v-synth xt Midi out sequencing Andromeda

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
carlomanil

v-synth xt Midi out sequencing Andromeda

Post by carlomanil »

Hi, I am new here and have the following problem : I can't use the V-synth (xt) arpeggiator to play my Andromeda (which own sequencer is not easy to handle). No Midi output seems to get out from the V-synth Midi Out I connected the A6 to. Is it possible at all anyway ? If so, can anybody give me a clue on what to do ? Many thanks :) Carlomanil
PauloF

Re: v-synth xt Midi out sequencing Andromeda

Post by PauloF »

carlomanil wrote:Hi, I am new here and have the following problem : I can't use the V-synth (xt) arpeggiator to play my Andromeda (which own sequencer is not easy to handle). No Midi output seems to get out from the V-synth Midi Out I connected the A6 to. Is it possible at all anyway ? If so, can anybody give me a clue on what to do ? Many thanks :) Carlomanil
Ciao Carlomanil,

Do you want to drive your Andromeda from the V-Synth XT's MIDI out, using the V-Synth's Arpeggiator as a kind of sequencer? is that it?

Paulo
Barely

Post by Barely »

carlomanil wrote:Hi, I am new here and have the following problem : I can't use the V-synth (xt) arpeggiator to play my Andromeda (which own sequencer is not easy to handle). No Midi output seems to get out from the V-synth Midi Out I connected the A6 to. Is it possible at all anyway ? If so, can anybody give me a clue on what to do ? Many thanks :) Carlomanil
Hi there and welcome?
Simple and silly question: did you actually switch on the arpeggiator? That's what I forgot once, and I wondered why only the key presses, but no arp came out of that thing :) Do you have a midi monitor on your computer (like snoize.com midi monitor on the mac)? Does it receive arpeggiated data?
Good luck!
Barely.

P.S.: V-Synth and Andromeda.... mmmmmmmh! :)
carlomanil

Post by carlomanil »

Hi Barely,
I actually did not forget this... and the computer (Cubase) doesn't receive date from the v synth. I have had this one only for a month, but the marriage is indeed appealing !
Thanks for the help,
Carlomanil
carlomanil

Post by carlomanil »

Hi Paulo from Lisboa,
Yes, that's it, you get my pb right.
thanks for the attention, Carlomanil
Barely

Post by Barely »

carlomanil wrote:Hi Barely,
I actually did not forget this... and the computer (Cubase) doesn't receive date from the v synth. I have had this one only for a month, but the marriage is indeed appealing !
Thanks for the help,
Carlomanil
Oh, well then I suppose you have Midi over Midi cable? Weird, that should work. Do you have the same midi channel set on both devices?

If you have Midi over USB, then check
mode/System/ Midi USB tab, USB Setup and check if USB mode is set to "midi" not "storage".
You might want to undo that when swapping files to and from the V-Synth.

Check mode/System/ controller tab / Tx that your v-synth is sending on the right channel. (Rx) is good, it means it's the same channel it receives, which can be seen here:
The receive channel is under system / Part Midi, and the first (upper left) patch should be 1. So in this case, receive and Transmit is "1". That means I transmit and receive on channel one.
Which is exactly the channel you'll have to set your Andromeda to.

If you want to send midi data from your V-synth over USB through your DAW to your Andromeda, you might need to have the channel strip selected in which midi data are sent to your Andromeda. In Logic, this is done by clicking on the channel strip.

