V-Synth in a modern computer? (Windows 7 64 bits)

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
miguel-z

V-Synth in a modern computer? (Windows 7 64 bits)

Post by miguel-z »

Hi
I'm thinking about buying a V-Synth (first version, updated to v2.0). I know that last drivers are for Windows XP. I use Windows 7 64 bits.
Is V-Synth very limited in a modern computer? For Midi in and out I know that I can use standard Midi. And I don't mind if I can't use it as a soundcard.
But what about downloading samples? I think that the computer sees the V-Syhtn as a external hard disk or pendrive so you can send them from the computer to the synth. Am I Right? And what about the librarian? Does it work?

So, the main question is: How much do I lost using a V-Synth in a modern computer?

Thanks in advance.
Miguel
webdata

Re: V-Synth in a modern computer? (Windows 7 64 bits)

Post by webdata »

Roland released a Windows 7 x64 driver. You can find it here:
http://www.roland.com/support/article/? ... d=17833404

I can report that you lose zero functioinality. It works as a sound device, midi controller, USB drive, etc and the patch librarian works.
miguel-z

Post by miguel-z »

Yes, thanks, but it's for V-Synth GT. Do you know if it works with the first versions of V-Synth updated to OS v 2.0?
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

miguel-z wrote:Hi
I'm thinking about buying a V-Synth (first version, updated to v2.0). I know that last drivers are for Windows XP. I use Windows 7 64 bits.
Is V-Synth very limited in a modern computer? For Midi in and out I know that I can use standard Midi. And I don't mind if I can't use it as a soundcard.
But what about downloading samples? I think that the computer sees the V-Syhtn as a external hard disk or pendrive so you can send them from the computer to the synth. Am I Right? And what about the librarian? Does it work?

So, the main question is: How much do I lost using a V-Synth in a modern computer?
- For MIDI IN/OUT you can use two different ways:
1- Using the MIDI IN/OUT 5-Pin connectors and a MIDI/USB interface (or MIDI Patcher, if you have more devices to interconnect) to connect to the computer
2- Connecting the V-Synth's USB Port directly to the Computer (via a Usb cable of course)

- V-Synth is awesome as a Sound card (I use it every day with my Windows 7 PC) and also is perfect for Sampling

- For Sample import, first you need o import them to the External CF/SD card via the USB transfer function on the main menu. the V-Synth will then appear on your PC as an external Drive. Copy the sample files from the pc and transfer them across and disconnect the Drive. Then from the Sample Import feature do actually IMPORT the samples to free sample slots and play/edit them.

- The Librarian is very nice to actually organize your projects and Add/Delete Patches and move them across different projects. Very powerful !!!
Example: Organize your favorite Project(s) using the Librarian. then save them and copy them to the V-Synth's card (again, using the USB function). Then go to Disk function and choose which one you want to load.
miguel-z wrote:Yes, thanks, but it's for V-Synth GT. Do you know if it works with the first versions of V-Synth updated to OS v 2.0?
Use the V-Synth XT Drivers for the V-Synth. You can find them here

They should work, as the OS is the same.
miguel-z

Post by miguel-z »

Great! Thank you very much.
Fusedbrain

Post by Fusedbrain »

Hi, I'm looking at buying a used V-synth V2 and I would like to know if the following is accurate. I'm sorry to revive an older post. The quote below is from the posting just above this one...

Fused

PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Fusedbrain wrote:Hi, I'm looking at buying a used V-synth V2 and I would like to know if the following is accurate. I'm sorry to revive an older post. The quote below is from the posting just above this one...

Fused

It is accurate yes, as that's exactly what I'm using.

The V-Synth Librarian works like a breeze under Windows 7 and the same applies to both the USB/Data, USB AUDIO and USB MIDI interface.
Fusedbrain

Post by Fusedbrain »

It is accurate yes, as that's exactly what I'm using.

The V-Synth Librarian works like a breeze under Windows 7 and the same applies to both the USB/Data, USB AUDIO and USB MIDI interface.
Thanks PauloF!

I just want to confirm that you're using the V-synth XT Windows 7 64 bit drivers for your V-synth V2. If that's the case this is good news. Wonder why Roland simply don't link to those drivers on their site. It would make a lot of original V-synth users happy. I've read a few posts about disgruntled owners of the original V-synth who were frustrated with the lack of support for Windows 7 64 bit.

Fused
Fusedbrain

Post by Fusedbrain »

Hey guys,

Well I bought a V-Synth v2 and tried to install the V-Synth XT drivers for Windows 7 64 bit as recommended and it doesn't work. It was suggested that the V-Synth XT drivers should work. I tried several ways of getting this done and so far no go.

Has anyone here been successful with installing the V-Synth XT 64 bit drivers for the V-Synth V2? If so I sure would like to know how you managed to do it.

Please help...

Fused
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Fusedbrain wrote:Hey guys,

Well I bought a V-Synth v2 and tried to install the V-Synth XT drivers for Windows 7 64 bit as recommended and it doesn't work. It was suggested that the V-Synth XT drivers should work. I tried several ways of getting this done and so far no go.

Has anyone here been successful with installing the V-Synth XT 64 bit drivers for the V-Synth V2? If so I sure would like to know how you managed to do it.

Please help...

Fused
Can you explain what exactly is not working ?
USB/AUDIO? are you able to use the V-Synth as a computer AUDIO CARD ?
USB/MIDI? Is the V-Synth recognized in your DAW as a MIDI device?
USB/Data? The Librarian works? are u able to transfer files between the V-Synth Card and the computer?

can you give a hint???
Fusedbrain

Post by Fusedbrain »

Hi PauloF,

Well at the moment I can't get anything to work driver wise. When the V-synth is on and usb over midi mode is enabled in the usb config menu the V-synth shows up in my device manager as Roland V-synth but it says no driver has been installed (yellow exclamation point).

I tried installing the V-Synth XT driver by following the readme but when it says to turn on the V-synth and plug in the usb cable it doesn't detect the V-synth. I'm thinking it's because the computer is looking for a V-synth XT. The install process just sits there.

So far I have no connectivity with my windows 7 64 bit computer and my V-synth. Well I know the computer detects it since it's in the device menu with a yellow exclamation point. That's all I have.

Fused
Fusedbrain

Post by Fusedbrain »

Hi PauloF,

Quick update, I can see the V-Synth as a drive in Windows 7 64 bit. It comes up as drive E. So that's good news.

I'm going to keep plugging away here to see what else I can get to work.

Fused
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

stealthgear wrote:The original V-synth will mount on the computer of course, and it should work on any computer with USB. USB-Midi driver is a seperate issue. If you have a midi adapter you are good to go. The librarian and USB midi does not work on the mac anymore I believe. This is what happens when you trust audio companies for software driver updates, you lose some functionality eventually...so always go hardware when possible. This should not be a reason to avoid the V-synth. They are good hardware without the computer. The librarian is not necessary. The midi USB is not entirely necessary.
In fact the Librarian does not use MIDI at all, but unfortunately as stealthgear mentioned, it does not work on a MAC any more. However it still does on a Windows machine.