V-Synth XT VST Plugin

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
pbk

V-Synth XT VST Plugin

Post by pbk »

Hi folks.

I have always felt appalled by the lack of a proper remote controller and real-time editor to use with my V-Synth XT, so instead of lingering with my frustration I decided to program my own to take advantage of this wonderful synth. Here is the first early alpha version.

I did this as a VST plugin that translates the parameters to MIDI Sysex requests, so your host must have VST MIDI event processing capabilities. Also, the VSynth has a humungous number of parameters, and since there is currently no custom GUI editor in the plugin, your host may have issues displaying values or giving you access to everything. I am currently exploding all the controllers in each of the 16 zones to provide immediate access to all of them instead of using some kind of paging mechanism. This is specially useful to control the parameters of rhythm kits (eg with automation envelopes). However, if there is much trouble I can rewrite the plugin to have access to only one zone at a time (much like the XT's screen works).

The plugin also includes parameters for the knobs and the XY/TT pad. They send MIDI CC messages with the CC numbers assigned by the respective parameters. Other two 'internal' parameters set the maximum message transmission rate in milliseconds and the target patch which is being modified (the 16 temporary locations plus the 512 user presets).

http://bleyer.org/vst/SetupVSXTCtl0.1.exe

Please note that, although the plugin is mostly useable, there is nothing fancy there (yet). Some known issues are:
  • Parameter feedback is still disabled. That means when the plugin is loaded, it doesn't read the current parameter values from the XT. This is my current work in progress.
  • There is still no internal program (aka patch) handling. Your host may initialize the plugin with weird values, so if you open a project with the plugin, the plugin may send those values to the XT. A future version will implement the functionality to save plugin states (this depends on parameter feedback to be working properly).
  • I am still working on correctly interpreting the values of generic parameters for the MFX, Chorus and Reverb, so they still don't update as expected.
  • As I explained above, hosts may have problems processing all the plugin reported parameters. I really don't have any control over this except to use paged zones in a later revision of the plugin as a workaround.
I have tested the plugin mostly with REAPER and FL Studio. REAPER allows access to all the parameters through the trim assignment window. However the default GUI editor does not show sliders for all the parameters. FL Studio takes almost a minute to load the plugin when creating the default GUI editor with the usual parameter knobs, and unfortunately has a hard limit on the number of parameters it handles, therefore there is currently no access to all of them through the window or the browser.

I don't know if there is much interest for something like this out there. I'll be glad to hear back from you if you try the plugin in your DAW to see how it works, and if you find any bugs or have suggestions.

Cheers.

PauloF

Re: V-Synth XT VST Plugin

Post by PauloF »

pbk wrote:Hi folks.

I have always felt appalled by the lack of a proper remote controller and real-time editor to use with my V-Synth XT, so instead of lingering with my frustration I decided to program my own to take advantage of this wonderful synth. Here is the first early alpha version.

I did this as a VST plugin that translates the parameters to MIDI Sysex requests, so your host must have VST MIDI event processing capabilities. Also, the VSynth has a humungous number of parameters, and since there is currently no custom GUI editor in the plugin, your host may have issues displaying values or giving you access to everything. I am currently exploding all the controllers in each of the 16 zones to provide immediate access to all of them instead of using some kind of paging mechanism. This is specially useful to control the parameters of rhythm kits (eg with automation envelopes). However, if there is much trouble I can rewrite the plugin to have access to only one zone at a time (much like the XT's screen works).

The plugin also includes parameters for the knobs and the XY/TT pad. They send MIDI CC messages with the CC numbers assigned by the respective parameters. Other two 'internal' parameters set the maximum message transmission rate in milliseconds and the target patch which is being modified (the 16 temporary locations plus the 512 user presets).

http://bleyer.org/vst/SetupVSXTCtl0.1.exe

Please note that, although the plugin is mostly useable, there is nothing fancy there (yet). Some known issues are:
  • Parameter feedback is still disabled. That means when the plugin is loaded, it doesn't read the current parameter values from the XT. This is my current work in progress.
  • There is still no internal program (aka patch) handling. Your host may initialize the plugin with weird values, so if you open a project with the plugin, the plugin may send those values to the XT. A future version will implement the functionality to save plugin states (this depends on parameter feedback to be working properly).
  • I am still working on correctly interpreting the values of generic parameters for the MFX, Chorus and Reverb, so they still don't update as expected.
  • As I explained above, hosts may have problems processing all the plugin reported parameters. I really don't have any control over this except to use paged zones in a later revision of the plugin as a workaround.
I have tested the plugin mostly with REAPER and FL Studio. REAPER allows access to all the parameters through the trim assignment window. However the default GUI editor does not show sliders for all the parameters. FL Studio takes almost a minute to load the plugin when creating the default GUI editor with the usual parameter knobs, and unfortunately has a hard limit on the number of parameters it handles, therefore there is currently no access to all of them through the window or the browser.

