Advice needed

Forum for V-Synth, V-Synth XT, V-Synth GT and V-cards
Vlad_77

Advice needed

Post by Vlad_77 »

Hey mighty V-Synth wizards, I need some advice please!

I want to add another synth to my rig - yep, serious G.A.S. I've been really lusting after a V-Synth for a while but I am somewhat unsure what might be the best choice.

Some people seem to prefer the XT, others the GT, and still others the original V-Synth 2.0. I was listening to demos of the V-Synth 2.0 and I have to say I was blown away. V-Synth XT is rather hard to locate here and I really don't have the resources at this point to get a GT. The bands I am in write originals with the intention of exploring the trails blazed by The Beatles and Pink Floyd - sonically of course, not to sound like these legends. It seems to me that the V-Synth would be a great addition to my existing gear. I will list it and I think you'll agree that the V-Synth would fill a serious gap:

Live use:
Korg Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3, Motif ES

Home use (basic song writing ideas): Fantom X8, XV-88, Radias

Now the question is, if you were me - and be thankful you aren't ;), would you snag a V-Synth 2.0 - seen these as low as 750 USD - or try to locate a V-Synth XT? (I don't need the D-50 sounds but they are a nice bonus).

Thanks all!

Best,
Vlad

PS: The V-Synth would replace the Motif ES for live use.
Monib

Re: Advice needed

Post by Monib »

Are you looking for performing synth? The V-Synth's Time Trip pad and the D-Beam are great for performancing/ Midi control, that you can't get on the XT. But the V-Synth doesn't have a great vocoder (you can get the add-on card). The thing I didn't like about the XT was the Time Trip pad, seemed a little laggy, but that was after I had tried a V-Synth Keyboard.

V-Synth -- Peformance
XT -- Vocoder/D50
GT -- Both.

In a mix, I don't think you'll hear a sonic difference. So get what you think will give you more use. Since you have plenty of keyboard and such.

I, for one, had a V-Synth GT, sold it, then got a V-Synth Regular, but missed the vocoder, and then got an XT, then I missed the performance controls, and I went back to the GT.

In the end, they're all great Synths, and you'll have a lot of fun messing with them.
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

You won't regret the mighty V for one moment Vlad. Elastic Audio can just be so infectious!

I have both the XT and two GT's and I use them all quite a lot. In fact, other than the OASYS, they have become my primary workhorses in the Soundworld, the XT mainly for monster pads and arpeggiations and the GT for lead guitar and horns.

As Monib alluded to in the previous post, your choice between an original V 2.0 and an XT presents quite a hard choice because either gives you some options that the other doesn't have. If you don't need the Vocal Designer either, than I suppose the original V-Synth is the best choice for live performance since it has the D-Beams which you might miss on the XT.

On the other hand, keep in mind that the GT has a dual core engine, and as such affords the availability of 4 OSC's and 4 COSM effects instead of only two each respectively. Also, the big feature that I still love on the GT is the addition of AP-S (Articulative Phrase Synthesis), which, before the SuperNATURAL came out on the Jupiters and the Integra, filled the void left by the incompleteness of the ARX.

Take the time to watch some of the You Tube videos on the different V's which may help you decide better which will suit you best. Whichever one you get, keep in mind that there are thousands of free patches for the V's available through this very site.

Best regards,
.:':.DH.:':.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Vlad_77 wrote:Hey mighty V-Synth wizards, I need some advice please!

I want to add another synth to my rig - yep, serious G.A.S. I've been really lusting after a V-Synth for a while but I am somewhat unsure what might be the best choice.

Some people seem to prefer the XT, others the GT, and still others the original V-Synth 2.0. I was listening to demos of the V-Synth 2.0 and I have to say I was blown away. V-Synth XT is rather hard to locate here and I really don't have the resources at this point to get a GT. The bands I am in write originals with the intention of exploring the trails blazed by The Beatles and Pink Floyd - sonically of course, not to sound like these legends. It seems to me that the V-Synth would be a great addition to my existing gear. I will list it and I think you'll agree that the V-Synth would fill a serious gap:

Live use:
Korg Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3, Motif ES

Home use (basic song writing ideas): Fantom X8, XV-88, Radias

Now the question is, if you were me - and be thankful you aren't ;), would you snag a V-Synth 2.0 - seen these as low as 750 USD - or try to locate a V-Synth XT? (I don't need the D-50 sounds but they are a nice bonus).

Thanks all!

Best,
Vlad

PS: The V-Synth would replace the Motif ES for live use.
Well...Monib and SW said it all, and they are indeed 3 killer machines.

