed the same , Not all Generic touch panels work off ebay even if they are the correct size and pin count etc , somethings not matching up , the one above works with a vsynth xt 100% the 5 before with exact same specs did not........

If you need to replace a touchscreen on an xt you need the one linked to above.
darthangel

Post by darthangel »

Hi kineticsoundprism,

Do you know if the panel you bought is compatible with V-Synth GT 2.0?

Thanks,
beefpoweredcars

Post by beefpoweredcars »

After trying to put in a touchscreen that didn't work at all, I tried to order the screen linked above, but it does not ship to USA. This one worked for me and it ships to the USA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121945959657

Here's the thing though... The new touchscreen works, but it seems less responsive than the one that comes standard in the XT. For instance, when using the touchscreen for the "Time trip" function, the responsiveness is totally unusable and does not register any kind of dynamic or sliding touch --> it won't track finger movements while pressed and held against the screen. It works okay for normal functions, like pressing and selecting tabs, buttons and fields to edit, but anything beyond that, it is very sluggish and not as responsive. Is this true for anyone else?
vsynthgtguy

Post by vsynthgtguy »

beefpoweredcars wrote:After trying to put in a touchscreen that didn't work at all, I tried to order the screen linked above, but it does not ship to USA. This one worked for me and it ships to the USA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121945959657

Here's the thing though... The new touchscreen works, but it seems less responsive than the one that comes standard in the XT. For instance, when using the touchscreen for the "Time trip" function, the responsiveness is totally unusable and does not register any kind of dynamic or sliding touch --> it won't track finger movements while pressed and held against the screen. It works okay for normal functions, like pressing and selecting tabs, buttons and fields to edit, but anything beyond that, it is very sluggish and not as responsive. Is this true for anyone else?
Hey beef. I just ordered that screen and will install it when it arrives. I'll let you know how the responsiveness is (if I can get it to work). :)
Dark_Element

Post by Dark_Element »

Was the responsive question ever answered? Very curious about knowing how to fix this problem.
Thanks!!
abasicillness

Post by abasicillness »

Ok so problem solved

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Touch-Scr ... SwcUBYIEb0

having tried already all the ones recommended here all failed to work accept the one i just listed above.

The main difference is i bought one that actually mentions its for a synth ( Korg ) the specs seemed the same , Not all Generic touch panels work off ebay even if they are the correct size and pin count etc , somethings not matching up , the one above works with a vsynth xt 100% the 5 before with exact same specs did not........

If you need to replace a touchscreen on an xt you need the one linked to above.
[/quote]
Ang

Post by Ang »

Hi! I've an issue with the touch display of my vsynth gt v2. It seems a problem very diffused. Yesterday i' Ve tried tò change patch selection and notes something was going bad. No selection was possibile and Even trying to access tò the system display was difficult. Even trying to calibrate was very hard. I've made a factory reset and tried tò recalibrate again. The selection down on the left Is not possibile and a vertical Red line it'showed on the left like of not possibile tò complete the calibration. At this time we're experiencing a very hot and humid weather (75%) umidity and Even the synth Is covered very well.maybe this affected something insider. I should wait some day but in the meantime I've requested Infos to a Roland maintenance Lab, but i would like tò ask Who already made It, if the problem usually Is connected Just tò the external glass of the touchscreen or tò the LCD too, in order to Better understand the replay by the Lab. Hope someone still follows this post. Thks for help.

Update: todayI made a system test as suggested in an another post and vsynth response was good. Touvh is working good. Humidity maybe the cause? Pls adv if someone had some similar situation. Thks
studio460

Re: How to change the LCD and touch-panel of a V-Synth GT:

Post by studio460 »

Just another data-point to add to the thread for the GT:

My V-Synth GT was also acting up: The touchscreen was unresponsive and/or missed its target (the display itself was fine). With a LOT of trying, I finally was able to access the calibration-screen. Calibrated, but still unresponsive or missing its target. I think I cleaned the screen and then it worked for a while but then the problem reoccurred.

So, I stored the keyboard under my bed for like two years? I just took it out, dusted the screen off with a Swiffer-wand, and voila—it works! But, as I recall from the initial failure, the screen would work for a few minutes (or a few hours), then eventually exhibited the same failure. I've only had the synth on for a few minutes now, and everything is still working. So, fingers crossed . . .

Note: I live near the beach in SoCal, but not so near that humidity would be an issue. Ambient temperature here is moderate throughout the year as well. I have no know idea why my screen failed and then decided to suddenly work (at least for the moment).