I don't know if there is much interest for something like this out there. I'll be glad to hear back from you if you try the plugin in your DAW to see how it works, and if you find any bugs or have suggestions.

Cheers.

I'm a XT guy, and I'm happy to test your VST and give my opinion.

Cheers
Paulo
pbk

Post by pbk »

Hello Paulo.

That sounds great. Please keep me updated. I keep working on the plugin. Parameter feedback is implemented but I still need to do some improvements and code cleanup before making a new release. Soon, hopefully.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hello Mr. Pbk

Congratulations on your creation !!!
In the next year you will make a standalone version?

Thank you very much.
pbk

Post by pbk »

Murdock wrote:Hello Mr. Pbk

Congratulations on your creation !!!
In the next year you will make a standalone version?

Thank you very much.
Hi Murdock.

I don't know if a standalone version will be much useful. My main idea is to automate parameters with this, so it is basically meant to be used inside a DAW. Granted, the ability to save patches will be there too, so it could be used as a librarian app. I will test the plugin inside those freeware single plugin VST hosts (SAVIHost, MiniHost) for that purpose. I am also implementing a very simple UI (sliders or knobs), therefore using those hosts will make the plugin work as a standalone app.

Regards.
pbk

Post by pbk »

BTW, the plugin works quite well in SAVIHost, you can control all parameters with it.

Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Hello Mr. Pbk

OK. thanks for clearing my doubt.

Bye.
2:43AM

Post by 2:43AM »

Does not work in Sonar X1. Locks up entire program when attempt was made to insert it into an audio track or when loading it as a soft synth (via the drop down menu and/or synth rack view). Bummer.

Should I not be trying to use it within a DAW?

I also tried it in SAVIHost. It works!

However, the 64-bit version of SAVIHost does not load it--error. Not like that matters much! But so far so good! MIDI and audio works after setup and configuration of the application. No to put it through its paces!
pbk

Post by pbk »

Thanks for the report. I am actually looking into the X1 issue.

It won't work in the 64bit version of SaviHost since it's a 32bit dll. ;)

pbk wrote:Thanks for the report. I am actually looking into the X1 issue.

It won't work in the 64bit version of SaviHost since it's a 32bit dll. ;)
Well, my version of X1 is 64-bit, so that may have something to do with it, although BitBridge should encapsulate and run the VST in a pseudo-32-bit environment. Hmm...

Other that, the app/vst is pretty cool. The only drawback is the sheer amount of parameters in list format! Is there any way to pick-n-choose "favorites" and build a custom list?
pbk

Post by pbk »

As you say, bridging should take care of it. The problem seems to be somewhere else. I will need time to experiment.

The main idea of the vst was to export everything to have full control. It's a shame the vst framework assumes a plugin will have a fixed number of parameters and hosts don't expect those to be a big number. One idea is to create a configuration file that the plugin reads when it is loaded, perhaps assigning ids to the parameters. I will put that in my ToDo list, which at this point is growing more than I'd like. ;) The truth is that a plugin like this opens a lot of creative possibilities.

pbk wrote: The main idea of the vst was to export everything to have full control. It's a shame the vst framework assumes a plugin will have a fixed number of parameters and hosts don't expect those to be a big number. One idea is to create a configuration file that the plugin reads when it is loaded, perhaps assigning ids to the parameters. I will put that in my ToDo list, which at this point is growing more than I'd like. ;) The truth is that a plugin like this opens a lot of creative possibilities.
You certainly are putting in the effort, which is appreciated. After all, this is the only programmer for the V-Synth that I know of. I plan on using it more in the near future and seeing what's possible!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

pbk wrote:As you say, bridging should take care of it. The problem seems to be somewhere else. I will need time to experiment.

The main idea of the vst was to export everything to have full control. It's a shame the vst framework assumes a plugin will have a fixed number of parameters and hosts don't expect those to be a big number. One idea is to create a configuration file that the plugin reads when it is loaded, perhaps assigning ids to the parameters. I will put that in my ToDo list, which at this point is growing more than I'd like. ;) The truth is that a plugin like this opens a lot of creative possibilities.
Hi pbk,
Nice plugin!
I've been experimenting with it and the only thing I would do in the next "evolution" would be trying to group the commands on a more logical way, as the list is not very user friendly when looking for something specific.

Apart from that, it is a lot of fun!
Cheers,
Paulo
pbk

Post by pbk »

Hi Paulo. Thanks for testing the plugin.

The order follows the parameter address map of the MIDI implementation. I added numbers in brackets for the instances of modules and zones. But then again, I know I need to improve the access to the parameters and add some sort of user customization.

I have been fiddling with a basic UI to implement in the future to at least show the parameters in a list, so perhaps adding something like a checkbox will do to define user parameter sets. That implies closing and reloading the plugin, not very elegant but it could work.