The GT:
- has the advantage of having two V-Synths at the same time with the flexibility that this config brings, especially the double ARP and the separate Effects sections (this one, being the most important to me).
- It also has APS which is awesome!
- having Vocal Designer accessible at the same time (without reload) it's a big advantage for me.

The Original V-Synth:
- it has 16 Part Multitimbrality which can be used to layer sounds in a way that the GT can't do at all (until you exhaust the 24 available voices).
- it adds the flexibility of manipulating Parts and MIDI channels the way you like, that the GT can't do at all
- Most user friendly of them regarding front-panel controls, compared to the GT

The XT:
- All the advantages the Original V has less the Accessible Controls plus the VC1 (D-50 emulation) and VC2 (Vocal Designer) built in

I do have a V-Synth XT, which for my use is perfect, which is mainly studio (very rare and occasional gigs), but if I could I would definitely buy a GT to complete my rig.

If your intention is to use it more for performance, I think the original V and the GT will be more suitable due to the readily accessible controls (lots of Buttons, Timetrip, D-Beam, Mod lever), the GT giving more simultaneous options, but if money is an issue, and APS and Vocal Designer are not mandatory, the Original V will most surely please you.

Cheers,
Paulo
IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo »

I wouldn't advise you to buy the V. It's a great synth, but for the things you want, it doesn't really shine. From what I hear, you want a synthesizer to work with standard synthesis, and that's the V's weakness. It's raw analog oscillators are mediocre and won't make you happy.

Maybe that's not what every V user wants to hear, but it's the true. Based on your needs, I think that a Virus TI would be better. Maybe a Virus B Keyboard for the price range you're looking for. You'll be very happy to choose it.

The V is a great synth for modern/crazy sounds, but not for simulating analog gear.

Cheers!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

IgorCristo wrote:I wouldn't advise you to buy the V. It's a great synth, but for the things you want, it doesn't really shine. From what I hear, you want a synthesizer to work with standard synthesis, and that's the V's weakness. It's raw analog oscillators are mediocre and won't make you happy.

Maybe that's not what every V user wants to hear, but it's the true. Based on your needs, I think that a Virus TI would be better. Maybe a Virus B Keyboard for the price range you're looking for. You'll be very happy to choose it.

The V is a great synth for modern/crazy sounds, but not for simulating analog gear.

Cheers!
I didn't know you were a V detractor... Lol

On a pure synthesis view, I agree that the Vs are not the best especially on high frequency range sounds, but nevertheless they are not so bad as you mention.

Anyway, all depends on the use that each one gives to it that makes the real "it" and makes them shine ( or not).

Take care
metallo

Post by metallo »

I would definitively suggest a V Synth instead.
I have a kronos and a V Synth GT myself and I think they are beautifully complementary.

For the classic VA sounds the kronos is a beast, MS20, Polysix, AL-1 alone cover all his needs, the V-Synth is a fantastic addition that will offer features not present in the Kronos.

OT...Vlad, the same Vlad in the korg community? :)
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

metallo wrote:I would definitively suggest a V Synth instead.
I have a kronos and a V Synth GT myself and I think they are beautifully complementary.

For the classic VA sounds the kronos is a beast, MS20, Polysix, AL-1 alone cover all his needs, the V-Synth is a fantastic addition that will offer features not present in the Kronos.

Hi Metallo,

Yep, same Vlad as in Korg Forums - I hope that's not a bad thing? :) The V-Synth definitely is on my radar and I hope I can find a good enough deal on one as I still want to add another Kronos. I will have to get a used one it seems because Sweetwater is still charging 3499 USD for a V-Synth GT. I've been cheching EU dealers as well and Thomann had the best price coming in at around 2300 USD but they are all sold out and there is no indication of restock. Some great deals on Ebay (US) but most I've been finding don't ship internationally. I've been told by a number of Dutch musicians that folks here in Holland don't use Ebay a lot, but rather Markplaats. I've been checking everyday but so far no luck. I won't have the money until next week anyhow so, I am hoping that a ton of these will all of a sudden appear. :)

I just truly believe that V-Synth will offer some interesting Beatles/Pink Floyd type textures that I want to incorporate into some originals as well as being able to approximate some sonic goodness in real time when covering songs like Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows, etc. using the time trip feature. I know that some of this is possible with Kronos, but, the V-Synth really seems to be for creating very cool synthscapes (is that a word? lol) and besides, I have been GASsing for V-Synth for a cfew years, but the PC3 Kronos, and Jupiter 80 kind of got to my wallet first.