Hope I could help a little...
Cheers,
Barely.
Dimitry

Post by Dimitry »

There in NOT Midi out from V-synth XT arpeggiator unfortunately.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

carlomanil wrote:Hi Paulo from Lisboa,
Hi Carlomanil,
That is exactly as Dimitry says... unfortunately, the XT's Arpeggiator doesn't generate MIDI messages :-(

The Fantoms do it, but the V-Synth doesn't
Barely

Post by Barely »

PauloF wrote:
Hi Carlomanil,
That is exactly as Dimitry says... unfortunately, the XT's Arpeggiator doesn't generate MIDI messages :-(

Then probably only the XT doesn't, because my V-Synth 2.0 does transmit arpeggiator notes.
Sorry for the confusion! ;)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Barely wrote:
PauloF wrote:
Hi Carlomanil,

Then probably only the XT doesn't, because my V-Synth 2.0 does transmit arpeggiator notes.
Sorry for the confusion! ;)
Unless my XT is broken, it doesn't output ARPs via MIDI. I've inclusively looked to the manual, and couldn't find any reference to it...

If your V-Synth 2.0 does, well...they are really different on that!
antoinesleepinpillow

Post by antoinesleepinpillow »

i have a v synth xt and i want to synch it with an external device, but - this the point where the question becomes silly - the midi in of the v synth xt is used by my midi keyboard, how can i connect the device that produces the midi clock, any suggestions please!
Barely

Post by Barely »

antoinesleepinpillow wrote:i have a v synth xt and i want to synch it with an external device, but - this the point where the question becomes silly - the midi in of the v synth xt is used by my midi keyboard, how can i connect the device that produces the midi clock, any suggestions please!
That's not a silly question, and a common problem with midi.
If you are very lucky, your master keyboard has a "soft through" option that merges data from Midi-IN at your Master KB with the things you play on your Master KB. Maybe your external midi clock device has the function, then you would need to route your Master KB through your midi clock device (I suppose it's a drum machine?)
If not, you need a Midi Merge box. As the name says it, with that you can merge 2 midi signals into one. I know that Kenton and Midi Solutions both offer such boxes. Plug in your midi clock in one, the master KB in the other port and send it to the XT.
Hope I could help a little ;)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

MyJuliet wrote:I have AV synthesis XT, I would like to synchronize with external devices, but - this becomes the point of stupidity - the V synthesis XT MIDI is my MIDI keyboard, how do I connect the device can generate MIDI clock
Can you be more specific on what board you're using as you say that "the V synthesis XT MIDI is my MIDI keyboard", the V-Synth XT is a rack option ( no keyboard), so I believe you are referring to a different board...which one? The original V-Synth ? The V-Synth GT ?
Please clarify
Cheers
Barely

Post by Barely »

MyJuliet wrote:I have AV synthesis XT, I would like to synchronize with external devices, but - this becomes the point of stupidity - the V synthesis XT MIDI is my MIDI keyboard, how do I connect the device can generate MIDI clock
Apart from the things that PauloF said,

Midi is a one-way street:
MASTER OUT -----> IN Slave (V-Synth XT) THROUGH ----- > IN Slave 2 ----- > Slave 3 etc.

So you can only send the Midi clock one way.

the MASTER can be your Midi Keyboard (with black + white keys teehee), or a sequencer / drum machine , like your Computer running a DAW, an MPC, Electribe, whatever.

Which is the name of the device that sends the midi clock?
If it's a MPC (just for the fun of it):
MPC Midi out -> XT Midi IN.
seth both devices to the same midi channel (default=1).
Make the MPC send midi clock over MIDI
On the V-Synth XT, press the "mode" button. Tap "System" on the screen, then the "Midi USB" tab.
Set "clock source" to EXTERNAL. The V-Synth arpeggiators should be in sync with the MPC-generated clock.
If that doesn't work, tap the "part midi" tab and check if at Part1, the switch is "on" and rx ch is 1 (or the channel your MPC sends from)

Apart from that, it would be great to know which device it is (brand name and model) that you want the midi clock generated with. Maybe a user of this forum has this device and can help you further.

And please tell us which devices you want to connect.
It would also be interesting to know if you work with a computer and DAW (Sequencer) or not.
Until then,
good luck ;)
carlomanil

Post by carlomanil »

thank you PauloF and Barely for all replies, and time spent on that seemingly impossible issue. I'll have to find another easy to handle Andromeda arpeggiator from a keyboard. :-) Carlomanil