V-Synth XT VST Plugin

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
PauloF

Re: V-Synth XT VST Plugin

Post by PauloF »

pbk wrote:Hi Paulo. Thanks for testing the plugin.

The order follows the parameter address map of the MIDI implementation. I added numbers in brackets for the instances of modules and zones. But then again, I know I need to improve the access to the parameters and add some sort of user customization.

I have been fiddling with a basic UI to implement in the future to at least show the parameters in a list, so perhaps adding something like a checkbox will do to define user parameter sets. That implies closing and reloading the plugin, not very elegant but it could work.
Or something similar to what was done for the D-50, showing the most used parameters on the screen and having the least used ones on a list ordered by function or something like that... :-)
2:43AM

Post by 2:43AM »

PBK--that sounds good. Let us know, or repost the link, when the revised program is available. I'm sure we'd all be happy to test it out. Also any chance of a RANDOM button?
pbk

Post by pbk »

Random like in randomize parameters?

pbk wrote:Random like in randomize parameters?
Yeah! It would have to have some intelligence (or not) to make an attempt to be "in tune"...maybe! Some hardware synths out there have a RANDOM button that basically randomizes everything...ADSR values, oscillator volumes, types (saw, pulse, sine, etc.), FX types and parameters, etc.

The Waldorf Q has a good random button where some really interesting (and BAD!) sounds can be made. I do want to say that the "intelligence" I previously mentioned is in the Q's random button where, I don't think, it randomizes oscillator semitones. It does change oscillator octaves and detune, however. Therefore, most of the randomized patches sound somewhat music-ready. The Waldorf Blofeld also has a random button. The Access Virus has a random button, although it's a little more tame than the Q's. Many soft synths such as the STS-21, STS-26 and Crystal have random buttons.

It could be a tough thing to implement, but it would be interesting what the V-Synth would come up with!

EDIT: Actually, with respect to the above sentence, it would be interesting to see what your VST would come up with and tell the V-Synth what do do/make. It would perform like so: 1) randomize all parameters and store, 2) send all stored parameters to V-Synth. Of course, some coding probably would need to be set where your VST waits a minimum period between parameter sends, unless a handshaking method is used.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

2:43AM wrote:
pbk wrote:Random like in randomize parameters?
Yeah! It would have to have some intelligence (or not) to make an attempt to be "in tune"...maybe! Some hardware synths out there have a RANDOM button that basically randomizes everything...ADSR values, oscillator volumes, types (saw, pulse, sine, etc.), FX types and parameters, etc.

The Waldorf Q has a good random button where some really interesting (and BAD!) sounds can be made. I do want to say that the "intelligence" I previously mentioned is in the Q's random button where, I don't think, it randomizes oscillator semitones. It does change oscillator octaves and detune, however. Therefore, most of the randomized patches sound somewhat music-ready. The Waldorf Blofeld also has a random button. The Access Virus has a random button, although it's a little more tame than the Q's. Many soft synths such as the STS-21, STS-26 and Crystal have random buttons.

It could be a tough thing to implement, but it would be interesting what the V-Synth would come up with!

EDIT: Actually, with respect to the above sentence, it would be interesting to see what your VST would come up with and tell the V-Synth what do do/make. It would perform like so: 1) randomize all parameters and store, 2) send all stored parameters to V-Synth. Of course, some coding probably would need to be set where your VST waits a minimum period between parameter sends, unless a handshaking method is used.
Maybe something like the Tone Blender function on JP-80, where we could change a few chosen parameters at the same time. That would be really something!
:-)

^^^^^^^
I like that idea too! PauloF knows what's up! :-)
pbk

Post by pbk »

Sounds like a neat idea. But that will definitely need some kind of GUI support to be practical. I will put it in my ToDo list.

I will be away from my synths for a month so I won't be able to test any updates till November. However I do plan to start working on a simple GUI editor for the plugin in the meantime. I will keep you updated.
Silagemaker

Post by Silagemaker »

Any update on editor or does anyone know of one available?
Cheers
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Silagemaker wrote:Any update on editor or does anyone know of one available?
Cheers
Hi Silagemaker!

Unfortunately no, as pbk seems to be away from the forum since Sep 2012, more than 2 years now, and I didn't hear from him since.

Anyway, I can tell you that the V-Synth XT is a breeze to edit from the front panel, which is the way I always use, except for a few parameters that I control from the Keyboard Controller, but all just minor tweaks.
Silagemaker

Post by Silagemaker »

Hi PauloF
Thanks for reply. Just bought one. From what I've heard it's a brilliant . Vastly underrated.
People blame Roland for playing safe but they bring out an innovative synth like the V-Synth and it doesn't set set the world on fire.
Agree that's it's easy to edit from screen but I've it mounted it at a distance from me on a table and the angle makes it difficult to read. Pity I can't stand it vertical. Will find a way.
Thanks again
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Silagemaker wrote:Hi PauloF
Thanks for reply. Just bought one. From what I've heard it's a brilliant . Vastly underrated.
People blame Roland for playing safe but they bring out an innovative synth like the V-Synth and it doesn't set set the world on fire.
Agree that's it's easy to edit from screen but I've it mounted it at a distance from me on a table and the angle makes it difficult to read. Pity I can't stand it vertical. Will find a way.
Thanks again
Hi Silagemaker,
Just to show you how I'm using my V-Synth XT - on a Mini Rack, perfectly reachable by hand
Attachments
IMG_0454.jpg
IMG_0454.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
pbk

Post by pbk »

PauloF wrote:
Silagemaker wrote:Any update on editor or does anyone know of one available?
Cheers
Hi Silagemaker!

Unfortunately no, as pbk seems to be away from the forum since Sep 2012, more than 2 years now, and I didn't hear from him since.

Anyway, I can tell you that the V-Synth XT is a breeze to edit from the front panel, which is the way I always use, except for a few parameters that I control from the Keyboard Controller, but all just minor tweaks.
I'm still around. However work has kept me extremely busy the last couple of years. My XT is sleeping in a storage room, so I haven't been able to continue developing the plugin. I hope I can resume work on it in the near future; I certainly miss it.

Best.
lionelfischer

Post by lionelfischer »

is this available for mac osx ? i see it's a vst, which i can run on my mac, but the file provided has .exe at the end..
samatron

Post by samatron »

Would love to know how you handle the io of data. I'm a software developer, and would be keen to work on a front end editor. I just don't know how the data works. This unit deserves a desktop manager...
daX6fantom

Post by daX6fantom »

I'm interested in a PC controller for the V-Synth GT. I wonder how similar the MIDI messages are between the XT and the GT.