Good to "see" you over here as well and thank you for the advice! Now to actually snag one! :)

Best,
Vlad
metallo

Post by metallo »

Vlad_77 wrote:
metallo wrote:I would definitively suggest a V Synth instead.

Hi Metallo,

Yep, same Vlad as in Korg Forums - I hope that's not a bad thing? :) The V-Synth definitely is on my radar and I hope I can find a good enough deal on one as I still want to add another Kronos. I will have to get a used one it seems because Sweetwater is still charging 3499 USD for a V-Synth GT. I've been cheching EU dealers as well and Thomann had the best price coming in at around 2300 USD but they are all sold out and there is no indication of restock. Some great deals on Ebay (US) but most I've been finding don't ship internationally. I've been told by a number of Dutch musicians that folks here in Holland don't use Ebay a lot, but rather Markplaats. I've been checking everyday but so far no luck. I won't have the money until next week anyhow so, I am hoping that a ton of these will all of a sudden appear. :)

I just truly believe that V-Synth will offer some interesting Beatles/Pink Floyd type textures that I want to incorporate into some originals as well as being able to approximate some sonic goodness in real time when covering songs like Strawberry Fields Forever, Tomorrow Never Knows, etc. using the time trip feature. I know that some of this is possible with Kronos, but, the V-Synth really seems to be for creating very cool synthscapes (is that a word? lol) and besides, I have been GASsing for V-Synth for a cfew years, but the PC3 Kronos, and Jupiter 80 kind of got to my wallet first.

Good to "see" you over here as well and thank you for the advice! Now to actually snag one! :)

Best,
Vlad

No it's not, just curious :)
Actually is not that easy to find good deals for the Vs, I have been very lucky and got a GT in mint conditions 6 months ago for few bucks, about 900 eur.....a SUPER deal actually.

The synth is absolutely stunning, you can create very weird textures and the COSM makes the big difference with all the other synths, in my opinion.

Good luck with your search, hope you'll get one soon, it's the perfect partner for your current machines.
metallo

Post by metallo »

I think this is a great deal:

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSH ... N8r7kw1W4=

I bought from them several times (mainly when the stuff I'm looking for is out of stock in Thomann) and they are very serious.
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

Found a V-Synth and picking it up today. The seller claims it is like new but I get to try it out before buying it. The only thing that worries me - and I posted elsewhere in this section of RC is that it is a version ONE V-Synth. The downloadable upgrade to make it a 2.0 is on Roland's site but the drivers state that the needed OS is Win 98, ME, and 2000. I run a Win 7 machine and a Win 8. I am hopeful that if these don't work, my girlfriend's Mac will.

If not, and the synth is in as good good condition as the seller claims, it's still a welcome addition to my rig. Its sound design possibilities are staggering - even the very first iteration. I also found a cool e-book aptly named The V-Synth Book. I couldn't sleep last night so I read through it a bit and wow, this synth can do some crazy stuff- and the book was written by an author using a version one V-Synth.

I want to thank all of you for your help and advice. I wish it could have been a GT but, I had to stay under 1000 euros for my own budget. I paid 700 euros for this and I am guessing that's a bit high, but, at least on Synthmania and the precious few YouTube videos on version 1.0 were really impressive and it does pretty much fill in what I need sonically.

Now to decide which existing keyboard I have to slave it too. I don't want to slave it to my Fantom X8 or XV-88 because I can't gig with those monsters here. I like the Jupiter 80 working all on its own, so that leaves slaving it to Kronos or having the V-Synth control the Radias. I use the Motif ES rack purely for bread and butter stuff and I can't imagine that it and a V-Synth would actually sound that good together. Similarly, I don't think the Kurzweil would be the best fit. So, I am going to try slaving Radias to V-Synth.

LOL I know that for you guys this is old hat, and I'm sorry to ramble on but, I am so fired up about V-Synth! I used to read this section occasionally and I was so envious. Now at least, I can read the older posts and learn somethings I can use. :)

You people are great!

Best,
Vlad
metallo

Post by metallo »

Well done, the V-original is still a great synth.

I have my GT as slave of my Kronos and it is great :)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Vlad_77 wrote:Found a V-Synth and picking it up today. The seller claims it is like new but I get to try it out before buying it. The only thing that worries me - and I posted elsewhere in this section of RC is that it is a version ONE V-Synth. The downloadable upgrade to make it a 2.0 is on Roland's site but the drivers state that the needed OS is Win 98, ME, and 2000. I run a Win 7 machine and a Win 8. I am hopeful that if these don't work, my girlfriend's Mac will.

