V-Synth XT Screen Sticking

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
dysamoria

V-Synth XT Screen Sticking

Post by dysamoria »

Has anyone had problems with the V-Synth screen behaving as if it's being touched when it's not? I powered on my XT about an hour ago to find the screen won't respond. I thought maybe it was moisture under the film from a window I have open trying to cool the house in the evening (when I turned it on, the metal case was cool but no condensation was apparent). After examining the screen a bit, I noticed (when whiting/blacking out the screen with the contrast adjust) that there's a movable rainbow blob under the film. It's very subtle. If I move my fingers around on the screen, I can get it to move and distribute or consolidate the blob. Tapping gently all over the screen a bit got some random presses and the Exit button in the bottom right corner sticks on. I'm assuming the rainbow blob is the touch film sticking to the glass/plastic layer below, causing false connection. I'm also assuming this is caused by humidity.

Has anyone here had this problem before? Will it return to normal? I have a Korg M3 and there are many users who've had weird issues with their own touch screens (same touch technology, resistive touch screen), and some have found that leaving the unit powered on and upside down(!!) for many hours will cure it (till it happens again). So, in leu of any other ideas, I'm trying that. I don't know if gravity or moisture or both are issues. I've never had problems with my Zodiac's resistive touch screen but maybe they get less reliable as they get larger (sagging??).

Any thoughts? Obviously the V-Synth is dependent on the screen to function. I don't know what I'll do if the screen doesn't come back to life because I'm extremely poor.
2:43AM

Re: V-Synth XT Screen Sticking

Post by 2:43AM »

In most cases, a "rainbow blob" is a cracked LCD. Did something hit it?
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

No, I baby my stuff, and it's not that kind of rainbow blob. I'm familiar with cracked LCD and this isn't that. There's no image degradation at all. The blob is very hard to see (you need to specifically get a highlight reflection from a light, to see it EDIT: but it's pretty noticeable when the unit is off, depending on angle of incidence of light reflecting on it) & it's inside the digitizer films. (EDIT: It's clearly a bubble of some kind) I wouldn't even know it was a problem by seeing it except its position seems to affect the phantom touching.

It had been working almost acceptably by the end of the day last time (when I posted my original message), and since then got an air conditioner going in the room (been going from 4pm to 10pm & it's acceptable in here) but I just checked it out right now and the touch aspect of the screen is back to being useless.

I'm very upset about this. I love this synth & I was starting to learn programming it. I'm a poor person on disability these days. I can't afford to spend $600 for a repair. I'm not very good with my hands any more and the idea of doing the repair myself is terrifying, especially since I don't know where to get the parts from in the USA & after reading the thread here about possible DIY replacement, reading about how delicate the parts are & how the digitizer is attached to the LCD...

:_(
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

It's very similar to this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=293311
Here's an extreme case: http://zeusville.wordpress.com/2009/08/ ... n-problem/

i've moved the unit into a room that's cooled more and maybe more dry to see if it will evaporate. It might get worse first, since the cooling is more extreme. i even opened the little access panel on the bottom to see if putting pressure on the LCD assembly would affect it, but it doesn't, as far as i'm able to tell. (what's that access panel really for, anyway??)
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

Here's my screen: http://dysamoria.com/content/v-synth_screen_blob.jpg

It's not visible when the unit is powered on. The screen LOOKS fine.

Has ANYONE had this problem??
philicorda

Post by philicorda »

I've had a v-synth and a v-synth GT, which have had their screens treated fairly badly. They had water on the screens sometimes. Neither screen became faulty like that. I'm afraid it sounds like your touchscreen is probably broken.

If it is water, then using a dehumidifier and dessicant in a sealed room for a week might do something. Have you checked that the plastic surround of the touch screen is not pressing on the edges?

Have you got any quotes for a repair? It might not be as expensive as you think.
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

i'm going to have to say that it's absolutely the humidity where i live this season. i had my XT turned on for about a day, in a room with good air conditioning dehumidifying and (with the internal heat from the electronics and screen light and the dryness of the room) the bubble is gone and screen behaves normally. Makes me wonder how many years of use this abuse has caused it to lose. Now i know i cannot leave my stuff to the elements here in my house. i hate this place.

Sorry for posting my panicked ranting! These are fantastic synths and not cheep, nor available new any more!
dysamoria

Post by dysamoria »

Am i really the ONLY V-Synth XT owner that has this problem????

Every damn summer i have to deal with this. It's not like i can move. i'm dirt poor. Air conditioning doesn't solve it. The only thing that temporarily fixes it is to leave the synth on for hours and let it dry up. It'll happen again if it's sitting off for a few days and it goes above 75 degrees outside. In the winter, this does NOT happen at all.
delta9THC

Post by delta9THC »

Hello.

I have exactly the same problem although I don't see any bubbles.
I live in a city with a lot of humidity, when I take out the vsynth after spending several days in its flightcase everything is ok, but the next day the problems begin.
When turning on the touch screen, nothing works until 15/30 minutes (sometimes more) have elapsed, then everything works perfectly.
I also can't afford to replace the screen.