If not, and the synth is in as good good condition as the seller claims, it's still a welcome addition to my rig. Its sound design possibilities are staggering - even the very first iteration. I also found a cool e-book aptly named The V-Synth Book. I couldn't sleep last night so I read through it a bit and wow, this synth can do some crazy stuff- and the book was written by an author using a version one V-Synth.

I want to thank all of you for your help and advice. I wish it could have been a GT but, I had to stay under 1000 euros for my own budget. I paid 700 euros for this and I am guessing that's a bit high, but, at least on Synthmania and the precious few YouTube videos on version 1.0 were really impressive and it does pretty much fill in what I need sonically.

Now to decide which existing keyboard I have to slave it too. I don't want to slave it to my Fantom X8 or XV-88 because I can't gig with those monsters here. I like the Jupiter 80 working all on its own, so that leaves slaving it to Kronos or having the V-Synth control the Radias. I use the Motif ES rack purely for bread and butter stuff and I can't imagine that it and a V-Synth would actually sound that good together. Similarly, I don't think the Kurzweil would be the best fit. So, I am going to try slaving Radias to V-Synth.

LOL I know that for you guys this is old hat, and I'm sorry to ramble on but, I am so fired up about V-Synth! I used to read this section occasionally and I was so envious. Now at least, I can read the older posts and learn somethings I can use. :)

You people are great!

Best,
Vlad
Welcome to The "V-tribe" Vlad!!

Maybe you seen this before, but in case you didn't, take a look to these books:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... hBook1.pdf

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pd ... hBook2.pdf

Take care
Paulo
SoundworldA.D.

Post by SoundworldA.D. »

Yippee! And another gets the V-bug!

Congrats Vlad, and you will be playing this thing and checking out all of those free patches for weeks! Some choice Italian that comes to mind when playing the V...

Senza parole! Spettacolare!

An OASYS (or KRONOS, or an M3), a Jupiter-80 (or Jupiter-50) and a V-Synth...now that is indeed a mighty triumvirate!

Let the elastic audio be stretched to wild abandon. And the music says "yeah!!!"
Vlad_77

Post by Vlad_77 »

SoundworldA.D. wrote:Yippee! And another gets the V-bug!

Congrats Vlad, and you will be playing this thing and checking out all of those free patches for weeks! Some choice Italian that comes to mind when playing the V...

Senza parole! Spettacolare!

An OASYS (or KRONOS, or an M3), a Jupiter-80 (or Jupiter-50) and a V-Synth...now that is indeed a mighty triumvirate!

Let the elastic audio be stretched to wild abandon. And the music says "yeah!!!"
Hahaha!!!

Hey Soundworld!!

I just updated it to version 2 and ... truly blown away! What an amazing synth. Okay, I know all of you KNOW that, but, damn I just have to tell someone! I love the gear in my rig, but, there is something so organic about V-Synth. This has to be one of the most inspiring synths I have ever EVER played.

Yesterday was a bad day because I got royally screwed over by a bandmate. It's been tough here in Holland and I have a great offer to play keys in a band back in the US. Not an easy decision. Rather than stay mired in fury at this dude, I did the upgrade, and this synth was just the ticket. I turned off the lights and this was the only board in my rig I turned on. I just played and you know how every once in awhile, it feels like it's not you playing anymore but rather, how do I explain it, you are just part of the universe that is creating itself and evolving. That's what I felt and everything bad for that excursion into the universe just vanished. :) God I LOVE music!!!

Sorry folks, I'll end this soon, it's just that there's no one around to share this joy with! Please bear with with me? :)

I've been thinking of what instrument in my rig to MIDI it to. The first thought was V-Synth driving the Radias - something that might be insane. ;) I am also thinking of doing weird things with MOD-7 in Kronos and V-Synth - could be a trip! It plays so well with the Jupiter 80 that I like the sound of the two not layered. The Kurzweil PC3 and Motif ES are already in a relationship an the XV-88 is just happy to be. That leaves the Fantom X8 and its cool skip back sampling - okay, getting carried away here! I think for awhile the V-Synth will sing with her own voice and the others will join in separately to create a whole. (No I don't use all 8 synths in the band BTW :) ). Live use is going to be Kronos, Jupiter 80, and V-Synth.

I know this is all rather silly me going on about this great instrument, but this baby is pure magic.

Thanks to all who have given me advice on V-Synth and encouraged me to take the plunge, especially Metallo, Macska, Soundworld, and PauloF!

Cheers to all in the V Tribe!!!!!!